A Timely Warning To All !

PostmanPat

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One week ago I saw a police checkpoint at the east side of the Iron Bridge, roughly in front of The Duke's. This was about midnight.

They're there a lot, but invariably only stop motorbikes and pickups. I drive a car and have never been stopped in dozens of passes through. That's true of most check points.

Many is the time I have walked by there and the cones where there but no police. They rarely check on the kids on the bridge. For the most part most of the kids are not drinking any how. They are for the most part polite and will move to make room for you when crossing the bridge. There is the occasional rude ones who make you walk in the street. But for the most part I find them very friendly.

Does the OP really think this is a timely warning?

Who knows from which country he originates but he should be ashamed if it's in the West.

If he is British he should hang his head in shame.

Drink driving has been castigated legally and more importantly, socially, for decades.

Taxi is cheap if you live in BKK, but me, I have to drive two hours back to Sattahip. Problem is, their opinion of my being fit to drive and mine are quite different. Cost me a few thousand baht last time. Now I either skip the free beer or rent a room? or know which way to exit Brit club to not get a stop?

The drink and drive warnings have been chanted for many years now. Everyone knows people die when you mix drinking with driving so if someone is stupid and irresponsible enough to drive after drinking then they are a total moron and deserve everything the Thai police throw at them.

As someone else has already stated Taxis are cheap so absolutely no excuse..

• Like 1

Does the OP really think this is a timely warning?

Who knows from which country he originates but he should be ashamed if it's in the West.

If he is British he should hang his head in shame.

Drink driving has been castigated legally and more importantly, socially, for decades.

Why should he be ashamed for warning us that the Thai authorities are finally getting serious about drink driving? If it gets a few more drunk drivers/riders off the road or dissuades us from ordering that one more beer before we hit the road, that's a good thing...IMO.

• Like 1

OK, I will take your word for the 300 baht rooms. All I can go on is that I have looked for, and stayed in, lots of different places in CM (I taught in Samoeng and commuted each weekend) and have never run into a 300 baht room.

As for the guys who applaud the police checkpoints: no one in their right minds is in favour of drunk driving, so you are not exclusively enlightened in that regard. But there are many reasons, aside from being drunk, to want to avoid the police: not having your passport, expired license, no license, registration issues, etc. Last month I was stopped twice in one week, albeit on my motorbike. Each time the cops found me at fault for something (no passport, registration 1 month expired) and each time it took a 400 baht "donation" to settle the matter. The police can always find something to ding you for.

When I first moved to Thailand I was being fined on a regularly for various minor traffic offences that I had committed then I got myself 100% legal and now try to obey all the laws and in the last four 3 years I have only had 1 speeding fine. So the police can't always find something to ding you for. IMO

• Like 2

The blood alcohol limit in Thailand is 50 mg/litre, In the UK it is 80 .So by my really rough guess one large bottle and one small bottle of Chang would put you over the limit.

Or two cocktails will put you right at the limit. I was stop by the police, had two cocktails thinking it wouldn't be a problem. Bam! reading showed 51, the police let me slide with a crisp 1000, but he kept on asking if I had more ... I talked my way out. Police has been stepping up check points ever since last year, I use to drive when I go out for a couple of drinks, but not anymore, not worth the hassle and I figure I would save the police fines on taxi money or bts.

I've also read a lot of cases where police refuse the money nowadays, they don't want to be filmed accepting bribes. That's a positive note.

• Like 1

I live in Khon Kaen but tend not to go into the city for a drink as I would have to drive from the village about 20-25 mins, no taxis. On the odd occasion when I do I will only have 1 bottle beer and water. We go down to Pattaya a lot and I never, never drive at night in Pattaya, I see so many Falang driving in their motor bikes and cars it makes me laugh at their brain works as it is so easy to get baht busses any where.

How things have changed.

I was with a buddy years back in pattaya , both im sorry to say had more than a few too many.

Anyhow we pulled at some lights on a couple of scooters wed hired.

While waiting buddy managed to fall off his bike. Two police on their bike a few cars back noticed and pulled up next to him.

After a discussion one hopped on his bike while buddy got on the back of the other coppers bike and off we travelled back to the hotel.

Once there xxxxx baht handed over to bib , and a goodbye with a smile.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Those were the days crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

OK, I will take your word for the 300 baht rooms. All I can go on is that I have looked for, and stayed in, lots of different places in CM (I taught in Samoeng and commuted each weekend) and have never run into a 300 baht room.

As for the guys who applaud the police checkpoints: no one in their right minds is in favour of drunk driving, so you are not exclusively enlightened in that regard. But there are many reasons, aside from being drunk, to want to avoid the police: not having your passport, expired license, no license, registration issues, etc. Last month I was stopped twice in one week, albeit on my motorbike. Each time the cops found me at fault for something (no passport, registration 1 month expired) and each time it took a 400 baht "donation" to settle the matter. The police can always find something to ding you for.

Amuses me that you were caught driving illegally but still consider the fine a "donation".

Stopped myself 2 days ago. First bib waved me in, second told me to go, nothing checked. Been stopped several times before and when fined had no argument as I was at fault. Never been fined for no reason.

It amuses me too that you think that being without a passport is driving illegally, unless you consider walking down the street without a passport is walking illegally. The cops were fishing for bribes and if they stop you and have a Harley payment due, you are dead meat as they can always find something to nail you for.

Why don't you tell us where the 300 baht rooms are?

Plenty of short stay rooms near the red light districts, I am sure that you know this already.

I am curious about this and have asked several persons if there are short-time hotels near Loi Kroh, but no one has ever been able to give me the name of one. Maybe the belief that they exist is an urban myth?

People with drinking issues / alcoholism perceive the world as being against them and everyone is to blame except them. For these people aka "little gods" life is "all about me"

Awful that society tries to get impaired drivers off the road.

I propose a special device for cars that detects a single occupant driver intoxicated then incinerates the vehicle.

Edited by atyclb

My lady does not drink, and, not only is a cautious driver, but knows how to smile her way through any police check.

I, on the other hand (and by all accounts) am a confessed lager lout, who likes to hoot and holler his way to a good time.

I have, and will continue, to not drive.

My lady loves to sit and buy drinks for the girls....and we both enjoy.

signed............nothing to hide. (and not getting laid either)

I trust those ladies' drinks come out of HER allowance; else she may simply be amassing farang harnessing points.

"The police can always find something to ding you for".

Agreed, probably true in most countries.

I am no angel by any means, but I get the impression that many expats (and tourists), think that they can do pretty much as they please here.wai.gif

The blood alcohol limit in Thailand is 50 mg/litre, In the UK it is 80 .So by my really rough guess one large bottle and one small bottle of Chang would put you over the limit.

If that's the law, so be it.

You know, so there can be no complaints.

"... so there can be no complaints."

If that ever happened Thai Visa would go out of business.

Wouldn't that depend on your body mass? I'm really not sure, but that would make sense to me.

Also, shouldn't tolerance be a factor. If someone drinks a big bottle of whiskey everyday to get a buzz, they're not going to be impaired whatsoever by a .05 blood alcohol level, are they? In the old days, sobriety tests like saying the alphabet quickly or standing on one leg with your eyes closed and touching your nose were used. Walking a straight line was also popular, but that means that the police must do more work and make a judgement call, so let's go with the no-brain solution that brings higher conviction rates by only considering blood-alcohol levels.

I'm not trying to lock horns with you, I just wonder if these are valid factors.