Koh Tao murders: Prosecutors look into plea for justice from two Myanmar workers

webfact

Prosecutors look into plea for justice
Chanikarn Phumhiran
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- PUBLIC PROSECUTORS yesterday began looking into the plea for justice from two Myanmar workers, who say they were forced into confessing to crimes they did not commit. The two migrants have been charged with murdering two British tourists on Koh Tao last month.

Chief investigator Tawatchai Siangjaew said yesterday that while public prosecutors had taken action on the plea, they would not look into anything not related to the murder case.

He also said the National Human Rights Commission's (NHRC) move to summon police to explain allegations that these suspects were tortured would not affect the case. To date, public prosecutors have instructed investigators to gather more evidence for a third time, he added.

"At this point, we can't say when

we will arraign the suspects," Tawatchai said.

Meanwhile, the suspects' parents met NHRC commissioner Niran Pitakwatchara yesterday to ask for help. Myanmar Ambassador Tun Aye accompanied the parents, who insisted their sons were threatened into confession.

Speaking via an interpreter, the father of one suspect said his son had never lied to him. "He said that he had confessed after facing threats of amputation and death," the father said.

Niran said he had explained to the parents that the NHRC could not interfere with the investigation. "What we will do is look into complaints about the suspects' human rights being violated," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prosecutors-look-into-plea-for-justice-30246468.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-29

One is led to wonder whether there might be a spectacular ''jail break'' in the near future with either the escapees being killed in the attempt or a successful getaways?

Remember the case of the convicted Indian criminal who slid down a rope and escaped from a Bangkok hospital where he was receiving treatment while it was claimed being guarded by the prison departments staff and the police farce force some years back?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1038660.stm

I think were all missing the point about the fact that DNA was or was not found to match. The presence of DNA does not necessarily prove murder. It only raises the possibility of such an act being committed by the owner of the DNA.

Posters need to understand that if public prosecutors lose a criminal case in Thailand, it damages their career prospects through loss of seniority.

"Loss of seniority" means promotions are delayed and the prosecutor's career earnings potential is severely dented. Prosecutors in Thailand couldn't care less about the reliability of the evidence but if they see that a judge may not be prepared to convict they will not proceed with the case. Here the reason is the public spotlight that the trial would be under.

The situation is very different from the West.

This is normally true of the local bib too. This case has so much international pressure however that the public prosecutor cannot be seen to be the last signature on this report if it fails.

The coppers would not have handed this report over if they had not received the nod to proceed behind closed doors.

To have had the report thrown back would have been an unbelievable shock to them. To have the public prosecutor and the judges find that it needed tightening up will have the police going crazy. I don't know why they just don't give it to the Samui public prosecutor to write it!

The public prosecutor would already be conferring with selected judges in Samui and taking their advice as to where this report needs to be "tidied" in case it is scrutinised. The public prosecutors career heavily relies in this now. Doubt he has every been so scrutinised in the past.

In another case (?Chiang Mai?) police tried to obtain sperm from a 'suspect' after three days of abuse. Not surprisingly none was forthcoming .

DNA is just another way of obtaining a conviction for these guys. The bodies were not immediately subjected to a forensic pathologist for autopsy....

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well, well, well. After three demands from the public prosecutors for more compelling evidence, and apparently despite the rock-solid DNA information - the prosecutors still have no idea when they will indict the 'suspects'. Yes, this case has been manifestly perfect in its handling from the outset and is wonderfully 'complete' in all its mass of incontrovertible evidence - beyond a shred of doubt! What can one say?

Not guilty!!!!!

• Like 1

I've just read a brief statement in the other Thai English language newspaper that the KT Headman has now agreed to have his son DNA tested. The reason stated was that he wished to quell the social media speculation about his son's guilt/innocence.

A bit late in the day me thinks. I wonder who will test, verify, cross check etc. Even if there is no match, the speculation is unlikely to subside due to the extent of other questionable submissions eg CCTV.

"PUBLIC PROSECUTORS yesterday began looking into the plea for justice from two Myanmar workers"

Looking into justice is their second priority? I don't get it isn't justice what the process is all about.

"they would not look into anything not related to the murder case." Well why would they, or are they suggesting many of the actions of the RTP were not related.

It was written some time ago that this case is officially a farce. Yep!

It will all get pushed under the carpet, the Burmese released for lack of evidence no one charged. It will be history......and nobody loses face.

And the Koh Tao headman goes on as usual.

I am not sure this one can be pushed under the carpet.

It has blown up far larger than anyone expected.

• Like 1

"He also said the National Human Rights Commission's (NHRC) move to summon police to explain allegations that these suspects were tortured" in an article yesterday, the police, who first interviewed the Burmese, were summoned to attend a "meeting'" with the NHRC, guess what... none showed up, I wonder why.

I've just read a brief statement in the other Thai English language newspaper that the KT Headman has now agreed to have his son DNA tested. The reason stated was that he wished to quell the social media speculation about his son's guilt/innocence.

A bit late in the day me thinks. I wonder who will test, verify, cross check etc. Even if there is no match, the speculation is unlikely to subside due to the extent of other questionable submissions eg CCTV.

Yeah. I agree.

It must've taken him this long to come up with the $$$$ baht to bribe this into action as far as getting it "right" with someone else's DNA.

To bad they can't just napalm the whole island & start over.

Honestly, how hard can it be to collect DNA? Follow the suspect & pick up a soda can or cigarette butt he discards.

Force him to take a drug test! They do that on the side of the flippin' road for Chrissake!

If the Bungling Boys in Brown cared at all they'd have had his DNA weeks ago.

• Like 1

joecoolfrog post # 26

If the case against the Burmese collapses , what happens next ?

The actual suspect(s) will act in the same way as happened in Chalerms sons case and the Red Bull heir cases.That is if they haven't already sprung from the starting blocks of coursewhistling.gif

sprinter.gif

Edited by siampolee

The Thais are trapped -

A suicide in Jail or murdered in jail - is looking like their only face saver now.

And its likely they will do it within the next 21 days before it all starts to unfold -

I hope (truly ) i am wrong-

But these Thais are not about to look completely foolish and dishonest-

They will do the deed and Save face -

Getting very close to dismissing the case against these two Birmese boy's. All the evidence,except the dodgy DNA samples, is purely circumstantial. The public prosecutor is finding it very hard to put this case before a judge. They all know that the police case, if pursued could mean the end of their careers. Better they do a bit of face saving and find some excuse to reopen the case and start looking for the real culprits. It looks like the Head Man's son is the first to know that the case is to be reopened.Now we get to the interesting point,who played around with the DNA,and where is the missing person whose DNA was found on the girls body? The British police could be the excuse they are looking for.

In another case (?Chiang Mai?) police tried to obtain sperm from a 'suspect' after three days of abuse. Not surprisingly none was forthcoming .

That's odd.... suspect many TV posters would produce large quantities of wrigglies after 45 - 60 minutes of abuse, properly applied, whether in Chiang Mai or Soi Nana or...