Am I Cheap

winle

O.K, its like this, been with the G.F about 6 months, when we first met,(yes in a bar) we were out drinking and having fun all the time, basicly a holiday, i then felt it time to settle down and chill out a bit, now she moans about me being a cheap charlie, you tell me who is right

i pay 4000b p.m for the room plus electric and water all in about 5000

i pay for the bike 2000 p.m

i give her a 300 b 1-2-call every month to yak yak with family and frinds

i give her 100b every day for food, which i know is well enough for them to eat on

plus we go out drinking twice a month, and i'll spend at least 1500b per night

so can the members here tell me, am i cheap or is she wanting to much?

p.s the fridge is always full of water, sodas bannanas....

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You go out twice a month?  And you provide rabbit food.  Yes, cheap Charlie it is!  :o

no disrespect but it sounds a bit cheap.

why do you mention bananas in the fridge?

how old are you both?, maybe she's a bit fed up and wants to go out a bit more, twice a month, she must be a bit bored staying home.

what about her seeing friends, buying clothes and taking care of her family.

mate, I do not know what your financial situation is, but if you keep this up much longer she will meet another guy who will give her a better lifestyle, oh you only go out twice a month so I guess there is not much chance of that :o

Lighten up dude, enjoy yourself and things will go a long more smoothly.

Money isn't everything, go for the sanook.

As someone who is a self-described ki ngo himself (I really just think I'm rational), let me tell you how I think you stack up.

You're not horrible. You give your girl 100 a day. That's pretty nice right there. I don't do this myself since it'd make my gf much happier if I just spent an extra 100 day doing whatever (perhaps getting her a nice fashion shirt on the weekend).

You also spend a ton of money when you actually do go out. 1500? Man, do you get everybody rounds of Heineken at a nice club? When I go out with my gf I hardly ever spend anywhere this much. How about a nice dinner and movie, plus a couple drinks somewhere? This would be fun and cost less than half what you're spending.

Now, on the cheap side of things. You have bananas and water in the fridge? You know, this doesn't sound very appealing man.

When she first met you she might have thought you would be something of a baller. But your room sounds to be on the very low end of things, unless you found a great deal somewhere. I think you have to spend about twice that to get a somewhat respectable place for two (depending on where you're located).

But you're smart to watch your money, and I think you're better going this way than some of the stupid farangs who who completely spoil their girlfriends. I think when you give her so much it changes the nature of the relationship into something more about material things. Good for you for not being another stupid farang atm!

Whatever. Sounds like the perfect relationship you two have going.
Hey chanchao,

Nice penguin you got there..

B

pay 4000b p.m for the room plus electric and water all in about 5000

i pay for the bike 2000 p.m

i give her a 300 b 1-2-call every month to yak yak with family and frinds

i give her 100b every day for food, which i know is well enough for them to eat on

plus we go out drinking twice a month, and i'll spend at least 1500b per night

So that's 15000 a month For two people.....

She must be thinking she has a cheap thai boyfriend instead of a farang one

Did she work before? if yes, so why not anymore? if no , so why not ?

Especially if she worked as a bar girl before , her friends will still ask her every day how much you give her??

p.s the fridge is always full of water, sodas bannanas....

Any Meat in there as well , or is it only Kauw pad with onions every day ?? :o

You're not dutch by any means are you ??

As someone who is a self-described ki ngo himself (I really just think I'm rational), let me tell you how I think you stack up.

You're not horrible. You give your girl 100 a day. That's pretty nice right there. I don't do this myself since it'd make my gf much happier if I just spent an extra 100 day doing whatever (perhaps getting her a nice fashion shirt on the weekend).

Hey you two, stop splashing around you cash with such careless abandon. You gotta keep those women in their place. Give them one banana and before you now it they be sneaking off to the fridge behind you back and taking another one, then two, then three...

Zendesinger,

No it is not me!! :o:D:D

I know the sayings about the "Dutch people" and I also know that it was true,however the young generation is acting different,

Concerning the subject:

I think I have to go with the lot of you and consider it rather cheap.

Of course it depends on the personal circumstances but a Thai girl ,going with a foreigner,would expect a little bit more I quess.

Minimum income requirements from government shows something from 25-60.000 /month isn't it?

Anyhow if you both feel happy (which is clearly NOT the case) please continue.

Bananas in a fridge go black fast.

Not in this case. These guys are not wasting their money on needless luxuries like electricity. It costs money y'know. Anyway, by the sounds of it, his avaricious girlfriend eats them all before they have a chance to turn dark brown, let along black

Not in this case. These guys are not wasting their money on needless luxuries like electricity. It costs money y'know. Anyway, by the sounds of it, his avaricious girlfriend eats them all before they have a chance to turn dark brown, let along black

I wasn't thinking Phil. Sorry about that. Two nights a month on the suds too. I'd be well on that sort of a program. :o

I wasn't thinking Phil. Sorry about that. Two nights a month on the suds too. I'd be well on that sort of a program. :o

Indeed Doctor, but I guess he's learned to pace himself.

Also, if I only had to give my girlfriend 100 baht a day, bus fare, a few bananas and an occassion sip from a can of coke, I would have a bunch of them (girlfriends that is).

Come to think of it, If I got rid of the girlfriend I have now, at that price I could be shacked up with half a dozen girlies and still come out ahead at the end of the month.

I think you need to buy a better variety of Thai fruits. Mix it up a little.

I also think if you have to ask, you PROBABLY are cheap, but I can think of worse sins.

Also, cheap is a very relative thing. It is related to poverty and wealth. For example, if you have 100 million baht squirelled away, you are not only cheap, but baa baa.

However, if you are basically poor, your spending might better be described as living within your means, which is in my book a virtue.

I think you need to buy a better variety of Thai fruits. Mix it up a little.

I also think if you have to ask, you PROBABLY are cheap, but I can think of worse sins.

Also, cheap is a very relative thing. It is related to poverty and wealth. For example, if you have 100 million baht squirelled away, you are not only cheap, but baa baa.

However, if you are basically poor, your spending might better be described as living within your means, which is in my book a virtue.

Hmmm, the voice of reason.

However he is not talking about how much money he has or earns; he is talking about how much money he gives his girlfriend, so we don't know if he is virtuously living within his means, or he's just a tight-arse.

I'd opt for the second characteristic.

Indeed Doctor, but I guess he's learned to pace himself.

Also, if I only had to give my girlfriend 100 baht a day, bus fare, a few bananas and an occassion sip from a can of coke, I would have a bunch of them (girlfriends that is).

Come to think of it, If I got rid of the girlfriend I have now, at that price I could be shacked up with half a dozen girlies and still come out ahead at the end of the month.

6 youngies at 100 each per day sounds quite good. And if one were to sublet some of 'em each day there'd be some $$$ over each month, even allowing for a couple of nights out on the suds and buying extra bananas. Would all six youngies fit in the 'poverty pack' apartment ? :D

Is there some reason why she cannot find a job? A few hours apart each day may help the heart grow fonder and allow her to have her own money.

If she's not willing to work,(in a normal job) and you are still happy to keep her...som nom na.

If she was a bar-girl, with no history of 'normal' work, then she would find it very difficult to find a decent job.

Winle - where are you living, in a 4000 baht apartment? If it is a tourist centre, then it must be a rat-hole. If you are up-country, OK, it would be a reasonable place.

If you have no kids (yet), then why only go out twice a month? No need to spend a fortune, just go out for a couple of beers, and a bit of road-side fodder (Thai-food-rao). Do this twice a week and save money!

If you are not working, just sitting on your fat arse, then get up and go out shopping for the occasional blouse or skirt. Only 100 baht.

Thanks for all the comments and advice, i'll try to find some inexspensive ways to releive some of the boardom for her,

i'm not poor, i have quite a healthy bank account but i can stay longer if i spread it out,

I only go drinking twice a month cus i like to stay healthy, dont want that fat beer gut!

I know 100b is not a lot, but you should see how much she eats a day, now she knows how to be ecomomical (spelt wrong im thick)

You minght laugh at this, i live on the 4th floor and as i type i can see her half way up the mango tree out back, whaking em down with a stick,

Our apartment is out of town and quite nice, one bedroom, kitchen, b.r, full cooking we eat o.k,

Its live like this or go back to old fat germans, as they say up to her,,

iam 26 she is 30, is age a factor???

concerning the appartment rates...

I had an appartment in soi 93 sukhumvit (soi 3 ) which cost 3500 + elec/water ( 5000B/month).. had security man/tag front door , lift , air cond , sports, movie, news channel and clean... but one room, bathroom and small balcony.. was ok

also had an appartment at the end of thanon sai mai ( near lam luk ka ) which cost 1500 + elec/water ( 2000B/month ) , had to furnish it, tv fridge bed cupboard etc, got it painted before I moved in, no air cond, got telephone line connected for internet(4500B) ... one room,bathroom,small balcony..was ok,

now am renting townhouse soi 28 chang wattana-pak kret road , 5000+ elec/water ( 6000B/month) , two big rooms, bathroom, front /back courtyard downstairs, two rooms ( main bed aircond ), bathroom... is ok

my point is , if you don t live in the main expat/tourist areas you can get good accomodation at a cheap price..

( though I am happy living in a swag, as long as I have an internet conn...lol)

maybe your g/f is a bit too high maintenance for you, you have to live within your means... how much money do you give her a month to sent to the relation that is looking after her childeren? what do you do all day? does she have friends close by she can hang out with? and do you give her a couple of hundred baht a week to spend at the salon?

at the end of this lengthy speil....

every girlfriend I have ever had, back in aust and here in thailand, I have met at a bar/disco/band...how else do I find one with similar interests to myself?

:o

iam 26 she is 30, is age a factor???

Likely the only reason she is still with you. At 30 she is probably looking for a relationship but don't believe she can accept the cut in pay much longer as you seem to have seriously eroded her lifestyle (if she is, as you seem to suggest, from the bar trade). As you apparently view this as an outing to be prolonged as long as possible and then what? It would seem that the "fat German" might be a better choice if you are just out to use her as cheaply as possible and leave her with nothing. I hope you don't have too many regrets as you get older.