To lock or not to lock

Anthony5

I have a freestanding house, outside a Moobaan, surrounded by a high perimeter wall and well protected by a security system.

When I go out, even for extended time, I never lock my doors.

My thinking behind this is that if a burglar climbs over the wall he will trigger the alarm system. At that point he has 2 choices, leave or proceed with the burglary.

If he decides to proceed he will try to enter the house where the valuables are stored, regardless if the doors are locked or not, because he has made up his mind already.

If I close everything tight he will have to break a window or whatever to enter the house, which will cause me damage, but breaking a window is the easiest way to gain access and once inside he can open every window or door he wants of course. When everything is locked he may decide to give up and leave, but I don't believe someone who is determined to burglar a property will give up that easy.

So what are your thoughts about this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your comments so far, however I think we overlook some facts.

This is not a property in an average Thai village, where you may stumble in by mistake, because the perimeter wall is 50 cm high or no wall at all.

The property is surrounded by a 2 meter high perimeter wall and locked gate, you need to do some real effort to get on the land.

So it is either a planned attempt, or it may be an opportunist. The latter will run as soon as he triggers the alarm that protects the perimeter wall, in my opinion.

The former will proceed, and is actually at that point protected from view by the wall and gate.

So to enter the house he will have to break in, thereby causing damage. I don't believe that he will be discouraged by a closed door, especially since there are glass doors all over the property.

I didn't know you could get a theft insurance for personal belongings in Thailand.

• Like 1

Most are opportunist, see a door or window open etc and just try there luck, no real thought or planning.

If planning did go into it then the attempt would be more prolonged and hopefully your alarm system etc will deter him/them.

I would recommend always locking when leaving your property unattended for any period of time.

You can't see any doors or windows open, actually you have to climb on the 2 meter high wall for any doors or windows to be visible.

Also take notice that I said, unlocked, not unclosed. It is impossible to see if a door is locked or unlocked when closed.

Edited by Anthony5

I have a freestanding house, outside a Moobaan, surrounded by a high perimeter wall and well protected by a security system.

So what are your thoughts about this?

I would knock down the wall and remove the security system AND leave your doors wide open - no thief will approach a property that looks to be 'an open invitation'.

• Like 2

I always lock all doors when I go out.

I have security bars on windows and doors and I have padlocks on the door security bars.

My garden wall is also 2mts high, but that didn't deter my MIL, an 82 year old woman to climb over the wall as she forgot her key to the gate.

Haven't got a security system, so the kids of the village can jump very easily in the garden and help themselves to some fruits from the garden.

I did notice that they tried to get in the house but they left as they couldn't get through the bars.

So my advice would be..........always lock.

This is not a property in an average Thai village, where you may stumble in by mistake, because the perimeter wall is 50 cm high or no wall at all.

The property is surrounded by a 2 meter high perimeter wall and locked gate, you need to do some real effort to get on the land.

So it is either a planned attempt, or it may be an opportunist. The latter will run as soon as he triggers the alarm that protects the perimeter wall, in my opinion.

The former will proceed, and is actually at that point protected from view by the wall and gate.

So to enter the house he will have to break in, thereby causing damage. I don't believe that he will be discouraged by a closed door, especially since there are glass doors all over the property.

I didn't know you could get a theft insurance for personal belongings in Thailand.

Theft insurance for personal belongings is available. I have it and it is not ridiculously expensive either. However as an earlier poster suggested your insurance company may not be too happy if you do not lock. Some policies will probably say there needs to be signs of forcible entry to pay out.

• Like 1

Theft insurance for personal belongings is available. I have it and it is not ridiculously expensive either. However as an earlier poster suggested your insurance company may not be too happy if you do not lock. Some policies will probably say there needs to be signs of forcible entry to pay out.

Thanks for the info on the theft insurance, I wasn't aware of that and so also don't have that kind insurance. Still remains the question if it is a good idea ( in my situation) to keep the doors unlocked to prevent unnecessary damage in case of a burglary.

Thanks for the info on the theft insurance, I wasn't aware of that and so also don't have that kind insurance. Still remains the question if it is a good idea ( in my situation) to keep the doors unlocked to prevent unnecessary damage in case of a burglary.

So if you are that concerned you could add the insurance and it should then also pay for any damage caused?

• Like 1

So if you are that concerned you could add the insurance and it should then also pay for any damage caused?

To be honest, I'm very wary of insurance companies since my experience is that they aren't charities, and will also find a reason not to pay out.

• Like 1

Lock. That way a less determined thief this will may just move on to the next sap house that is not locked up.

Yes, if it's some kids or someone high on whatever, he/they might get over the fence and then be defeated by locked doors and windows. Even if it's a more "professional" thief, the longer it takes him to gain access to your house, the less time he'll have to do any further damage before someone reacts to the security alarms ... and that would also apply if you were sound asleep inside the house, delaying the breaking & entering has to work in your favor.

Aside from that, insurance or getting a police report may be less easy if there's no evidence of an actual break in. It might appear you left the door unlocked so that an accomplice could get in and you could scam the insurance company for repayment of your supposed losses.

• Like 1

Think like a thief in Thailand. 1. Transportation? A. Walking B. Motorscooter. C. Tank. D. Bulldozer. 2. Equipment carried while walking. A. Small knife. B. Bold cutter. C. Hack saw. D. Crow bar. E. Hydraulic Jack.

My answer? See photo below.

post-187908-0-07106100-1414485018_thumb.

• Like 2

We are in a similar position to our OP, high wall, no security system (OK we have geese) but we have water on 4 sides (yes, nearly an island) so the only access is via the gates which are locked 24/7 (electric opener).

We only lock the house at night and when we go shopping.

Touch wood, never an issue with trespassers other than the local moggies after the chooks. Woe betide them if they wake the geese.

If a thief gets over your 6ft wall, he will have all the time in the world to break/enter into your house as no-one will see him. If he sets your alarm off will anybody really take any notice or even bother? Get a Thai Ridgeback.

• Like 1