TAT urged to put focus on quality tourists to boost revenue

webfact

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to extract some serious cash from people, you need seriously good products that can earn a premium from which the government takes its bank from via taxation. Show me the world class locations near international airports that are attractive to those to which I think TAT maybe dreaming of.

Could it be the HiSo's idea of wealth and how to spend use it is radically different from the international communities. I see many perceived luxury brands and shopping experiences being pushed in bangkok, none of that is attractive to a traveller when they can obtain it their own countries and usually with a much broader selection of products.

I am still clutching at straws to understand what this quality tourist is, has TAT defined it??

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul revealed that she has instructed the TAT to look for a strategy to penetrate high-quality markets and increase the number of visitors with high purchasing power.

Does that answer your question?

The problem is that there are too many negatives to come here anymore. Thailand has the same as most tourist destinations except for the pretty young ladies but for a visitor with "high purchasing power" the ladies are in every country.

So what does Thailand have to offer the "quality high purchasing powered tourist? Nothing! Dirty seas and Beaches... Overpriced attractions and Misguided Thais who over-charge foreigners. Corruption on every level. Immigration crackdowns and harassment at the borders. The places that do have quality things for a sale usually charge too much and then there is the taxes for buying it.

The TAT has high hopes to get their 2.2 trillion for the year but that will never happen the way things are now. They will be lucky to hit 2 trillion.

SO their only metric is purchasing power, not spending, I am sure the aggregate spending of the 90% percentile is not outstripped by the top 10%, I could be wrong I'm just giving an opinion.

If TAT is succesful in upping its numbers, it will be improvement of trying to increase THAI passenger numbers.

Last thing I heard is that you have to take an IQ test before you're allowed to board a plane heading to Bangkok.

cheesy.gif i wonder what a Thai IQ test would consist of ?

Thai IQ test (100 Points).

Please choose one of the following answers:

Q1. How are you?

A. I'm fine.

B. I'm fine.

C. I'm fine.

D. All of the above.

End of test. giggle.gif

Oh Ajarn it seems very difficult.

How much does it cost to get an A ?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Last thing I heard is that you have to take an IQ test before you're allowed to board a plane heading to Bangkok.

cheesy.gif i wonder what a Thai IQ test would consist of ?

Thai IQ test (100 Points).

Please choose one of the following answers:

Q1. How are you?

A. I'm fine.

B. I'm fine.

C. I'm fine.

D. All of the above.

End of test. giggle.gif

Oh Ajarn it seems very difficult.

How much does it cost to get an A ?

Sorry, you all failed the test!

Q How are you?

A Fine thank you and you?

Quality tourist, one who drinks Heineken and not Leo!

Wears a T shirt not a vest and has tattoos all over arms and legs.

Accessory a pretty young lady looking most unladylike.

Not a quality tourist:

Drinks Leo,

Wears a vest or is bare chested'

Really bad tattoos all over body including neck ( a must),

Girl, definately iffy also with a neck tattoo!

Edited by buhi

Ok lets assume for a moment that "quality" tourists are going to want to visit the Northern regions of Thailand, so they arrive into the International Airport in Bangkok and from there jump on a tour bus which if they did their homework would find that it is an extremely unregulated and unsafe mode of transport with overworked unqualified drivers and buses that are less than mechanically sound - not even going to mention the very safe minibus network

Anybody want to do a head count on the injuries and fatalities that occur on public transport each year including buses minibuses and ferries and like everything else here is most likely underreported

Unfortunately Thailands safety record for tourists is going the wrong direction and this is just one aspect of the many that could be discussed here as to why people will choose to holiday elsewhere

Address the issues and the rest will follow - nice TV adds don't cut it anymore

• Like 2

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul revealed that she has instructed the TAT to look for a strategy to penetrate high-quality markets and increase the number of visitors with high purchasing power.

Look within yourself to find the reason why people go elsewhere.

You will not like what you find.

• Like 1

Hiso tourists with high spending power will be going to the Caribbean, Bora Bora, St Tropez etc etc....

Thailand is not a typical luxury destination. It is backpacker, modest earning working class types and a sprinkling of middle class.

The hiso jetset don't want to rub shoulders with these types and so go holiday in the high end destinations.

Thailand seems to think it is a lot more than it actually is. It has nothing more to offer than a thousand other places that don't have regular military coups, life under martial law, well known human rights abusers and of course huge amounts of crime and corruption including brutal murders with cover ups to follow.

For a start, people want to go somewhere that they know if they come a cropper, they will at least get justice.

I agree, if i was not living in Thailand and was looking for a place to take the family on holiday, Thailand wouldn't even make the top 5, like Rustbuket says to much crime, corruption, ripping off the tourist and the 'come back tommorow' attitude from anyone in authority..

Not to mention the reason why people came to thailand was more bang for your buck, now its on par with America in cost

• Like 2

One wrong letter makes all the difference.

Focus on Quality Tourism, then the quality tourists will follow.

And yes, you have to offer the one to receive the other.

Also, until you open a Paragon Diamond Excellence Boombastic Mall at Roi Et, high spending tourists (Middle East and Chinese moguls) will stick to Bangkok, where a dinner can cost more than two weeks in Isaan.

Why are they so stupip? They should first bring out some quality service, without cheating on the most tourists.

I just know from a new case/ Two foreigner, got ripped of for a suit 700 Euro. And the police doesn't stop them.

Thailand, wake up and start blaming yourself.

You have to improve a lot. Evaluate yourself, and stop cheating foreignern. That would be a good start.

northeastern region to listen to local authorities about problems they face in the promotion of tourist attractions in their respective areas

What tourist attractions ? Dinosaurs and Central shopping centres?

Can you keep your knowledge of attractions up here to yourself?tongue.png . We don't want millions of tourists visiting Du Home and Central and HomePro, and driving the price of somtam and radnaa up to southern levels. Leave the North East alone!

I'm going for my 40 Baht flat white nowcoffee1.gif

• Like 2

When a government, or department of a government (MOTS) does not recognize damage limitation and insists that imaginary, albeit calculated, targets are reached (2.2 trillion) then you will see nonsensical proposals such as you are seeing here.

There is no doubt that Thailand offers some beautiful natural resources and historical heritage in the Northeast, but where is the infrastructure? Where are these 'quality' tourists expected to stay in such numbers that it will make any difference? Are they expected to stay in the run-of-the-mill resorts and guesthouses or transported on busses the same as the package tourists?

That's not going to happen, not now, not ever.

And if by chance it does, it will be for one time only......................wink.png

• Like 2

I liked that they listed one of the attractions of the northeast as access to border crossings out of Thailand.

having recently driven across the border into Cambo, i can assure everyone, there is nothing quality about it. quality tourists will just change plane in swampy on the way to angkor wat etc.

Edited by stevehaigh

Quality tourist...your having a Laugh..Am in Lamphun which gets no tourists..got ripped of last night in a quiet restaurant /bar..was just out for a quiet drink..check bin!! 168bht for bottle of Leo for girl who chatted to me and I offered would she like a drink while she chatted to me..even outside the tourist areas ..and these girls aren't bar girls as such..80bht for Leo for me...stupidity as I will never go back..its a inherent ingrained mentality in so many Thais..they will never ever get more tourists even ,never mind Quality..whatever that means with there never mind about tomorrow mindset...buffalo's..

• Like 2

What they really need to do is get these local hiso <deleted> to spend some of their corruption money locally rather than hording it in garbage bags in their living room.

That wasn't corruption money. Remember, it was monetary gifts from the Daughter's Wedding! cheesy.gif

....let us define 'quality'......

...less tourists.....revenue down......

...need to get more money out of each tourist.......???

....is that 'quality'....???

....so quality is....what....not a quality....not having quality......having money....and spending more of it....???

...to make up for lost revenues....due to...poor service and quality....???

...go figure....

...I guess we define 'quality people'.....and 'quality students'....ad infinitum....the same way....???

....all based on bottom dollar....money....outlay....payment....profit.......???

• Like 1