A Timely Warning To All !

PostmanPat

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The blood alcohol limit in Thailand is 50 mg/litre, In the UK it is 80 .So by my really rough guess one large bottle and one small bottle of Chang would put you over the limit.

If that's the law, so be it.

You know, so there can be no complaints.

• Like 2

How things have changed.

I was with a buddy years back in pattaya , both im sorry to say had more than a few too many.

Anyhow we pulled at some lights on a couple of scooters wed hired.

While waiting buddy managed to fall off his bike. Two police on their bike a few cars back noticed and pulled up next to him.

After a discussion one hopped on his bike while buddy got on the back of the other coppers bike and off we travelled back to the hotel.

Once there xxxxx baht handed over to bib , and a goodbye with a smile.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

One week ago I saw a police checkpoint at the east side of the Iron Bridge, roughly in front of The Duke's. This was about midnight.

That is there quite regularly....amongst other things stops people (mainly underage youths) drinking on the bridge, picks up a van load of Burmese quite regularly as well....also Thais coming down the road from Goodview/Riverside etc around closing.

For Loi Kratong that section is closed down anyway but there is usually a large police presence in tents/marquees on the river side opposite the 7/11.

Edited by mamborobert

It's way past time for all country's to get REALLY serious about drink drivers and up the penalties high enough to all but erase it. I say all but because there is always a certain percentage of complete and utter idiots who think they are above any law. I would suggest mandatory 6 months imprisonment for first offence as driving bans don't work well, especially in a country like Thailand where the law is mostly ignored by many, including Farang, who seem to think that when they leave their own country they can drop to the lowest denominator of behaviour and mimic the locals worst habits.

Heavy duty punishments don't go down well with some but if you can't do the time...don't do the crime. No arguments will do as drink driving is a criminal offence...period.

• Like 2

Why don't you tell us where the 300 baht rooms are?

300 baht is one of the cheaper ones, but there are plenty of guest houses with empty rooms under 1000 baht. This may change during Loi Krathong.

I like the occasional night out, but I always either take a tuk-tuk or stay in walking distance of the condo. I don't want the hassle of an arrest or emergency room visit, these make the evening much less pleasant.

• Like 1

Why don't you tell us where the 300 baht rooms are?

Up and down soi 8 and soi 9 off Moon Muang Road. Dozens of them scattered all through the small sois in the Old City, north and south, east and west. They are the backpacker's standard, most have a restaurant attached, most offer fan or air/con, a few are run-down, but for a place to sleep off a drunk, their beds are clean, and the rooms are too. Above all, they are cheap.

• Like 2

OK, I will take your word for the 300 baht rooms. All I can go on is that I have looked for, and stayed in, lots of different places in CM (I taught in Samoeng and commuted each weekend) and have never run into a 300 baht room.

As for the guys who applaud the police checkpoints: no one in their right minds is in favour of drunk driving, so you are not exclusively enlightened in that regard. But there are many reasons, aside from being drunk, to want to avoid the police: not having your passport, expired license, no license, registration issues, etc. Last month I was stopped twice in one week, albeit on my motorbike. Each time the cops found me at fault for something (no passport, registration 1 month expired) and each time it took a 400 baht "donation" to settle the matter. The police can always find something to ding you for.

• Like 1

You read about kids, families, friends dying because of drunk drivers. But then you say "I'm a good drunk driver." Or, "It will never happen to me." Or, "I know when to stop." One bad mistake and your legacy is gone, money gone, freedom gone, life-long reputation destroyed all because you thought life would not be unkind to you...

never drink and drive, and i have no sympathy on anyone dumb enough to do so...we are all old enough to know that it's better to take a taxi. be safe out there...

• Like 1

At a bar early evening today ; it was one of the girls birthday.

She arrived looking stunning followed ten minutes later by her alcoholic zombified farang boyfriend on his motorbike.

Its a usual sight for me and the mate same guy just dead to the world

However this time he was transporting the girls two beautiful daughters aged around 7 and 9

Self inflicted alcohol damage bring it on but taking two passengers he deserved a right .....ing.

• Like 2

OK, I will take your word for the 300 baht rooms. All I can go on is that I have looked for, and stayed in, lots of different places in CM (I taught in Samoeng and commuted each weekend) and have never run into a 300 baht room.

As for the guys who applaud the police checkpoints: no one in their right minds is in favour of drunk driving, so you are not exclusively enlightened in that regard. But there are many reasons, aside from being drunk, to want to avoid the police: not having your passport, expired license, no license, registration issues, etc. Last month I was stopped twice in one week, albeit on my motorbike. Each time the cops found me at fault for something (no passport, registration 1 month expired) and each time it took a 400 baht "donation" to settle the matter. The police can always find something to ding you for.

How would you know they will find some thing wrong? You sound like you don't even try to obey the law. I have never looked for a 300 baht a night but I know where there is one and I didn't even look.

• Like 1

I'll take a slightly different line than Northern John. Sure, I know where to find a 300 baht a night room -- not that I've ever had to since my own condo (slightly more than 300 baht/night) is about 400 meters from the moat.

I've never made a "donation" to the cops. I always carry my passport with me and I never ride a motorbike. But, unlike Northern John, I've been known to tip a few to where I probably wouldn't pass whatever passes for a drunk driving test here in Thailand. So, I simply don't drive.

• Like 1

I'll take a slightly different line than Northern John. Sure, I know where to find a 300 baht a night room -- not that I've ever had to since my own condo (slightly more than 300 baht/night) is about 400 meters from the moat.

I've never made a "donation" to the cops. I always carry my passport with me and I never ride a motorbike. But, unlike Northern John, I've been known to tip a few to where I probably wouldn't pass whatever passes for a drunk driving test here in Thailand. So, I simply don't drive.

You are an example to us all. I presume you are female judging from your user name. Perhaps ladies, always carrying a purse, always have their passports. Being a guy, I have no safe and secure place to carry a passport at all times.

I say again, if the cops stop you and are so inclined, they can always find fault.

One week ago I saw a police checkpoint at the east side of the Iron Bridge, roughly in front of The Duke's. This was about midnight.

They're there a lot, but invariably only stop motorbikes and pickups. I drive a car and have never been stopped in dozens of passes through. That's true of most check points. Edited by Chiengmaijoe