D-Day: Silom street vendors to be reorganized by November 1st

webfact

D-Day: Silom street vendors to be reorganized by November 1st

BANGKOK, 28 October 2014 (NNT) - In light of numerous complaints from pedestrians about street vendors blocking foot traffic in the downtown area of Silom, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has finally decided to step in to regulate the vendors.

The BMA earlier met with the street vendors regarding this issue on August 25th, during which the BMA gave a lenient request to allow the vendors to set up their stalls in the area until October 31st. Beginning on November 1st onwards, however, the Silom vendors will only be allowed to do their businesses during nighttime; from 7:00pm to 2:00am.

According to the Chairman of Advisers to the Governor of Bangkok, Mr. Vallop Suwandee, although Silom is a business hub where all sorts of business activities are encouraged, the vendors’ actions have not really contributed to the public good. Therefore, the vendors will after the month of October be permitted to only sell their stuff at night.

Municipality officials as well as metropolitan police will be working together in a bid to prevent any selling activities during daytime in Silom. Street vendors have been advised to strictly abide by the rules, or else they will face legal action.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-28 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

If the Silom vendors to move to Patpong 1 during the daytime, they'll have to move out late afternoon or early evening to make room for the regular Patpong vendors to set up. They'll then have to park somewhere before opening (or setting up?) stalls on Silom at 7pm. The logistics will be fun to watch, but those guys and gals and masters.

It was going to happen October 1st, then nothing happened. So lets see.Will it continue to be a case of 30 minutes to walk 400 meters or take your chance on the road. Report says "face legal action" uhhh? eviction and trespass notices on their make-up stalls? Just do your jobs and shift them.

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 2

If you guys want clean and boring foothpaths, why not move to Singapore?

I think losing the street markets is a loss for Bangkok. Part of the charm of the place.

Clean and (boring?) footpaths lead to businesses on them.

Businesses that have bought or paid rent for their establishments.

Pay their taxes.

And abide by rules for quality.

Particularly, food.

None of which exists with the lazy, inconsiderate vendors selling suspect food and counterfeit items on these streets.

Plenty of open air markets they can join. (I frequent them often)

But why pay rent at a market when they can illegally obstruct footpaths for nothing? wai2.gif wai.gif

Selfish.

• Like 1

But why pay rent at a market when they can illegally obstruct footpaths for nothing? wai2.gif wai.gif

Selfish.

I can assure you they are paying someone for that spot on the street. All I have gotten from my Thai friends is they pay the "street police". I assume that translates to BMA.

• Like 1

Selfish.

I can assure you they are paying someone for that spot on the street. All I have gotten from my Thai friends is they pay the "street police". I assume that translates to BMA.

The payments are split between the organising thug-types, the BMA and the police. Silom, including the pavement on the Patpong/Thaniya side is under the Tungmahamek police; after that (including Thaniya etc) it's Bangrak police.

In theory at least, local police can only make arrests within their district. So if your standing with one foot on the Silom pavement at the other past the pavement line on Thaniya, neither the Tungmahamek nor the Bangrak police can arrest you, without unusual paperwork sealing inter-district police cooperation. Of course, a copper with nationwide jurisdiction, eg CSD, can make the arrest.

Selfish.

I'm aware of that.

Yes, they pay corrupt officials/extortionists to be allowed to stay in heavy (primarilly falang) foot traffic areas. wai2.gifwai.gif

Thus, making a lot more money than if in a Market where people who follow rules sell their wares.

That's why I avoid the street rabble and go to the open air markets.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Selfish.

I have lived in Silom for 10 years....the only time I see Police on the sidewalks is when they are their with their "book" to collect money from vendors. Glad to see this finally happening although Patpong 1 should be an exception as long as they don't have carts in the street. Currently night vendors along Silom Rd. set up before rush hour and have their carts blocking one lane of traffic. This needs to be enforced though so Silom will need to see some Police patrolling sidewalks for a change.

Selfish.

I have lived in Silom for 10 years....the only time I see Police on the sidewalks is when they are their with their "book" to collect money from vendors. Glad to see this finally happening although Patpong 1 should be an exception as long as they don't have carts in the street. Currently night vendors along Silom Rd. set up before rush hour and have their carts blocking one lane of traffic. This needs to be enforced though so Silom will need to see some Police patrolling sidewalks for a change.

Patpong 1 and 2 are private roads, not under the jurisdiction of BMA; they can do what they like ... up to a point (such as making fire engine access possible when need be). Others in the vicinity, such as Thaniya, are public and under BMA, which has to pay for maintenance, drainage repair, etc.

Street vendors I don't mind much, but at least enforce some regulation so there will be a minimal distance in which pedestrians can walk. Currently, there are some places between soi 2 and Bangkok Christian Hospital where the footpath is only wide enough for one person at a time, and, God forbid, someone stops in that area to check out the merchandise on sale.

Yes, they pay corrupt officials/extortionists to be allowed to stay in heavy (primarilly falang) foot traffic areas. wai2.gifwai.gif

Thus, making a lot more money than if in a Market where people who follow rules sell their wares.

Actually, take out (primarilly falang), as this goes on all over the city and has nothing to do with what/who that foot traffic is. The only difference is what products are offered. For example, the Silom area being discussed here is not clogged with food vendors, while in other parts of the city, and Silom, that's all you will see. Just take a stroll down Ari for a taste of what I'm talking about. And its one of thousands of places in BKK and other cities.

I don't think there is any more or less traffic in the markets. From what I have been told, market stalls cost more. And there's probably little or no politics going on between the vendors in markets...compared to what goes on with the street vendors.

I would speculate that the higher cost of stalls in markets is due, at least in part, to costs of corruption being passed down from the market owner. Nothing gets done in Thailand without someone's palm getting greased.

And if you think about it, everyone is following the rules. They aren't the rules that are on the books. They are the rules that are being enforced buy those that have power. The only reason vendors are on the streets is because someone is profiting from it and therefore encouraging it. Point being...don't blame the vendors!

Actually, take out (primarilly falang), as this goes on all over the city and has nothing to do with what/who that foot traffic is. The only difference is what products are offered. For example, the Silom area being discussed here is not clogged with food vendors, while in other parts of the city, and Silom, that's all you will see. Just take a stroll down Ari for a taste of what I'm talking about. And its one of thousands of places in BKK and other cities.

I don't think there is any more or less traffic in the markets. From what I have been told, market stalls cost more. And there's probably little or no politics going on between the vendors in markets...compared to what goes on with the street vendors.

I would speculate that the higher cost of stalls in markets is due, at least in part, to costs of corruption being passed down from the market owner. Nothing gets done in Thailand without someone's palm getting greased.

And if you think about it, everyone is following the rules. They aren't the rules that are on the books. They are the rules that are being enforced buy those that have power. The only reason vendors are on the streets is because someone is profiting from it and therefore encouraging it. Point being...don't blame the vendors!

“…has nothing to do with what/who that foot traffic is.”

Ridiculous assertion.

“And there's probably little or no politics going on between the vendors in markets...compared to what goes on with the street vendors.”

Agreed.

“…don't blame the vendors!”

Nobody is forcing them to arrogant and rude.

The world is nothing but choices…wai2.gif wai.gif

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The annoying and frustrating gauntlet of vendors squeezing pedestrians into single file on the Patpong side and similar on the other side of Silom is what discourages me from ever going to that area for the nice restaurants and bars. I only visit there maybe 2-3 times a year now whereas I would go there more often if it weren't for the sidewalk hogs. I don't go into Patpong 1 at all even though the Madrid and Safari are there. I assume they're still there because I haven't been there in 2-3 years now. In reality, the citywide obstacle course for pedestrians contributes to my list of reasons for having left BKK.

If you guys want clean and boring foothpaths, why not move to Singapore?

I think losing the street markets is a loss for Bangkok. Part of the charm of the place.

Nobody is saying they should be eradicated just that a bit of common sense be applied to where they are located.

Having to walk on a busy road in order to get where you want to go is just so uncivilsed, and just plain dumb.