Not all trans-cultural lessons go down well in Thailand

webfact

STREETWISE

Achara Deboonme

BANGKOK: -- Step into any five-star hotel's function room and you'll likely see Thais in dark business suits mingling with foreigners. Suit-and-a tie has become the norm for young Thai males, while traditional Thai-style shirts have disappeared from the wardrobe of all but a few top politicians and high-ranking civil servants.

This new uniform's rise to dominance is surprising given that it arrived in Thailand only a few decades ago on the backs of Thai elites educated in the West. And the norm has fastened tight, not even shifted by the "jacket-free" campaign that came after a spike in energy prices and concerns of global warming.

Contrast business-wear with another import which arrived from the West just over four decades ago - pedestrian crossings. Here, the "fit" isn't so good. Few motorists bother to stop to allow pedestrians to use the crossings and few pedestrians bother to use them to get to the other side of the road.

Some 30 years ago all students at my school were ordered to use the pedestrian crossings inside the school. Whether other schools did the same I don't know, but many people my age still jaywalk - sometimes with their children.

When it comes to suits, I'm inclined to believe that Thais adopted the uniform mainly because they wanted acceptance in the eyes of Westerners. In a society where seniority rules, the fashion spread quickly. Yet establishing pedestrian crossings as a norm requires more than that. The hot climate may be one reason why people are reluctant to walk until they find a designated crossing, preferring just to dash across the road. Meanwhile motorists tend to be preoccupied with their accelerator pedal, stereos and mobile phones. Traffic police are often lenient in applying the law here, taking the view that both drivers and pedestrians should be responsible for their own safety.

So it heartened me to learn that since September 1, traffic cops have been cracking down. Jaywalkers now face a Bt200 fine. Drivers who refuse to stop at crossings can be fined Bt1,000. If a driver injures a pedestrian at a crossing, he or she can be jailed for up to three years. Kill someone and you face up to 10 years in prison.

Yet just last weekend I witnessed a near-miss on a crossing near the Rama IX intersection. A man leading a few pedestrians onto the road was just two paces from the pavement when a car sped out of nowhere. The screech of brakes should have been followed by a sickening thud of metal on flesh, but the car skidded to a stop centimetres from the shocked man.

Thais visiting cities in the West are used to waiting at pedestrian crossings until it's safe to walk. Oftentimes, cars stop for them to cross first.

It astonishes me that this Western norm has so far failed to catch on in the way that business suits have. Perhaps we need more exposure events showcasing foreign culture.

Two such events came to a close at the weekend - the Bangkok International Festival of Dance & Music and the World Film Festival of Bangkok. Sadly, the audience for the former is limited to expats and Thais already accustomed to Western culture, so its lessons are not spilling out to the majority. Meanwhile the latter draws an arty indie-film crowd for whom story-lines and aesthetics are more interesting than the social and cultural details of where the film is set.

This year, the film festival screened "Metropolis", a German classic with a universal message of justice for all social classes. Made in 1927, it recognises the need for the wealthy and powerful to acknowledge the rights of the working class. Well, I could spot neither politicians nor factory workers among the audience that night.

Thais also love to interpret things according to their own desires. I am certain that if a girlie-bar owner had been among the audience of "Black Diamond", a contemporary ballet work from Denmark, he point to it as proof that nudity is now acceptable in Thai society. It's true that the scene in question was a first for the Thailand Cultural Centre. Yet, the bar owner would no doubt happily ignore the fact that the nudity on stage that night was an artistic metaphor for the purity of the universe.

Years ago, Thailand adopted the Western practice of rating films. It was then extended to cover TV, to give parents clues about which programmes might not be suitable for their children to watch.

Is this parental style of teaching trans-cultural lessons necessary if we want to make them stick here?

I happened to be sitting in front of a father and his young daughter at the performance of "Black Diamond". She had plenty of questions about the show. Like, "Dad, why is that man wearing only panties?" At first I was a bit annoyed by the disturbance. But later I realised that, thanks to the father, we might one day have a talented Thai ballet choreographer or art director.

It would be great to see traffic cops playing a similar parental role when it comes to teaching us the safe use of pedestrian crossings. But like any good parent, they must be consistent in applying the rules. Lenience from parents leads to wayward children.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Not-all-trans-cultural-lessons-go-down-well-in-Tha-30246355.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-28

I find drivers generally do stop for me at pedestrian crossings. They won't do it the way they do at home, if you wait patiently at the side of the road, but if you pick your moment then step purposefully onto the crossing, they will obligingly stop and allow you to cross.

What next? Moaning that nothing happens to mimic westernisation about filling up.pavements with noodle stands.

The problem is not whether Thais want to mimic how westerners cross the road. The issue is that Thais don't give a damn how they cross the road.

It has always amazed me that in Chiang Mai city, there are only two light-controlled pedestrian crossings that I know of. ALL other zebra crossings are 'hit and miss' affairs. One survey proved that most Thai drivers do not know it is necessary to stop at a crossing, and that pedestrians have equal rights to the road, but not protected by a tonne of metal.

Outside the city's two biggest shopping malls, you have to cross four or six lanes of traffic to cross over. Outside Maya, there have been large holes dug in the paths opposite the crossings for weeks.

Rambling tripe Thai style filler that has no news or social value. Merely a subjective opinion by an amateur. Thais have no regard for law and order or respect and value for human life which is why drivers don't feel the need to yield for pedestrians. Elite wealthy business class Thais know that in a pinch if something happens they can beat the rap by a buy out of police and victim's family. Corruption and "superior" rank is the problem with Thais , not painted pedestrian crossings.

• Like 1

Understatement of the year. Thais have been trained very well to believe they should purposefully ignore all things not Thai. Some of the very essence of Thai culture is defined only by its opposition to Western or other "outside" culture and norms. Counter culture essentially.

Replace the word Thai with American and see what happens. Humans.

If the meaning was that Americans are xenophobic, yes, 40 years ago Americans were among the most xenophobic people on the earth. Why, because at that time "Americans" were by definition white from European stock, period. But a lot has changed in 40 years and Americans have generally changed with the times. On another front. Thais could benefit greatly by emulating a couple of uniquely cultural American traits: The drive to innovate, to make things better whether the proverbial mouse trap or global communications structure (Internet). The second is the willingness to take risks and the right to fail and then try again. Both of these behavioral complexes will be important if Thais want to assume a leadership role in the coming decades.

My wife's desire to open a soup/noddle shop is a case case study. All she knows is this is what she wants to do. The entire premise is based on selling for the lowest price (30 Bhat), but to also make very delicious. The probable conflict with between these two goals is missed and/or ignored. The suggestion that she develop detailed recipes and document the input costs is dismissed as "too serious." When I first came to Thailand I spent some time exploring exporting handicrafts to the U.S., but having them made to commercial standard. After 5 months, it became obvious that it was simply not possible. I come to learn that most of the export of handicrafts to Europe and carried out by farang owned and managed factories.

The Thais would be well served to study the Japanese and other Asian models of cross cultural learning in the commercial sphere and rejecting the worst that the west has to offer, starting with fast food.

• Like 1

Why, because at that time "Americans" were by definition white from European stock, period.

There were no black people in America in 1974?

As you can see 'Americans'. The thought maybe back then, even to this day, is that real 'Americans' are of Caucasian descent.

This has changed a lot over the years and that racist mindset is slowly but surely changing.

The problem is as follows Thai's have a them and Us view of the world. Thailand is a beautiful country and for the most part it's people are good want the same as everyone else. To have roof over head food in the stomach safe place to walk and enjoy life. But a lot of Thai's throw up walls when approached about simple things Like this term Farang. Yes I from another country but If you go to my country you won't see or read much less hear someone call a foreigner a farang. You might hear your not from here are you lost need help or directions? Yes a lot of the time we may not smile but not because were not happy. Yes we do raise our voices unlike here but must admit I like that about being here. But I see we can learn from each other if only we open up to each other. Adopting ideas from other places is good dosen't change you being who you are.Actually case in point Street food this would work well in other countries as well.Would help people out of work to have work. But selling copied or fake products hurts us all. You I would love to be allowed to operate a Hot dog cart bring a bit of my culture to Thailand. Maybe teach some Thai's How to run one so they too could make good money and better there life. Just think of the work that would create in building the carts manufacturing the buns and hot dogs to sell and don't forget the carts. Not mention the LPG to cook and keep them hot. Like at my local 7- 11 The staff there have hot dogs but at first only cut them up in to pieces and stuck in plastic bag. Well one day I brought an bun with me asked for hot dog stuck it in bun added mustard and ate all the children looked at me in awe Like they never seen hot dog eaten that way. Well few weeks later They were selling like crazy they even added condiments for them.