US rocket Antares explodes during launch

webfact

I'll share a story, a little off topic, but ends 'on-topic'

Was living out at the Farm. No running water, flushing toilets, Air-Con, boggy roads, no English TV,

I sleep on a 1 inch thick coir mat, the nearest shop is a 35 min walk away ... that's if it hasn't rained

If it's rained it's either bare feet in plastic bags tramping through the mud, then shoes on when you

get to the path, my Thai gf and I live with the whole Thai Family, MiL, FiL, Sisters, their kids ... you get the idea.

Plus we've had Twins ... they are 24/7

So I can do this for weeks on end, but occasionally it's nice to break out.

It was the Football Grand Final week-end ... I paid her Sister and Niece to take care of the sprogs for a day and a half.

Off to Bangkok, met up with a friend from this Forum, had lunch ... knives and forks ... what are they?

Then to the Pub to meet with another Forum friend ... he arrived early, actually, we were late and had reserved

a booth for us in, what was when we arrived, a packed Pub. Khun M ... wai.gif

The BarMaids were dressed as Bunnies as that was the mascot of the Football Team I was supporting on the day.

The Team won ... I had a wee bet on them (not in Thailand, of course).

Back to the hotel. Who would have guessed, doors have handles on them ... and they lock!

Air-con ... tip my hat to Mr Carrier.

Running hot water, unthinkable @ the Farm.

After the Shower ... rolleyes.gif

I crack another beer, turn on the TV and geeze ... it's in a language I understand, BBC news for 5 mins,

some channel surfing and a Star Trek movie was just starting, one of the new ones (back on topic, sort of)

MissFarmGirl was engrossed with 'Line', checking the kids were OK. I coughed, she looked up, looked @ me,

looked @ the TV, smiled and asked if I wanted a beer.

There is a God ... biggrin.png

Paradise, then back to the Farm the next day.

I wonder if Thailand has any aspirations for a Space Program.

Maybe Lawrence is a NASA fan and disappointed that their funding has been reduced to a trickle in relative terms over the past decades.

Who knows?

I've chatted with him on other matters, he's a nice guy.

It is true that this event should not be considered a NASA screw up as it was built by Orbital Sciences Corp

But it is also true & sad that the often called "Greatest Nation On Earth" has had to give up on space exploration due to

funding when so much $$$ is wasted on more futile war efforts.

Then again I had always thought NASA needed to think more outside the box. The Space Shuttle was also made obsolete

by its low orbit limitations.

Also the whole procedure by which not just NASA but the other countries too launch a vehicle... projectile like...

with brute force to break thru/ overcome gravity & the earths atmosphere to outer space seems like a cave mans way of doing things

Lastly I always thought it was maybe a little odd that we as a race would even try to explore outer space

( although I think it is very interesting) When we have not yet even explored the deepest depths of our own oceans

which cover more than 70% of our planet

Edited by mania

Maybe Lawrence is a NASA fan and disappointed that their funding has been reduced to a trickle in relative terms over the past decades.

Who knows?

It is true that this event should not be considered a NASA screw up as it was built by Orbital Sciences Corp

But it is also true & sad that the often called "Greatest Nation On Earth" has had to give up on space exploration due to

Then again I had always thought NASA needed to think more outside the box. The Space Shuttle was also made obsolete

Also the whole procedure by which not just NASA but the other countries too launch a vehicle... projectile like...

with brute force to break thru/ overcome gravity & the earths atmosphere to outer space seems like a cave mans way of doing things

Lastly I always thought it was maybe a little odd that we as a race would even try to explore outer space

( although I think it is very interesting) When we have not yet even explored the deepest depths of our own oceans

it is also true that it is an Eastern Block rocket.

Who knows?

it is also true that it is an Eastern Block rocket.

I'll think you'll find that it's Eastern Block rocket Engines ... probably the most vital hardware component though.

NASA built dreams and now it's struggling to launch an unmanned supply rocket ....rather a sad decline and why were they using Russian rockets anyway ?

Only relief is no loss of human lives

Oh, really?

Well how do explain this?

23735_large_3055661754_36a8279043.jpg

Yeah, that's right. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Who knows?

Bingo David

I am an admirer of all things that innovates and creates a wow factor and would not bash something for the fun of it

It's sad when you see this happening ....NASA should be able to get a routine supply rocket up with no issues ...whether it is using its own parts or a certified supplier of parts ..this should not have happen. I

It's seems to be a decline of management ...funding ..maybe a bit of both ...but sad to see a great agency not get this right.

Who knows?

Bingo David

I am an admirer of all things that innovates and creates a wow factor and would not bash something for the fun of it

It's sad when you see this happening ....NASA should be able to get a routine supply rocket up with no issues ...whether it is using its own parts or a certified supplier of parts ..this should not have happen. I

It's seems to be a decline of management ...funding ..maybe a bit of both ...but sad to see a great agency not get this right.

Perhaps the error is in thinking anything about sending up a rocket is "routine".

http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/taurus2.html

Who knows?

Bingo David

A family member was R&D director of JPL's commercial division for many years. He thought a lot of the spending was a complete waste of money. Said we've got to sort the problems out down here first, of which there are many.

The rockets of two aspiring space taxi companies destroyed in disasters only a few days apart.

hhhmmmmm.....

Who could profit from such a thing?

I would hazard a guess that, on this occasion, it was just a coincidence of events.

Life is like that some times.

OH ... I can confirm it wasn't the Klingons ... I have an inside source and definitely not them.

• Like 1