Full-moon party only at Haad Rin

Lite Beer

I think whatever the reason behind it, this is a really good idea. The full Moon parties are a legend and form the basis of many a backpackers first experience of the crazy wide world outside of their own homeland. 98.5%* of all those that attend the parties have a great time and don't end up being raped or murdered. They pack up their packs next day and wander off elsewhere, never to return, but with a head full of memories of a crazy night on the beach under the full moon in Thailand.

The proliferation of so called "Full Moon Parties" away from Haad Rin Beach was getting ridiculous, and I'm glad they have been stopped. If younglings want to go crazy lets let them do it one day a month in a relatively safe environment, one which can be policed and secured easily enough. Haad Rin is the perfect spot for it..

*(not actual figure just something I made up)

Places other than Had Rin, half-moon, dark-moon etc are simply a chance for locals to try and get another bite at the tourist baht.

They tend to be under policed and less controlled.

In the long-term I don't expect this announcement to change things but I have been wrong before.

Yes, it's good that youngsters can feel free to let their hair down and have their 'days of being wild'. But many of them are ill-prepared for this kind of environment...drinks served in buckets, freely available drugs such as 'E', no parental or other control. I don't want to stop fun but the fun should be safe and sensible. A bit on the edge, sure, but not the out of control scenes reported by those attending these 'raves'.

You are showing your age. I think.... There are many issues you could have pointed out regarding the dangers at a FMP but buckets and drugs such as E are not them , You make it sound so evil, 'E' is widely available everywhere on this planet and is really not harmful to the individual or society , particularly compared to other nasty drugs becoming vogue, and more widely used out here. I have to say I was shocked at the average age of the party goer last time i went there, Mind you is was during the European summer hols so lots of 17 year old gap students . the problem with the FMP is not drugs but the sheer size and the fact that there is no and cannot be any kind of regulation. or security as its completely open . There are way to many businesses cashing in on this monthly event to let anything change.

Personally I would like to see t all the other parties carry on and some how restrict the volume of passengers allowed to enter the island by boat during the 2 or 3 day prior to the FMP . The party was better when it was half the size anyway. now its not about the quality of the party but how much cash can be squeezed out of it... Its a problem with society and greed, typically of life today anywhere.

• Like 1

What is making me laugh (and cry) here is that there are numerous people banging on about the link between these parties and the sad deaths of the 2 English 20 somethings last month. If I remember rightly those 2 had been in a BAR and they had been focused on alcohol (check all the photos). There was a party on a beach with a guitar!

In short people using the Koh Tao incident as an excuse to ban these parties are a little like using an incident of drunk driving as a reason to lower the speed limit....just doesn't make any sense.

In my life I have worked in pubs, bars and DJed in clubs and at raves. The lowest crime levels have always been at rural pubs followed by illegal raves and then big city clubs. The highest crime issues have been city bars and pubs and regional nightclubs (god they're the worst) where there is a massive focus on extended drinking. Sexual crime? Mostly in the home and alcohol based. Domestic crime? Mostly alcohol based. Read up about it, get educated then come back.

The "parties" in KPN and KT have issues because of cross-cultural differences and the lack of any particular interest in effective policing and management. Most of the illegal raves I went to in the 90s were better organised and managed than any club in Thailand. Whilst Thailand does not educate itself in its visitors and the visitors do not educate themselves in Thailand these crimes will happen whether it is bar related or "party" related (and most these parties have numerous bars and a massive alcohol focus).

It seems to me that most people on here looking to ban these parties have axes to grind. If you suffer because they are now intruding into your lives because of the lack of proper zoning then I get it. If you are just grumpy and think having a great time is had by propping up a bar do yourself a favour. Go to your local bar and don't drink. Spend the evening looking around and spot how many people are smiling....not too many. "Regulars" are almost always sad people with nothing much going for their lives....or they would be doing that instead.

If Thailand is going to enjoy the money stream that comes from these then it has to take the responsibility for ensuring the environments and infrastructure supporting them are safe and sufficient. That isn't going to happen and we will continue to see these issues.

Me, I love my life here. I choose carefully what I do and I rarely have any issues. I am not a trusting tourist though.

Perfect answer

EExactly spot on.

• Like 1

I think the clueless one is you. I am doing just fine. In my opinion the parties need to be shut down. Many parents believe the same. Take your advise relax!

Jungle Jim, sorry mate, you are utterly clueless, bitter, and frankly, close to stroke. Relax and learn about life, you'll enjoy it more

All of these 'full moon' parties should be banned by the central government.

Impossible, too many mafias, big ones and local ones, starting with the brown one, and the Israëli too in Had Rin, would lose too much filthy money, too many problems...

Nice to see that at least you have noticed how the Israelis have been allowed to take over much of the islands. Reminds me of their great work in Gaza . If you go to the parties you are supporting the mafia plain and simple. The local mafias do such great work helping the homeless, hungry and sick. Besides selling yaba and other wonderful drugs. As long as YOU are having fun that is all that matters.

Impossible, too many mafias, big ones and local ones, starting with the brown one, and the Israëli too in Had Rin, would lose too much filthy money, too many problems...

The amount of times I have cleared shit up on beaches in Thailand is numerous.

TBH I am surprised I haven't been arrested for working without a work permit free of charge clearing up broken bottles in the sand, rusty tin lids etc...free of charge.

What I despise is lazyness and lack of respect for nature, lets just throw our shit here on this nice beach.

• Like 2

I agree its really bad. The Thais are slobs and the FMP brats are no better. LAZY , SELFISH . Perhaps shutting down the FMP might help some of your problems unless you enjoy cleaning up after their mess for the rest of your life. But don,t worry i seriously believe mother nature will finish us all off within twenty years. We are like a cancer.

TBH I am surprised I haven't been arrested for working without a work permit free of charge clearing up broken bottles in the sand, rusty tin lids etc...free of charge.

What I despise is lazyness and lack of respect for nature, lets just throw our shit here on this nice beach.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Has nothing to do with being old or grumpy. That bunch is nothing more than morons who can care less about Thailand or its customs. Thailand would be far better off without them. Just proves to the Thais how stupid foreigners are. Vang Vieng Laos has improved greatly since the bars were torn down and that bunch tossed out. Many rapes and murders because the tourists are just too fracking dumb and clueless besides drunk. SHUT IT DOWN !

Do you get rape and murder at rave parties in your home country,maybe the occasional bit of trouble,but nothing to the extent you get here.Hope none of your family suffer a similar fate as the 2 young innocent holiday makers.If being a grumpy old man helps to save a life then I am a grumpy old man.There is a word for people like you "SYCOPHANT".

Are you out of your mind? What does the murder of 2 holiday makers have to do with FMP? Are you aware that murders happened at Ko Tao, not Ko Phangan? And the funniest part is, you are thinking that by being a grumpy old man you are saving lifes, lol.

And for your question, yes, although the rape on Ko Tao has nothing to do with FMP, people get raped at raves and festivals in Europe. For example, this summer a young girl was raped at Reading Festival, here is the link: http://news.sky.com/story/1323121/boy-arrested-after-reading-festival-rape

This has nothing to do about being in Thailand or Europe. You are just another grumpy old man trying to put more blame on Thailand than it deserves. Some people do horrible things when they are high, but majority of people have a good time at those parties.

Banning of other parties is a very unluck move, just a show off by the authorities so they seem like they are doing something. KPN is usually not very crowded, but close to the FMP thousands of crazy teenagers flock to the island and the majority leaves just afterwards. Black Moon Party, Half Moon Party, Jungle Experience etc attracts a much more mature and responsible crowd, and you rarely encounter any problems.

For the record, Vang Vieng is still tubing, at least it was 4 weeks ago. The town is rather busy with many bars and restaurants. Whilst I can't comment on how it compares with years gone by, there is rather a full on party, drinking games etc at the start. I stuck with water, at 11.00 AM. I stopped off at one bar on the way downstream but counted a few others.

And you know, my travelling companion on this trip, at 77, was quite the celebrity. The youngsters had him partying the night before and again at the start. Without doubt, I'd go again.

I am convinced that those who indulge to excess, anywhere in the world, will find themselves some problems.

Edited by delh

Grumpy old man award... This ban is just the Govts way of saying they are clueless, the KT murder was not related to a "party" ...it was a random crime possible anywhere at any time.

Do you get rape and murder at rave parties in your home country,maybe the occasional bit of trouble,but nothing to the extent you get here.Hope none of your family suffer a similar fate as the 2 young innocent holiday makers.If being a grumpy old man helps to save a life then I am a grumpy old man.There is a word for people like you "SYCOPHANT".

Father forgive me for I know not what I do.Please endow the posters with the gift of reading.Amen.

Elmer, whats the point of posting smart-ass comments? Set your ego aside for a moment and just admit you didn't know what sycophant meant when you typed it. We won't judge you brother.

Nice to see that at least you have noticed how the Israelis have been allowed to take over much of the islands. Reminds me of their great work in Gaza . If you go to the parties you are supporting the mafia plain and simple. The local mafias do such great work helping the homeless, hungry and sick. Besides selling yaba and other wonderful drugs. As long as YOU are having fun that is all that matters.

You do post and write some drivel !!!

Are you slagging off the Israelis now ? I see no connection to Gazza or Any Thai Island and have been to both, have you?

Who do you think you are supporting as a regular tourist going to these Islands? From the organised trips to buying crap copy DVDs and fake Oakley sunglasses? The little man in the shop or the mafia family that allows him to set up there in the 1st place????

Who do you think controls all the bars and clubs across most of the tourist populated areas of Thailand? The State? TAT, nope, local mafias in conjunction with corrupt police officials.

banning the FMP does NOTHING to stop the mafia support as it's just many pies they have their fingers in!!!

• Like 1

Yea i have been to both islands. and our lovely middle eastern friends are everywhere. I do agree the mafia is in all the tourist areas. Why do you think i avoid these places. Having said that the FMP needs to be shut down. At least it cuts off a few fingers. Maybe they might get the hint.

Are you slagging off the Israelis now ? I see no connection to Gazza or Any Thai Island and have been to both, have you?

Who do you think you are supporting as a regular tourist going to these Islands? From the organised trips to buying crap copy DVDs and fake Oakley sunglasses? The little man in the shop or the mafia family that allows him to set up there in the 1st place????

Who do you think controls all the bars and clubs across most of the tourist populated areas of Thailand? The State? TAT, nope, local mafias in conjunction with corrupt police officials.

banning the FMP does NOTHING to stop the mafia support as it's just many pies they have their fingers in!!!

Mr Haggis these guys are hypocrites, the second we step foot in Thailand and start spending money a % of every baht spent is going to pass through corrupt hands......... we all know that

I agree its really bad. The Thais are slobs and the FMP brats are no better. LAZY , SELFISH . Perhaps shutting down the FMP might help some of your problems unless you enjoy cleaning up after their mess for the rest of your life. But don,t worry i seriously believe mother nature will finish us all off within twenty years. We are like a cancer.

Is there a dr here?.....grumpy jim is in serious need of some medication.

Beach parties banned throughout Surat Thani province

beach-party-ban.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Five weeks after the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller on Koh Tao Thaweesak Inthaphrom, chief of the Koh Phangan district office received a letter from Govenor Chatpong Chatphuti ordering him to prohibit any beach parties on the islands throughout the province.

The only party that will not be affected by the ban is the Full Moon party on Haad Rin Beach in Koh Phanang, due to its worldwide appeal and popularity among tourists.

Mr. Chatpong said that the reason behind the ban is to put a stop to the illegal activity and vice that has been risking the nations reputation, he went on to say that events such as the half moon and black moon party were often responsible for problems affecting tourism and Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha last week said it was time to restore order on the province’s islands. Reports suggest that part of the problem is that many of these parties are held in secluded areas where the police are unable to offer party goers much protection.

The order banning beach parties has been relayed by the Koh Phangan district office to various agencies and the police have removed posters put up around the islands advertising the events, this includes the coming Black Moon, Jungle Moon and Experience Moon parties.

Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman of the National Police Office, said police chief Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang had instructed police officers across the country to ensure the safety of tourists as Thailand heads into high season and said that better records must also be kept of the number of people arriving as well as where they stay during their visit, this kind of information is very useful for the tourist police who handle security in the event of security issues. Volunteers are also being recruited to help the police maintain order in popular destinations.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-10-27

Most TVF members wouldn't go to such a party as they'd look out if place amongst all the young ones !! But don't have like to comment on the things they( youngsters ) consider fun and a right of passage!!

Laughable really also considering it doesn't interfere in their daily lives either in Nakhon nowhere waiting for their pension cheques!!

Let's just go one step further and ban all nightclubbing and any sort of social partying shall we? It's not like nobody has ever been assaulted or murdered inside or outside such a location has there ??

Fair enough, Party on!!

But don't expect any sympathy, when the next body or rape is reported!!

It is common knowledge amongst Thai men, that is easy to get sex on the islands, with young girls more or less unconscious from drugs/alcohol!! Plenty of unreported rapes.

Interesting to see posters on other threads condemning the mafiafamilies on the islands, but at the same time are willing to support the same families, all in order to get their fix!!

Yer ban all fun just in case .

Make the women wear long grey trousers and a berka on arrival. and only allow entertainment in designated Michelin star restaurants with strict passport control. fence of all beaches and enforce hotel curfew at dusk, refuse entery to Thailand for all Burmese and anyone under the age of 45 from any western nation. then we should have a trouble free place to relax.. how about that???

Edited by epicstuff
  • Like 1

Grumpy old man award... This ban is just the Govts way of saying they are clueless, the KT murder was not related to a "party" ...it was a random crime possible anywhere at any time.

one suspects you know as little about parties on koh pahngan as you do about the definition of sycophant.

• Like 1

What exactly describes a party though? A social gathering of more than 5 people where music and good and beveridge are served?

All through my kids younger years they had birthday parties, no drugs or alcohol involved but it was still a party none the less, a party does. Not have to involve neither drugs not alcohol, tourist party? Diving party?

What's in a name? A party is still a party no matter what spin you put on it?

So are they going to stop all the fire dancers and entertainment on the beaches as well, as these are also classed as parties if sorts.

I'm being very pedantic with semantics here, but when is a party not a party ?

What happened to Hannah and David was a downright brutal tragedy still unfolding, but it had NOTHING to do with any FMPs.

I'm guessing the pub crawls will also stop as these are mobile parties, awesome way to kill off more tourism as if it's not suffering enough as it is, tourist especially the young ones and for all the dinosaurs out there, just remember what it was like in your teenage years, most of you had FUN of some sorts, lads nights out on the lash etc.

Stop having a go at the futures, as in the party goers, not all revellers are bonkers a goods majority are university educated with more education than many posters whining and moaning!!! Live and let live, YOU had your days of fun, leave the youngsters to their own ways, you're not contributing anything by acting like a strict overbearing grandparent who forgot what fun was/is!!

The parties will still continue, one way or another, they have no manpower to start enforcing them, and once they start locking up tourists, well that's playing right into the failing tourism hands isn't it?

Don't knee jerk and ban them, organise them more efficiently bring in proffesionsl organisers, run better security, do it all within the confines of the law, but it's NOT going to stop drug related activities , nor violence .

• Like 1