TB/Meningitis : Anyone with experience?

ianf

I was struck down with what has been diagnosed as TB/Meningitis two weeks ago. I spent 10 days at the RAM in Chiang Mai. I am on Rimstar drug for 9 months as a result which has quite an effect on various bodily functions. Not very nice. I would appreciate it if anyone can offer me advice or their experience. There is a 5% chance that this disease comes through HiV and they checked for that and I was clear (I had no reason to worry). Other than that it seems to be a third world type thing with very few incidents of this in the UK/USA.

I have cared for many patients with this though all were children or teenagers.

It'svery serious, very nasty and close adherence to the medication is essential.

The drug you are on is a combination of 4 drugs: rifampicin, INH, ehtambutol and Pyrazinamide. This is standard treatment for TB in this part of the world, but the 4 in 1 form is quite expensive. If you are paying out of pocket for these meds and want to save money, request the 4 meds separately in local brand.

Whatever you do, do not fail to take meds as directed as otherwise resistance can develop. Also do not fail to keep appointments for regular blood tests to monitor your liver function.

• Like 1

I have cared for many patients with this though all were children or teenagers.

It'svery serious, very nasty and close adherence to the medication is essential.

The drug you are on is a combination of 4 drugs: rifampicin, INH, ehtambutol and Pyrazinamide. This is standard treatment for TB in this part of the world, but the 4 in 1 form is quite expensive. If you are paying out of pocket for these meds and want to save money, request the 4 meds separately in local brand.

Whatever you do, do not fail to take meds as directed as otherwise resistance can develop. Also do not fail to keep appointments for regular blood tests to monitor your liver function.

Thanks Sheryl.

I just wonder where this came from. I am 66 years old and superbly fit: I cycle 500-700km a week and am a cycling coach. What little cycle racing I get here is quite successful for me and I can tank it along with much younger guys.

One day OK. Next day headaches. Two days later: hospital.

The hospital said it would be OK to start exercise again. But nothing could be further from my desire. Incidentally, I've been an avid cyclist for more than 50 years. So quite fit.