Automatic turned off indicators

namdocmai

I have a classic Honda bike in Europe which has automatic turned off indicators and i miss that on my Thai bike.

Does any new bike in Thailand have that feature?

It would also save the lifes of many Somchais i guess. Every 10 minutes i see a Thai driving with their indicators blinking but it seems they are not aware of it.

• Like 1

I did the same thing since I was often riding with my blinkers on.

I bought cheap 12v speakers in Chinatown and spliced them into my turn signals.

They were too loud so I jammed them full of silicone glue to deaden the sound.

• Like 2

Yes i've also been thinking about a beeper connected to the indicators but then i thought of the automatic turned off system which works perfectly on my big bike.

I bet if that was for sale here and easy to connect to a bike then many people would buy it just to save their lives. Also i would expect that system to be on the more expensive models like a PCX or SH or any bigger bike.

Nobody here takes indicators of motobikes serious, in Europe you better not forget to turn the blinkers off because that will sure cause your death within a few days. Also the Police will sure stop you if you forget about them.

Thai motobike insurances should give discount for riders who have that auto-system. Also what are we talking about, maybe 1000 baht? Also i bet if Honda or Yamaha installs it on the new models they might get very popular here in BKK.

I always make sure my indicators are turned off, i press the button all the time to make sure they are off and i rarely forget that.

I'd go for a self-cancelling retro-fit @ B1000/easy install for sure but the engineering involved seems to make that option unlikely.

I will spring for some silicone gel though.

Well the engineering part i will do myself but that auto-cancelling unit (i learned a new word) should be click and go, don't want to change the wiring because the bike is still new.

Don't understand what you mean with the silicone gel.

I know the Thai can't be bothered by having proper lights on their bikes but i bet they have never been in a car with 50% or more tainted windows.

And if the insurancecompany's will give discount to drivers of bikes that are more safe then probably they will start to like it.

Even cardrivers can't be bothered by using their indicators so Thailand still has a long way to go.

One day a garbagecollector on a tricycle crashed into my wife's car, he was not insured and had to pay the damage himself. I bet he learned his lesson. The insurance from my wife's car made him pay so he didn't have a chance to get away with it. If the Thai only learn this way then so be it.

I am most surprised at the numbers of people who have difficulty turning on the indicators before turning then switching them off after the turn has been completed - is that really so difficult ?

Not for most people but hey This is Thailand. The police doesn't fine them for it so who cares? They also drive against traffic without a helmet with a baby on their arms, sabaai sabaai krab.

Most thai motorcycle riders don't even bother with working head or rear lights so self cancelling indicators would be low low priority here IMO (unfortunately)

So true.. so many idiots driving without a functioning headlight or rear light. Its dangerous and stupid. I see cars without rear lights too.

I am most surprised at the numbers of people who have difficulty turning on the indicators before turning then switching them off after the turn has been completed - is that really so difficult ?

It is not difficult but even the mosy experienced riders forget to turn the signal off after the turn. Especiallu on a fast sport bikr which you dont have a lot of time to look at the instrument cluster.

• Like 1

I'd go for a self-cancelling retro-fit @ B1000/easy install for sure but the engineering involved seems to make that option unlikely.

I will spring for some silicone gel though.

Well the engineering part i will do myself when you have the engineering figued out please share but that auto-cancelling (self-cancelling) unit (i learned a new word) should be click and go,clink & go is feasible on a computer, but not on a bike don't want to change the wiring because the bike is still new.changing the wiring is what will be required for a change in an electrical indicator system.

Don't understand what you mean with the silicone gel.to mute the audio...see previous post #6.

I know the Thai can't be bothered by having proper lights on their bikes but i bet they have never been in a car with 50% or more tainted windows. my car is 70%

And if the insurancecompany's will give discount to drivers of bikes that are more safe then probably they will start to like it. Dream on.

Even cardrivers can't be bothered by using their indicators so Thailand still has a long way to go.

Edited by papa al

@papa al,

I have changed and built loads of electrical systems myself in the past. The self cancelling unit works with waterlevel switches but have not studied yet how to fit those on my SH. It can't be very difficult though (for me at least). I 'm pretty sure i can develop a click and go system for my or any other bike. Actually i can fix everything on a vehicle since i have been a car-engineer for many years and also built my own cars (very complicated ones).

You can buy all the car-connectors availlable in Chinatown but they are low quality. I have loads of them in my workshop.

I don't want to have a beeper because i get enough attention from Thai allready. The best would be a beeper which automatically adjusts the volume depending on the drivingspeed but that's not so easy for my scooter which has a boardcomputer. Also i 'm lazy these days that's why i bought a brand new bike here in Thailand. Normally i would buy a broken bike for peanuts and fix it myself.

I think it will work to build a resistant in the beepercable to adjust the volume, no need to use silicone or tape because that's more Somchai style but it sure will work.

• Like 1

Cool.

If I put a resistor before the audio-flasher unit to down-control the volume, wouldn't that dim the turn signals too?

If the beeper is connected paralel to a flashlight i think it will work. Then you put the resistor in the +12V wire that goes to the beeper.. You can just try it, it won't damage the system.

post #5 "I replaced the flasher unit with one that emits a beeping audio signal"

post #18:"If I put a resistor before the audio-flasher unit to down-control the volume,

wouldn't that dim the turn signals too?"

As twice stated earlier the beeper and flasher are all one unit.

So putting a resister before the unit would dim the turn signals as well right?

Edited by papa al

post #5 "I replaced the flasher unit with one that emits a beeping audio signal"

post #18:"If I put a resistor before the audio-flasher unit to down-control the volume,

wouldn't that dim the turn signals too?"

As twice stated earlier the beeper and flasher are all one unit.

So putting a resister before the unit would dim the turn signals as well right?

Hey i don't read the whole thread all the time. I read about silicone and tape around a beeper so then we go Somchai style and then everything is allowed.

If you put a resistor before the flashing unit the speed of flashing might change and also the lights will be dimmed so that's not a solution. I thought you installed a beeper yourself. I 've never seen a flashing unit that makes beeping noises.

When you start a thread and don't even bother to read the replies, well...?

I 'm not a native speaker, i thought the flasher unit is the indicator-light on the dashboard. I would call the flasher unit a flashing-relay but now i learned the official word for it, thanks for teaching me (serious no offence).

Also i admit that i don't try to remember who posts what on TV-forum. I read so many offensive replies here (not from you but in general) that i better forget them asap.

I don't have pics of the cars i built in my pc but mostly they were classic cars like the Citroen DS, Mustangs, classic Benz/BMW. I only made them technically sound so they would pass the yearly inspection. Mostly those cars needed to be welded, adapted to drive on LPG, modified with good stereo or extra batterysystems or other accesories. I also built some campervans (mobile homes as americans call them). In Europe every modification has to be approved by the government so it has to be made of good quality or won't pass the inspection and will not be allowed on the roads.