anyone using 4G Nexus 5 in BKK ? / how to limit permissions w/o root?

chubby

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked Nexus 5 directly from google, thinking that will give me some kind of warranty and CS support and OS updates. vs. a One Plus one phone, same price better specs.

but, with One Plus 1 , I could limit permission access of apps, with privacy guard, with Nexus 5 , i believe to limit permissions, I'd have to root the phone, which I'd be concerned would void any warranty , etc.

anyone limiting permissions some other way on a Android phone?

this is the main thing that I don't like about smartphones, is the default, if for most apps, to have access, to all your private data for some reason, and track you etc........

Don't worry about loosing warranty by rooting a Nexus 5. After all these are made for developers and re-flashing, rooting is ALLOWED. You can't brick them (at least not unless you do some very bad mistakes like flashing the wrong modem firmware and even that might be reversible). And you can always flash the normal stock firmware back (available for download directly from google) and there is no flag which would void warranty from flashing.

Just go ahead, get a Nexus. You won't regret it. I'm ONLY on Nexus phones for years because of this.

(For limit permissions, I use the Xposed framework and load the AppOpsExposed Extension in it. Together with BootManager, which allows me to specify which Apps should run at startup, this gives me a lot of control back.)

thanks very much, very helpful, btw, are you using a DTAC data plan, if so which do you recommend? i've heard they use LTE band 1 which the Nexus 5 uses

Edited by chubby

I have a Nexus 4, from Google/USA, I also have a Nexus 5 (D821 variant, purchased from DTAC on large discount/promotion, came with a heavily discounted plan, also an extended warranty).

I immediately unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone. But I am running stock FW (KTU84P). The phone is easy to un-root, and re-lock the bootloader.

Maybe check on XDA to see what apps, options, settings or even custom ROMs meet your privacy requirements? http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5

I get LTE (Band 1/2100) in nearly every location in metro-Bangkok, even the MRT, where I spend most of my time. Typically 17/10 Mbps.

I think the U.S. Play Store is pretty much sold out of N5's. Doubt the warranty from the U.S. would be honored by LG here, but review the warranty card to see who the warranty agent is.

Edited by lomatopo

the nexus 5 was out of stock, last week, this week, back in stock, 16gb $ 359.44 with shipping

never thought i'd ever spend this much on a phone, but maybe i'll be a laptop/phone or desktop/phone guy instead of a laptop/desktop

though, i'm old school linux person, i'm not sure about rooting expensive phones, unless i'm about 100% sure on the process

why do you spend most of your time in the MRT?

I have a Nexus 4, from Google/USA, I also have a Nexus 5 (D821 variant, purchased from DTAC on large discount/promotion, came with a heavily discounted plan, also an extended warranty).

I immediately unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone. But I am running stock FW (KTU84P). The phone is easy to un-root, and re-lock the bootloader.

Maybe check on XDA to see what apps, options, settings or even custom ROMs meet your privacy requirements? http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5

I get LTE (Band 1/2100) in nearly every location in metro-Bangkok, even the MRT, where I spend most of my time. Typically 17/10 Mbps.

I think the U.S. Play Store is pretty much sold out of N5's. Doubt the warranty from the U.S. would be honored by LG here, but review the warranty card to see who the warranty agent is.

the nexus 5 was out of stock, last week, this week, back in stock, 16gb $

359.44 with shipping

never thought i'd ever spend this much on a phone, but maybe i'll be a laptop/phone or desktop/phone guy instead of a laptop/desktop

though, i'm old school linux person, i'm not sure about rooting expensive phones, unless i'm about 100% sure on the process

"why do you spend most of your time in the MRT"

He the driver!

Punctuation is a funny thing, probably not taught anymore? I spend most of my time in metro-Bangkok, and often travel on the subway. TrueMove H may have a wider deployment of LTE/2100?

You can use an automated tool to root the phone, easy-peasey, in case you find the normal process overly challenging.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

The D820 variant is better for the U.S., it has AWS (for T-Mo), and it doesn't have LTE/1800, which may get deployed here in the future, but that's not a deal-breaker.

If you never rooted or flashed a device.. don't start with your $500 phone.

Meh. Nexus devices are quite easy, simple, straight-forward to unlock the bootloader and root.

I think the newer devices: Nexus 6, Nexus 9 along with Android 5.0/L may require a slightly different process, but it's still simple, at least as I understand it.

I plan to update to 5.0 as soon as released factory images are available for Hammerhead; ~ Nov. 3?

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=de

FWIW, I would recommend ordering that phone ASAP as it will likely be sold out shortly. When I checked a few days all models were sold out, but maybe they found some black/16 GB units at the bottom of the pile of returns?

Edited by lomatopo

the black on google play website, on the home page, where i spend most of my time, also has it in 32 GB version, but no one would want a returned black one.

If you never rooted or flashed a device.. don't start with your $500 phone.

Meh. Nexus devices are quite easy, simple, straight-forward to unlock the bootloader and root.

I think the newer devices: Nexus 6, Nexus 9 along with Android 5.0/L may require a slightly different process, but it's still simple, at least as I understand it.

I plan to update to 5.0 as soon as released factory images are available for Hammerhead; ~ Nov. 3?

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=de

FWIW, I would recommend ordering that phone ASAP as it will likely be sold out shortly. When I checked a few days all models were sold out, but maybe they found some black/16 GB units at the bottom of the pile of returns?

so does this sound like a D821 ? as this seems to be what i ordered

Network
2G/3G/4G LTE
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

Punctuation is a funny thing, probably not taught anymore? I spend most of my time in metro-Bangkok, and often travel on the subway. TrueMove H may have a wider deployment of LTE/2100?

You can use an automated tool to root the phone, easy-peasey, in case you find the normal process overly challenging.

The D820 variant is better for the U.S., it has AWS (for T-Mo), and it doesn't have LTE/1800, which may get deployed here in the future, but that's not a deal-breaker.

so does this sound like a D821 ? as this seems to be what i ordered

Network

2G/3G/4G LTE

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10

WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19

LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

You got the 820

If you purchased it from the Google Play Store in the U.S.A. it is the D820 variant. This is the best model for the U.S., but it will work fine here in Thailand on GSM (900/1800), WCDMA (850/2100) and LTE Band 1 (2100).

It will not work on LTE/1800, which may be auctioned/built-out here sometime in the future.

You can buy a localized D821 here for 12,500 THB all in.

I love this case, BTW: http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Black-Flexible-Nexus/dp/B00FZ14E3S

post-9615-0-58400200-1414737284_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-10392600-1414737312_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

do you just keep the phone in your pocket with your case ? Maybe I can return the bumper case for yours

i bought google bumper case and

Maxboost Google Nexus 5 Case Shell Holster Combo (Black)- Premium Dual Layer Protective Holster Case Cover with Build-In Kickstand Fits All Versions o
Sold by power-innovation

If you purchased it from the Google Play Store in the U.S.A. it is the D820 variant. This is the best model for the U.S., but it will work fine here in Thailand on GSM (900/1800), WCDMA (850/2100) and LTE Band 1 (2100).

It will not work on LTE/1800, which may be auctioned/built-out here sometime in the future.

I love this case, BTW: http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Black-Flexible-Nexus/dp/B00FZ14E3S

what do you like about the diztronic case, i'm about to buy it, i returned the other two cases, the buttons hard to push on the google bumper case

what screen protector if any do you use?

which ROM do you use for the Xposed framework, i'm a newbie, on rooting phones, but did buy a N5 and would like to get started

if i root and flash a new ROM, what happens when google pushes out the new Lollipop OS ?

Don't worry about loosing warranty by rooting a Nexus 5. After all these are made for developers and re-flashing, rooting is ALLOWED. You can't brick them (at least not unless you do some very bad mistakes like flashing the wrong modem firmware and even that might be reversible). And you can always flash the normal stock firmware back (available for download directly from google) and there is no flag which would void warranty from flashing.

Just go ahead, get a Nexus. You won't regret it. I'm ONLY on Nexus phones for years because of this.

(For limit permissions, I use the Xposed framework and load the AppOpsExposed Extension in it. Together with BootManager, which allows me to specify which Apps should run at startup, this gives me a lot of control back.)