A Timely Warning To All !

PostmanPat

Back to OP, hasn't it all been settled that it is not a great idea to drink and drive and that you might be asked to demonstrate your sobriety, especially around special holidays? What's all the yak-yakyak ?! rolleyes.gif

Maybe some people need to go see a good movie --- or download one! Maybe even get out and around, even to a mall or for some exercise! smile.png

Or maybe have a nice curry. I don't know why but you reminded me of Smashey and Nicey. "How to enjoy yourself".

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr K has never paid or been asked for anything. He's been pulled over many times for a check, he's had 2 tickets (both of which he deserved, he was in the wrong) which were issued without any mention of making what is after all an illegal bribe. He carries a copy of his passport and green book under his seat and his driver licence in his pocket and wouldn't pay an illegal bribe if he was asked.

If you're not doing anything wrong and are polite, they aren't going to do anything. This is from almost 5 years riding his bike around town several times a week. I don't know anyone personally who has made such a payment.

You are a very lucky man. My experience is different, and that's all I can go on. I have paid 4 illegal bribes in 3 years: 1 in Hua Hin and 3 in Chiang Mai. Each time I have been unfailingly polite and, as time has progressed, have spoken increasingly better Thai.

So what is the difference between those who 'have got to' pay bribes and those who don't? I'm not starting a flame/troll war, it's a serious question. I hear of people who pay bribes, mostly here on ThaiVisa but don't actually know anyone who has. We have a lot of friends who drive cars, utes and (mostly) ride bikes- the majority of them are scooters, but I'm also talking of a Harley, a couple of pretend Harleys and sports bikes right up to a Ducati. Not one of our friends have ever been asked to pay anything more than a ticket (payable at the police station by Kad Luang), and only when they openly admit that they have been stupid and ran a red light or made an illegal turn or some such thing; several of them are like us and have very strong feelings on such things - they would no more pay a bribe than we would.

I'm not being difficult, I'm just trying to understand what the difference is.

The difference is simply this: the cop tells you that you have a choice: a) he will take your license and your keys, then take 30 minutes writing you a ticket, and you then make your way to the station and pay 400 baht to retrieve them, or B) you can then and there put 400 baht into the storage compartment under the seat. What would you do, particularly if you, a) don't have a clue where the station is, and B) realize that it may take half a day for your keys and license to get back to the station?

So what is the difference between those who 'have got to' pay bribes and those who don't? I'm not starting a flame/troll war, it's a serious question. I hear of people who pay bribes, mostly here on ThaiVisa but don't actually know anyone who has. We have a lot of friends who drive cars, utes and (mostly) ride bikes- the majority of them are scooters, but I'm also talking of a Harley, a couple of pretend Harleys and sports bikes right up to a Ducati. Not one of our friends have ever been asked to pay anything more than a ticket (payable at the police station by Kad Luang), and only when they openly admit that they have been stupid and ran a red light or made an illegal turn or some such thing; several of them are like us and have very strong feelings on such things - they would no more pay a bribe than we would.

The difference is simply this: the cop tells you that you have a choice: a) he will take your license and your keys, then take 30 minutes writing you a ticket, and you then make your way to the station and pay 400 baht to retrieve them, or cool.png you can then and there put 400 baht into the storage compartment under the seat. What would you do, particularly if you, a) don't have a clue where the station is, and cool.png realize that it may take half a day for your keys and license to get back to the station?

Neither time Mr K has been issued a ticket has he been offered a choice, and neither has anyone we know - a lot of them would be very outraged and everyone would know about it. As regards to choice, neither of us would EVER pay a bribe. Both times he's been pinged he's been told which police station to go to (first time he was given directions) and if it were to take him half the day, I'd say 'Suck it up - shouldn't have done the wrong thing so it serves you right'.

Anyway, it still doesn't answer the question of what's the difference between people who are solicited for a bribe and those who are not - or is it that with the money in storage under the seat or with your licence means that you are offering rather than being solicited?

BTW - I like the sunglasses thing, thanks for sharing, I'll put it to good use.

The difference is simply this: the cop tells you that you have a choice: a) he will take your license and your keys, then take 30 minutes writing you a ticket, and you then make your way to the station and pay 400 baht to retrieve them, or cool.png you can then and there put 400 baht into the storage compartment under the seat. What would you do, particularly if you, a) don't have a clue where the station is, and cool.png realize that it may take half a day for your keys and license to get back to the station?

Neither time Mr K has been issued a ticket has he been offered a choice, and neither has anyone we know - a lot of them would be very outraged and everyone would know about it. As regards to choice, neither of us would EVER pay a bribe. Both times he's been pinged he's been told which police station to go to (first time he was given directions) and if it were to take him half the day, I'd say 'Suck it up - shouldn't have done the wrong thing so it serves you right'.

Anyway, it still doesn't answer the question of what's the difference between people who are solicited for a bribe and those who are not - or is it that with the money in storage under the seat or with your licence means that you are offering rather than being solicited?

I really can't answer your question as I don't think it is a black and white situation. I was riding with a friend one day and did not have are seat belts on. Got stopped at police stop. My friend took two hundred baht and put it in his hand before the cop got to the window. the cop said nothing my friend just discretely handed him the two hundred baht did up his seat belt and we were on are way.

The cop took the money but did not ask for it. My friend initialized the bribe. If he hadn't would he have got a ticket I don't know. How many bribes are initialized by the briber. How many by the taker? Also how many that offer it and then put the police down for taking it are just putting themselves as the same level as the cop.

I got a ticket no helmet my fault.showed my thai license and said how much 100 no he said 200 ok no problem.got change from a shop keys and license in the basket we shock hands money gone I left with my helmet on.otherwise I pay more and a hr or more at the station,what would prefer.i know my choice

My lady does not drink, and, not only is a cautious driver, but knows how to smile her way through any police check.

I, on the other hand (and by all accounts) am a confessed lager lout, who likes to hoot and holler his way to a good time.

I have, and will continue, to not drive.

My lady loves to sit and buy drinks for the girls....and we both enjoy.

signed............nothing to hide. (and not getting laid either)

Thanks for sharing that.

The blood alcohol limit in Thailand is 50 mg/litre, In the UK it is 80 .So by my really rough guess one large bottle and one small bottle of Chang would put you over the limit.

Wouldn't that depend on your body mass? I'm really not sure, but that would make sense to me.

Also, shouldn't tolerance be a factor. If someone drinks a big bottle of whiskey everyday to get a buzz, they're not going to be impaired whatsoever by a .05 blood alcohol level, are they? In the old days, sobriety tests like saying the alphabet quickly or standing on one leg with your eyes closed and touching your nose were used. Walking a straight line was also popular, but that means that the police must do more work and make a judgement call, so let's go with the no-brain solution that brings higher conviction rates by only considering blood-alcohol levels.

I'm not trying to lock horns with you, I just wonder if these are valid factors.

Following that logic, speed limits should be adjusted for driving skill, alertness, weather and road conditions.....

Still sound good? Let the police make them all judgment calls?

Please learn to read!!!

I specifically said I am only asking these questions for discussion sake not that they SOUND GOOD TO ME.

Thanks for doing your part to make this forum a little nastier. It's <deleted> like you who deter some people from trying to have any type of intelligent discussions here.

• Like 1

I also like to drink sometime but knowing the consequences I would never drink and drive below or above the limit. So I drink only when I am going to take a taxi back home. For those who think drinking and driving is a joke, I just mention few things that may change your mind:

1. Fine between 4000 to 20 000 Baht.
  2. Loss of driving license between 6 months to life.
  3. Imprison for a year.
  4. It is consider a crime and they can deport any foreigner having criminal case in the court in Thailand and black list for 5 years. It means bye bye Thailand for at least 5 years.
  5. If you have accident your travel insurance will not pay any damages to you or the third party. So everything will go out of your pocket.
  6. Your health insurance in Thailand or elsewhere will refuse any payment since you were drinking and driving.
  7. Damages to your car/motorbike and the third party has to be paid by you.

Well there may be more stuff that I don't know. Now if you still think you would like to be a BIG BOY who is not scare of anything then please carry on. This place will be more safe once you are gone.

The blood alcohol limit in Thailand is 50 mg/litre, In the UK it is 80 .So by my really rough guess one large bottle and one small bottle of Chang would put you over the limit.

Wouldn't that depend on your body mass? I'm really not sure, but that would make sense to me.

Also, shouldn't tolerance be a factor. If someone drinks a big bottle of whiskey everyday to get a buzz, they're not going to be impaired whatsoever by a .05 blood alcohol level, are they? In the old days, sobriety tests like saying the alphabet quickly or standing on one leg with your eyes closed and touching your nose were used. Walking a straight line was also popular, but that means that the police must do more work and make a judgement call, so let's go with the no-brain solution that brings higher conviction rates by only considering blood-alcohol levels.

I'm not trying to lock horns with you, I just wonder if these are valid factors.

Following that logic, speed limits should be adjusted for driving skill, alertness, weather and road conditions.....

Please learn to read!!!

I specifically said I am only asking these questions for discussion sake not that they SOUND GOOD TO ME.

Thanks for doing your part to make this forum a little nastier. It's <deleted> like you who deter some people from trying to have any type of intelligent discussions here.

How is this for a intelligent discussion.

Don't warn people about road blocks to stop drinking and driving. In this day and age they know they are in the wrong. If they insist on playing the game let them reap the rewards.

I noticed mrfarukh left of possibility of death , creating some one else's death and life time disabilities. Not exactly the type of rewards I would like in a game I am playing.

I specifically said I am only asking these questions for discussion sake not that they SOUND GOOD TO ME."

Where?

I'm a risk-taker. Some call it an Adrenalin Junkie. I ride fast motorcycles, love jumping off cliffs with a parachute, cavern diving and wreck diving, extreme skiing, etc., etc. I live for it. I don't mind risking my life for enjoyment...

... but I draw the line at risking someone else's life without them even being aware of it. It's just not right. And that's what is being done by people who drive after drinking. It's the rare person indeed who realizes that alcohol impairs function, both physical and mental. It's been shown in the laboratory time and time again that even one drink causes impairment. If you drink and drive, you are risking other people's lives, without their consent, just so you can have your own personal enjoyment.

It's not about 'nanny states.' It's about endangering others. Please don't. There are plenty of taxis and plenty of cheap beds in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Let me amend my last post. I said "It's the rare person indeed who realizes that alcohol impairs function, both physical and mental."

What I really meant to say was that 'it's the rare person who admits that alcohol impairs their functioning.'

I don't know if it's machismo, bravado, or simply stupidity, but we humans seem to refuse to believe, even with dozens of repeated scientific in-your-face studies proving the fact, alcohol impairs our functioning.

The police aren't trying to limit our pleasure. They really don't give a damn about our pleasures.

They are trying to insure the lives and safety of people we may never even know.

• Like 1

I'm a risk-taker. Some call it an Adrenalin Junkie. I ride fast motorcycles, love jumping off cliffs with a parachute, cavern diving and wreck diving, extreme skiing, etc., etc. I live for it. I don't mind risking my life for enjoyment...

... but I draw the line at risking someone else's life without them even being aware of it. It's just not right. And that's what is being done by people who drive after drinking. It's the rare person indeed who realizes that alcohol impairs function, both physical and mental. It's been shown in the laboratory time and time again that even one drink causes impairment. If you drink and drive, you are risking other people's lives, without their consent, just so you can have your own personal enjoyment.

It's not about 'nanny states.' It's about endangering others. Please don't. There are plenty of taxis and plenty of cheap beds in Chiang Mai.

The Thai anti-drinking slogans usually say something like "don't drive drunk". The problem with that is that most people who are drunk don't think they are, but in principal it is right. So long as you are only drinking in small amounts over the course of an evening you more than likely aren't drunk, especially if you bear in mind that the body will absorb one drink an hour.

If some people think that they shouldn't drink any alcohol when they are driving, up to them, but the assumption that drinking any amount of alcohol , no matter how small and no matter how long between drinks is a danger to others doesn't do it for me. Drinking and driving and drunk driving are not necessarily the same thing. If you think they are, don't drink and drive, but there is no real reason to assume that people having a drink or two are reckless and selfish.

• Like 1

I also like to drink sometime but knowing the consequences I would never drink and drive below or above the limit. So I drink only when I am going to take a taxi back home. For those who think drinking and driving is a joke, I just mention few things that may change your mind:

• Fine between 4000 to 20 000 Baht.
  • Loss of driving license between 6 months to life.
  • Imprison for a year.
  • It is consider a crime and they can deport any foreigner having criminal case in the court in Thailand and black list for 5 years. It means bye bye Thailand for at least 5 years.
  • If you have accident your travel insurance will not pay any damages to you or the third party. So everything will go out of your pocket.
  • Your health insurance in Thailand or elsewhere will refuse any payment since you were drinking and driving.
  • Damages to your car/motorbike and the third party has to be paid by you.
Well there may be more stuff that I don't know. Now if you still think you would like to be a BIG BOY who is not scare of anything then please carry on. This place will be more safe once you are gone.
You're a model citizen that believes everything you read! I have a couple of beers most nights but haven't been drunk in over twenty years. I may well be over some arbitrary limit set my over-cautious zealot-influenced law makers but I am certainly not a danger to myself or anyone else. I pass an alcohol/ drugs checkpoint 3 or 4 nights a week and hardly ever get stopped and if for some reason they do stop me, they invariably wave me on once they look inside.

The consequences that you list are all very scary, but in reality the likelihood of anyone being penalised for numbers 2-7 are pretty remote unless you are falling over drunk and have had a very serious accident, in which case they may be deserved. If you've had one over the odds and had a minor bump, the likelihood of them testing you for alcohol is pretty remote. The police and insurance are more concerned with sorting out the problem than worrying if you might be technically over the limit. Like everyone else I'm against people that are drunk driving, but the guy who's had 2 or 3 beers over the course of an evening doesn't worry me at all.

Over the years I've had a couple of fender-benders and minor scrapes, one of which was my fault, and also a very serious head on crash, all of which had nothing to do with alcohol on my part, or the part of the other driver. Accidents happen, but to suggest that if a guy happened to have had an accident when he'd had a beer or two that it was because of the alcohol is mostly ridiculous. His reactions may have been impaired slightly, but generally speaking never enough to have avoided most accidents. We could all spend our lives erring on the side of caution, but when all is said and done, it wouldn't make much difference other than making life a lot less interesting and keeping the panic merchants happy.

Well you bring up some good points how ever size does matter in how much the average person can drink and stay under .05 it is .08 in Canada a more realistic number but

suggest that if a guy happened to have had an accident when he'd had a beer or two that it was because of the alcohol is mostly ridiculous.

try that argument on an insurance company. Or in a court of law.

Let me amend my last post. I said "It's the rare person indeed who realizes that alcohol impairs function, both physical and mental."

What I really meant to say was that 'it's the rare person who admits that alcohol impairs their functioning.'

I don't know if it's machismo, bravado, or simply stupidity, but we humans seem to refuse to believe, even with dozens of repeated scientific in-your-face studies proving the fact, alcohol impairs our functioning.

The police aren't trying to limit our pleasure. They really don't give a damn about our pleasures.

They are trying to insure the lives and safety of people we may never even know.

I do not drink how ever I was once a young man and did a fair amount of it. For a couple of years I hit about two 25 ounces of whiskey a night. If I drank beer which also I had occasion to do one beer and I would tell you I was OK and believe it. How ever when I looked into a mirror my eyes were dilated and they say I had started to slur my speech. That was with just one beer a 4.2 alcohol content.

But I would be just as adamant as chiangmaijoe that it did not affect me. I never had an accident in that condition . Probably because I was at home or continued to drink a lot more. How ever the chance was there as I said I had changed. Most of us are lucky and never have accidents but the possibility is always there and only increases with the amount you drink.

As I said earlier .05 is low .08 is a better figure. What would people do here if they like back home set up road blocks and were armed with a breathalyzer for on the spot checks.

for the Thai bashers who believe there is no such thing as an honest Thai cop can you imagine the tea money Ka ching Ka ching. the cops would all have Harleys.

I do not drink how ever I was once a young man and did a fair amount of it. For a couple of years I hit about two 25 ounces of whiskey a night. If I drank beer which also I had occasion to do one beer and I would tell you I was OK and believe it. How ever when I looked into a mirror my eyes were dilated and they say I had started to slur my speech. That was with just one beer a 4.2 alcohol content.

But I would be just as adamant as chiangmaijoe that it did not affect me. I never had an accident in that condition . Probably because I was at home or continued to drink a lot more. How ever the chance was there as I said I had changed. Most of us are lucky and never have accidents but the possibility is always there and only increases with the amount you drink.

As I said earlier .05 is low .08 is a better figure. What would people do here if they like back home set up road blocks and were armed with a breathalyzer for on the spot checks.

for the Thai bashers who believe there is no such thing as an honest Thai cop can you imagine the tea money Ka ching Ka ching. the cops would all have Harleys.

Eyes dilated and slurred speech after one beer! That makes you exceptional. We're talking about normal people here.

• Like 1

suggest that if a guy happened to have had an accident when he'd had a beer or two that it was because of the alcohol is mostly ridiculous.

The likelihood of that happening to the likes of me, a very moderate drinker is extremely remote in Thailand. If you all want to be ultra cautious that's fine by me. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

The likelihood of that happening to the likes of me, a very moderate drinker is extremely remote in Thailand. If you all want to be ultra cautious that's fine by me.

Exactly what I would have said after one beer. Difference being I knew I had changed and you don't.

Don't waste your time or my time telling me how different you are. You are not it affects you and as you admitted in your back handed way a court of law and an insurance company would not buy your being special.

The likelihood of that happening to the likes of me, a very moderate drinker is extremely remote in Thailand. If you all want to be ultra cautious that's fine by me.

Exactly what I would have said after one beer. Difference being I knew I had changed and you don't.

Don't waste your time or my time telling me how different you are. You are not it affects you and as you admitted in your back handed way a court of law and an insurance company would not buy your being special.

I'm referring to the fact that I live in Thailand, and the odds on me ending up in court because I drank 3 small beers in the course of an evening are remote, if not non-existent. I'm on my way home now, having consumed two small beers during the last two and a half hours, so be warned.

• Like 1

By the way Northernjohn your obvious alcohol intolerance ( slurred speech after one beer) is not legally recognised as being drunk in most of the civilised world, Thailand included. Out of curiosity, maybe you'd like, or anyone else for that matter, to give me a figure as to what the increased likelihood is of me having an accident as a result of my consuming 2 or 3 small beers over the course of 3 hours are, as a percentage, to the nearest whole number, if indeed it is a whole number.

Chiengmaijoe,

Perhaps the poster Big Carl could answer that.

As for what a foreigner telling another foreigner what a Thai "cop" thinks or how they think in "performing" their duties, I think you know the answer to that.

• Like 1

Be great if they did some spot checks on the idiot speeding and weaving all over the road.

How about some "driving like a lunatic" fines or suspensions; drink or no drink?

Number of times I've seen cars weave through motorway traffic at 140+ and pass police cars that don't do a thing.

Need some cameras in their cars and tips for doing their jobs ?

I really can't answer your question as I don't think it is a black and white situation. I was riding with a friend one day and did not have are seat belts on. Got stopped at police stop. My friend took two hundred baht and put it in his hand before the cop got to the window. the cop said nothing my friend just discretely handed him the two hundred baht did up his seat belt and we were on are way.

The cop took the money but did not ask for it. My friend initialized the bribe. If he hadn't would he have got a ticket I don't know. How many bribes are initialized by the briber. How many by the taker? Also how many that offer it and then put the police down for taking it are just putting themselves as the same level as the cop.

This is what I'm trying to get at, and I purposefully am not including them in my thinking. Is the fact that we and our friends have never offered a factor? I'd say it's probably the biggest factor, but people are reporting that they have been asked if they want to pay the 'fine' on the spot or go to the police station. What I really want to know is what is the difference between us and the people who don't offer but have the suggestion made to them.

What is the difference between us and them?