Hot Weather

watgate

This is the first winter season I arrived in October and the temps and humidity are actually bothering me. If it is this oppressive in October, I can only imagine what it must be like in April, May and June. My plans to start staying here for 6- 7 months looks like will be put on the backburner. I surmise most folks must stay inside in an airconditioned environment to cope with the heat and humidity. Or maybe I am just getting old and my tolerance to this weather has diminished. I have always enjoyed hot weather but I guess being near the equator adds a whole new dimension to the equation.

If you want to live here for several months of the year you have to acclimatise and get used to it. By acclimatise i don't mean living in an aircon' world as that will never get you sorted. Live with fans if you must have cooler air and with as few clothes as possible indoors and around your place. I live in shorts and nothing else and only dress properly when i go out.

''Winter'' doesn't really kick off until mid-November, when temperatures fall especially at night.

Yes, I use the a/c no more than about 5 to 10 days of the year and then mainly in the bedroom at night when the heat and humidity are far worse than now ... and I stay in Pattaya, not in chilly Chiang Mai. Although the a/c may be refreshing once in awhile, I would hate to be in such a wonderful climate and then waste it by hiding in a refrigerated cave, which is what it feels like when I close all the windows and balcony doors. One reason I chose Pattaya over Chiang Mai is that the 4 or 5 times I've visited Chiang Mai it always seemed cold and rainy.

Install a ceiling fan or two. Have one fan that can be shifted about and that should be all you need 90% of time.

• Like 1

This is the first winter season I arrived in October and the temps and humidity are actually bothering me. If it is this oppressive in October, I can only imagine what it must be like in April, May and June. My plans to start staying here for 6- 7 months looks like will be put on the backburner. I surmise most folks must stay inside in an airconditioned environment to cope with the heat and humidity. Or maybe I am just getting old and my tolerance to this weather has diminished. I have always enjoyed hot weather but I guess being near the equator adds a whole new dimension to the equation.

I have been here since feb. It was great then but soon went bad, unhealthy air for 2 months and often slightly too hot. I suggest you move to a milder climate in February because it then gets hot until November.

Would much rather be sweating here,than freezing my nuts off in the U.K.,

really i don't find it hot at all at the moment,in fact i have had to make use of the duvet

for a couple of nights,live without A/c,just fans when needed,you will need to move

when the temperature starts to reach 40 C ,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

If you want to live here for several months of the year you have to acclimatise and get used to it. By acclimatise i don't mean living in an aircon' world as that will never get you sorted. Live with fans if you must have cooler air and with as few clothes as possible indoors and around your place. I live in shorts and nothing else and only dress properly when i go out.

''Winter'' doesn't really kick off until mid-November, when temperatures fall especially at night.

Yes, I use the a/c no more than about 5 to 10 days of the year and then mainly in the bedroom at night when the heat and humidity are far worse than now ... and I stay in Pattaya, not in chilly Chiang Mai. Although the a/c may be refreshing once in awhile, I would hate to be in such a wonderful climate and then waste it by hiding in a refrigerated cave, which is what it feels like when I close all the windows and balcony doors. One reason I chose Pattaya over Chiang Mai is that the 4 or 5 times I've visited Chiang Mai it always seemed cold and rainy.

Install a ceiling fan or two. Have one fan that can be shifted about and that should be all you need 90% of time.

"...hiding in a refrigerated cave..."

Memorable phrase! Made my day... more or less.

It is not the heat that bothers me it is the humidity. as long as I am out and about doing some thing it is OK but when I am doing nothing the humidity bothers me. Lately we have been using a portable air con unit at night. Runs at about 1/3 to 1/2 half the price of a regular air con.

It is a fact that you do acclimatise to the heat and humidity.

I have lived in a rural setting for 18months without aircon just the ceiling fan on ocassionally.

I think the city buildings absorb a lot more heat and the urban sprawl of high rise and hard landscaping exaccerbates the humidity problem.

I live with trees and orchards around me......as does every other Thai person over 90% of this country. Its definately more manageable They would probably only get an air con unit for "show" like the truck.

I am seriously thinking that the inclusion of air con units in my new build is a cost that i can utilise to better effect.....like health insurance for example.

As for when to discard the air con; it was always end of october so next week save those kilowatts.

First off, I agree the weather is as hot as the thai ladies and it seems like if they know you have a g/f, they tease you and tempt you even more. Secondly, I will most definitely take 90 degrees and humid over 10-30 degrees fahrenheit any day of the week. Thirdly, I can see where acclimatization is an important element and I find myself starting to get used to the temps now. It also helps, if I stay out of the direct rays of the sun for any length of time. Fourth, after spending the day in Hot and then coming back to Chiang Mai in the early evening, you could feel the heat and humidity was higher as you approached the City of Chiang Mai so I definitely agree that living in a more rural area with more trees and shade would lessen the heat and humidity considerably. Fifth, I really don't like using a/c much and only use a fan at night if needed.Lastly, with all that said, I still am sure if I was here in April and May I would be forced to use air conditioning to survive and keep my sanity.

First off, I agree the weather is as hot as the thai ladies and it seems like if they know you have a g/f, they tease you and tempt you even more. Secondly, I will most definitely take 90 degrees and humid over 10-30 degrees fahrenheit any day of the week. Thirdly, I can see where acclimatization is an important element and I find myself starting to get used to the temps now. It also helps, if I stay out of the direct rays of the sun for any length of time. Fourth, after spending the day in Hot and then coming back to Chiang Mai in the early evening, you could feel the heat and humidity was higher as you approached the City of Chiang Mai so I definitely agree that living in a more rural area with more trees and shade would lessen the heat and humidity considerably. Fifth, I really don't like using a/c much and only use a fan at night if needed.Lastly, with all that said, I still am sure if I was here in April and May I would be forced to use air conditioning to survive and keep my sanity.

And keeping your sanity in this country is never easy; and most of the time it has nowt to do with the heat !