Koh Tao murders: Thai police bureau ignores NHRC summons

webfact

I'm fairly convinced that the son had something to do with it at this stage, if I was him and wanted to prove my innocence I would be submitting my DNA to anyone and everyone.

I have a feeling now that this is going to end with Prayuth giving some grovelling apology

• Like 1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The judge said the suspects could be detained for up to 84 days."

And when those 84 days pass, another 84 day extension.....they're banking

on the public's short attention span.....BUT, let's NOT forget, lest it happens again!

Keep the pressure on!!

If they were Thai, they would be out on bail already.

I wonder if the Brit police are aware of the various allegations found on social media/TV and so forth? If I could speak to one of the officers I would simply say: Please do not trust the Bib: they are very good at smiling at you whilst stabbing you in the back at the same time.

• Like 1

When this incident first hit the media, it instinctively felt that there was going to be something different about this one - a watershed - if you like.

I don't think the RTP and the other Thai authorities have ever had to deal with a crime like this in such full glare of international scrutiny - there have been examples before, most recent the death of the Italian reporter, the argument with Saudi-Arabia etc, but this one won't eve go away at home.

i fail to see how the police think they will improve the situation by not turning up to this meeting - it would suggest that there is still a culture of "we know best" and dragging of heels in respect to the calls for due process to be demonstrated.

finally i have a confession of my own - i get a "a frisson of Schadenfreude" every time I read about the mishandling of this case............

• Like 1

A ccountability..lets see how this goes. Thai police have no credibility, hence, anyone can make these claims & Thai police will always be suspect to abuse. Takes many years to change an image. Takes honesty & effort for change. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!@

"An informed source, meanwhile, said British police had already started gathering information on the case. The British team stepped in after word spread that the 'real' culprit in the case might evade the long arm of the law."

Gathering information? Sounds like an investigation to me.

Is this questionable reporting as it's been made abundantly clear that the team were only to observe and nothing else would be permitted ?

They have to gather information to observe what is going on. They should be able to see all of the case details and evidence available, what they can't do is go around and start questioning people, i.e, investigating.

I think that access to the information will probably be enough though, they will soon work out whats crap and what isn't.

And if someone approaches them, in a restaraunt, or bar, or men's room, are they going to just say,

"I'm unable to speak to you?"

This is madness if anyone really thinks they aren't conducting an investigation.

it reminds me of the US involvement in the Vietnam war, the "soldiers" that were being sent, were only "advisors"

was the Thai PM supposed to flat out tell his people, he was "told" that a team was being readied to join the team, that was already there,, because initial reports

made him gag?

"it will never happen" is a hackneyed phrase that seems to be rolled out she the poster has no real opinion but wants to seem to be well-informed.

in reality Thailand has changed dramatically over the past decade - there are of course always those who think the past was a better place and try to maintain a hold on the ever-slippery status quo.

but the fat that this incident has erupted into both Thai and intentional media is itself "a change".

a grovelling apology? - I'd say that is extremely unlikely but certainly the Thai authorities will be looking for a way out that both appeases critics and saves the police etc from losing face - an exercise in Kraeng Jai is, i'd wager, already being put into action.

on the other if the police just blunder ahead, ignore their critics and repeatedly try to put an incomplete case to the prosecutors, it will end in massive loss of face not just for the RTP but also for the Kingdom.

• Like 2

The arrogance and ignorance of simply failing to even send a representative only indites them even further as a group that can not be trusted. They are now in crisis mode and have little room to maneuver in order to protect their sad and sorry ass.

"it will never happen" is a hackneyed phrase that seems to be rolled out she the poster has no real opinion but wants to seem to be well-informed.

in reality Thailand has changed dramatically over the past decade - there are of course always those who think the past was a better place and try to maintain a hold on the ever-slippery status quo.

but the fat that this incident has erupted into both Thai and intentional media is itself "a change".

a grovelling apology? - I'd say that is extremely unlikely but certainly the Thai authorities will be looking for a way out that both appeases critics and saves the police etc from losing face - an exercise in Kraeng Jai is, i'd wager, already being put into action.

on the other if the police just blunder ahead, ignore their critics and repeatedly try to put an incomplete case to the prosecutors, it will end in massive loss of face not just for the RTP but also for the Kingdom.

To use your own words: " the poster has no real opinion, but wants to seem to be well-informed"

As for "krengjai" learn the true meaning of the word, before using it!!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION

X-ray results on Myanmar suspects show no traces of assaults

BANGKOK: -- Latest X-ray results on the two Koh Tao suspects found no unusual indications, said Dr Nirund Pitakwatchara, National Human Rights Committee (NHRC) member said Monday.

However, the results were not unexpected, he said, as the suspects were arrested on October 1 and the x-ray took place on October 13 and 20, many days later. "Therefore, it is difficult to find anything unusual," he said.

Police yesterday did not show up to meet NHRC members who invited them to discuss about the police investigation into the Kho Tao murders that resulted in arrests of two Myanmar nationals.

Nirand quoted police as saying that they could not meet the commissioners because they have to ask permission from public prosecutors first.

Nirand said police are misunderstanding as his agency did not want to discuss about the details of the case but it has to look into the suspects’ claims that they were violated of human rights and police assaulted them.

The NHRC will invite police again to meet it again on November 3, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/X-ray-results-on-Myanmar-suspects-show-no-traces-o-30246350.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-10-28

Strange that tis report from 3 hours ago stands uncommented.

Ok let me start.

The NHRC has been bought out now, the X-ray report is false and was contaminated .

This RTP (NPO) investigation we are told has been completed and is now the domain of the Public Prosecutor. If this be so, why then this piece of reporting quoted in part...

"...However, the NPO told the NHRC that investigation into the case was already in the hands of the public prosecutors and that it needed to seek prior approval from the prosecutors before providing any details on the case to the NHRC".
"Meanwhile, the Koh Samui Court yesterday approved a police request that the suspects' detention be extended by another 12 days, as more time was needed to complete the investigation".

Now which is to be BIB, either you have completed the investigation or you have not? Or is this a case of 'grasping at straws' so as to stitch these two guys up?

The prosecutors have sent the case back 3 times. Maybe that DNA evidence is not so airtight after all.

We need a new petition, this time to prayut. We will write--

Let the innocent boys out.

I think you're right on the spot here, greenchair.

Everywhere in the world nowadays, a DNA match is considered one of the most reliable pieces of evidence that can be produced in a court, if not the most reliable.

And the concept of 'matching' is disarmingly simple : A = B.

DNA found inside the victim's body = DNA sampled from the suspects.

No approximation, no hesitation, no beating around the bush. It's YES or NO.

When the police here claim that they have a DNA match, it must be stated and proved crystal clear in the file sent to the prosecutors. But if that file keeps coming back to them, it means that there is no DNA match.

Q.E.D.

Clearly if the interrogation of the alleged suspects had gone on without violence, then the cops would be falling over themselves to go to the NHRC and willingly testify. That they choose to ignore it speaks volumes.

Are we about to see some new scapegoats, ones in uniforms?

• Like 1

Well that just about sums up :

1/ What the police in this country think about human rights,

2/ What the police in this country think they can get away with when confronted with an embarassing situation,

3/ What the police involved in this investigation end up admitting implicitly by this pathetic 'show of absence'.

So, to all expats and tourists in Thailand, the clear message is : If you can avoid it, do NOT get involved with the police here, unless you're prepared to surrender your rights, your logical mind and probably a good deal of money as well.

Sometimes you can't avoid it. I was stopped last week and they were trying to go down the line of I had traces of drugs in my bag which was protein out of my shaker on the way to the gym! It was going to kick off until I bluffed them and said get a test and I will call my lawyer to come and meet us.

In this case, I hope to God it all really comes out for the sake of the victims. There is not a chance in hell these Burmese lads did it.

• Like 1

Man this is so obviously an admission of guilt and the x-rays were always going to come back with nothing. They are not exactly stupid enough to leave broken bones or cigarette burns are they, there are may methods of torture that leave no traces but are brutal, and one is mental torture, another is suffocation and I will bet my house the police know every technique in the book.

They are however, very stupid to hide behind this lame excuse of the investigation being in the hands of the prosecutors which now must make them completely shielded from torture accusations. They are completely different things. But i a way I am glad they took the stupidity route on this issue, because they just succeeded in making themselves look not only imbeciles, but as guilty as sin also.

I hope the USA are watching.

Apparently, one method of torture used by RTP in the past has been to put a thick book, such as a telephone directory, on the desired confessor's chest while they lie on the floor. The desired confessor's chest is then hit using something like a baseball bat. No marks, but apparently painful and thus effective.

Another alleged method is to put a plastic bag over the desired confessor's head to make them think they are about to be suffocated.

I think almost everybody would confess to having committed almost anything under those circumstances.

• Like 1

NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION

X-ray results on Myanmar suspects show no traces of assaults

BANGKOK: -- Latest X-ray results on the two Koh Tao suspects found no unusual indications, said Dr Nirund Pitakwatchara, National Human Rights Committee (NHRC) member said Monday.

However, the results were not unexpected, he said, as the suspects were arrested on October 1 and the x-ray took place on October 13 and 20, many days later. "Therefore, it is difficult to find anything unusual," he said.

Police yesterday did not show up to meet NHRC members who invited them to discuss about the police investigation into the Kho Tao murders that resulted in arrests of two Myanmar nationals.

Nirand quoted police as saying that they could not meet the commissioners because they have to ask permission from public prosecutors first.

Nirand said police are misunderstanding as his agency did not want to discuss about the details of the case but it has to look into the suspects’ claims that they were violated of human rights and police assaulted them.

The NHRC will invite police again to meet it again on November 3, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/X-ray-results-on-Myanmar-suspects-show-no-traces-o-30246350.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-10-28

There seem to have been rather a lot of misunderstandings in this case.

Thailand may very well have changed dramatically over the past decade, but the person the phrase applied to certainly hasn't.