British stars speak out against dog-meat trade's cruelty: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares and what the hell is Downtown Abbey?

Would anyone in Britain care if Nok Noi and Thongchai Mcintyre made a video about the treatment of rabbitsin the UK?

Good questions, as usual.

Make you wonder who is organizing something like this and for what reason?

More dogs eaten in Vietnam, China and South Korea. The latter very cruel.

The Japs are killing Whales again.

Game birds are bred and reared to be blasted out the sky in the UK. Deer are hunted in Scotland. Poaching going on all over the world, rhino and elephant slaughter in Africa etc etc.

Seems like someone or some group might be trying to keep Thailand under scrutiny for all the wrong reasons at the moment, cause as much trouble as possible for them. Paint them as the worst when they're not.

What a load of rubbish! Poor Thailand being victimised!

Yes your post is as you describe.

So why are these second rate British thesbians singling out Thailand? Why not condemn the international trade and all countries. Just coincidence? Do a bit of checking.

Who cares and what the hell is Downtown Abbey?

Would anyone in Britain care if Nok Noi and Thongchai Mcintyre made a video about the treatment of rabbitsin the UK?

Good questions, as usual.

Make you wonder who is organizing something like this and for what reason?

More dogs eaten in Vietnam, China and South Korea. The latter very cruel.

The Japs are killing Whales again.

Game birds are bred and reared to be blasted out the sky in the UK. Deer are hunted in Scotland. Poaching going on all over the world, rhino and elephant slaughter in Africa etc etc.

Seems like someone or some group might be trying to keep Thailand under scrutiny for all the wrong reasons at the moment, cause as much trouble as possible for them. Paint them as the worst when they're not.

What a load of rubbish! Poor Thailand being victimised!

Yes, your post is as you describe it.

Anything intelligent to add to the debate? Thought not.

I can't help thinking that the UK noticeably not the Govt are really sticking it to Thailand at the moment. Be it Social Media, daily newspapers, TV stars etc,,,, Given what's happened and is happening on that crappy little despicable island it's entirely understandable.

I've no idea what you are on about in your last sentence. But I doubt very much that 65 Million Britons give a toss was some prat living in Bangkok thinks about their country.

No idea what nationality you are, but its irrelevant. Idiocy isn't nationality dependent. tongue.png

It is amazing to me that people would think of speaking out against a valid food source, yet say nothing about cruelty towards humans; child labor, child abuse, slavery of migrants. I believe that humans should be first before animals. If it means that humans eat animals to gain protein, so much the better for both animals and humans.

It's amazing to me that you would think that people who speak out against dog torture, don't also talk out about cruelty towards humans, child labour, child abuse and slavery of migrants.

This particular thread happens to be about dogs if you haven't noticed.

• Like 1

Plants Know When They're Being Eaten and They Don't Appreciate it

http://inhabitat.com/plants-know-when-theyre-being-eaten-and-they-dont-appreciate-it/

You're havin' a larf!clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gifclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Yes, but it is a legitimate study. There have been many studies that demonstrate communication between plants. 'Google' it. People poison insects all the time. Are their lives less valuable? I have read posts proclaiming humans should be killed before soi dogs. The hypocrisy of dog lovers borders on the extreme.

So do you support an organisation that strive for better conditions for insects? Just curious...

Not a lot of animal lovers here on the forum. Those of us who object the killing do mostly because of how they are treated and killed. A lot of needless violence and agony and I support other organisations who want better conditions for livestock and poultry and I'm not a vegetarian.

Some people seem to get we are meant to evolve beyond animal behavior and this is a test of it. To see how many do care that all living things are treated as humane as possible despite they are a food source. Guess a lot of you never got out of homo sapien stage.

I am an animal lover, strange that the oh ever so PC Uk wont say anything against the slaughter of innocent animals for a Muslim festival every year.

Think this is going a bit far. I am sorry if I tread on or break off a flower----I am sorry if I accidentally hurt any living thing.

Unless we call in a medium or a.n. other best leave it at this. Suppose feeding on plants and meat is a natural thing, we are equipped with canines , and it gives us choices.

The main point of the TOPIC is cruelty. With intent to gain monetarily.

Yes the topic is cruelty which is what we are discussing right? I'm not talking about you "accidentally" hurting, I'm talking about deliberate violence or harm, like when humans kill and eat animals. These animals are nearly always children, science and logic tells us they feel pain, this killing and eating is purely for entertainment, just like bullfighting for example.

I'm not trying to attack you personally, I am just pointing out what appears to be clear to me from my point of view. Like for example canines do not make you a meat eater, this is clear by looking at many other animals with canines. I am very glad you pointed out that we have a choice. But.... if you believe eating meat is just a 'personal choice' then maybe you are forgetting someone?

Maybe canines do not make you a meat eater -but they helped me eat my Sunday dinner when younger.

We are funny folk really, we eat spring lamb-----rabbits------suckling pig------ others eat horse---frogs----snake-----dogs--even cats.

Who is to say who is wrong. ??

If animals are killed for human consumption have them killed in a painless non traumatic fashion.

I have seen the eyes of calves stare in fright just before they are cut across the throat. humans are barbaric to let animals suffer on death.

That must have been horrible to see! I am not to say what is wright or wrong, only that it feels wrong for me and most people to kill and animal (including humans), nobody enjoys the sights of the slaughterhouse and there is a reason for that! To kill is unnecessary, and now with the rise and growing popularity of veganism I am sure we can evolve toward a kinder future smile.png

When you eat animals or plants you do it "intentionally" are you honestly saying if you cut the head off a live plant it would feel the same to you as cutting the head from a live animal (even a human)? If, as I suspect, you have mixed feelings the you are not treating them as "equal".

Think this is going a bit far. I am sorry if I tread on or break off a flower----I am sorry if I accidentally hurt any living thing.

Unless we call in a medium or a.n. other best leave it at this. Suppose feeding on plants and meat is a natural thing, we are equipped with canines , and it gives us choices.

Yes the topic is cruelty which is what we are discussing right? I'm not talking about you "accidentally" hurting, I'm talking about deliberate violence or harm, like when humans kill and eat animals. These animals are nearly always children, science and logic tells us they feel pain, this killing and eating is purely for entertainment, just like bullfighting for example.

I'm not trying to attack you personally, I am just pointing out what appears to be clear to me from my point of view. Like for example canines do not make you a meat eater, this is clear by looking at many other animals with canines. I am very glad you pointed out that we have a choice. But.... if you believe eating meat is just a 'personal choice' then maybe you are forgetting someone?

Like for example canines do not make you a meat eater, this is clear by looking at many other animals with canines.

Name a few of the "many other animals with canines" that don't eat meat.

I didn't use the words "eat meat" however there are many non-carnivorous animals with canines; Horses, deer, hippos, wild boar, warthogs and other pig species, giant panda, red panda, many primates such as gorillas, lemurs...... A quick search will provide you with more, look here; http://freefromharm.org/photo-galleries/9-reasons-your-canine-teeth-dont-make-you-a-meat-eater/

And this is what it looks like. These dogs are in Laos headed to Vietnam.

DSC01615.JPG

Those dogs are being humanely transported compared to the ones I was stuck behind on my motorbike. The ones I saw were packed in on each other with no separation. There were at least two broken legs sticking through the bars, and God knows him many bodies twisted out of shape by the sheer weight. Unbelievable cruelty....

SPOCK.

No most likely I would not show pictures of dogs in a cage, neither would I show her a man with his head blown off, someone dead on a road from a crash (popular in Thailand) or a male or female with their genitals out, so what's your point???? Clearly, some of the darker sides to human kind we find out for ourselves later in life, or would you have me show my 5 year old now?

We have a rottweiler by the way, and before you go down the what if route, it would be an utter cretin who tried to abduct him.

Personal choices, BUT If I had a Baby I certainly would never have a rottweiller. because now at 5 she must have been very small when you got the dog.

Lovely dogs, but with a kid not the best of choice.

Clearly you have never owned a rottweiler, you can't ask for a better dog around kids. I won't waste my time trying to convert you, if you actually had an interest you would have googled it yourself and read opinions of people who have more experience with dogs than you.

1 year ago I had 10, and 2 cats. 65 years experience in dogs etc.

No I have not owned a rottweiller, nor a pit bull, and love dogs to hell BUT you can google all you like and ask friends that have rottweillers I am saying I would never chance having a new born kid and either of these breeds.

You cannot convert the converted. Any other time have a rotweiller......never chance one when you do not know the strain, as some are from bad nasty backgrounds. Lovely dogs poor choice with a baby. I would never leave a baby alone with a rotveiller near. it is the rare chance......I would care for my baby first---------choices.

errrr she was 4 and a half when we got him, hardly a newborn. Feel free to carry on though.

Like for example canines do not make you a meat eater, this is clear by looking at many other animals with canines.

I didn't use the words "eat meat" however there are many non-carnivorous animals with canines; Horses, deer, hippos, wild boar, warthogs and other pig species, giant panda, red panda, many primates such as gorillas, lemurs...... A quick search will provide you with more, look here; http://freefromharm.org/photo-galleries/9-reasons-your-canine-teeth-dont-make-you-a-meat-eater/

No, you didn't use the words "eat meat", you used the words "meat eater". I fail to see the distinction. Anyway I called you on you BS and yet you still insist.

While I agree you are entitled to your own opinion, I do not agree that you are entitled to you own facts; especially if you you try to promulgate them here. Canine teeth are not needed by non-meat eating animals.

Horses and deer do NOT have canine teeth and, as examples, do not support your above statement. On the other hand, pigs have canine teeth and are omnivores (meaning they will also eat meat) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig

Chimpanzees, which have canine teeth, will eat meat and many areas of Africa have meat-eating chimpanzees. http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMXk5Z6-IHY

Hippopotamus have very large canine teeth and eat meat. Here, a hippo eats a zebra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYVZdASgUw

Giant Panda have the necessary digestive system and have been known to eat meat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_panda

Humans are omnivores which means they will eat meat and plants. Dogs are meat; humans are meat. Humans are known to eat both as will dogs. I fail to see the distinction of dog meat as opposed to chicken, pig, beef, alligator, etc. or why they should enjoy special status. As a visitor to the Kingdom, it is not my business to pass judgment on the locals who want to eat dog. If it bothered me, I wouldn't come here. I do, however, draw the line at eating humans and would never visit a culture that allows humans to be used as food (Korowai people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korowai_people). Check any of the New Guinea forums and you won't find me moving there and then condemning their cannibalism. It's a personal choice the same way I see eating dog (or any other animal or plant) as a personal choice; so I won't be name-calling those with different food choices than mine. I suggest you develop a similar philosophy. Eleven countries around the globe still eat dog meat. They are: China, Indonesia, Korea, Mexico, Philippines, Polynesia, Taiwan, Vietnam, the Arctic and two cantons in Switzerland. https://www.facebook.com/notes/jelena-paunović/11-countries-which-still-eat-dog-meat/10151059019076930 I guess you can add Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia to that list.

I'm not going to put my value system on a country that hosts me. They are not the ones who have to change as it is their country.

If I were to suggest anything to the Thai people, it would be to regulate and control the raising, transportation, slaughter, and processing of dog meat in the interests of public safety. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with eating humanely processed dog meat.

Just so you know, I have never eaten dog and do not intend to ever eat dog so, really, I'm not your problem. Go tell Thai people to stop eating dog. Unless there are forum members who eat dog, you are wasting your time here.

Getting confused with eating snakes.

When I was in Vietnam and we eat snake, they hit the cobra with bamboo sticks because they believe if the adrenalin is flowing then there is more taste in the meat when the snake is slaughtered

And it is the same with dogs and cats. They are tortured and beaten to sweeten the flavour. It's called a fact, my friend, not a confusion.

Like I said, it is called a fact by morons and sadists. Which one are you? BTW, I'm not your 'friend'. Are you speaking from personal experience (I am) or are you just repeating ignorance. Just because some people believe unscientific things doesn't make it true. It is true that people 'believe' that torture 'sweetens' the meat but it is not true that it actually 'sweetens' them meat. I typed that last part slowly so you would understand this time.

I don't believe for one moment that beating an animal sweetens the meat. My issue with you was that you seemed to be suggesting that the beating of animals by Chinese, Vietnamese etc is confined to snakes. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. The fact I was referring to is that dogs and cats are beaten, not that beating sweetens the flavour.

• Like 1

Whilst this ' business ' is abhorrent, there are far more pressing practices in Thailand to be sorted out. I reckon the first should be to eradicate child slave labour such as selling roses and trinkets to tourists. Obviously something the police have no interest in stopping.

i UK abattoirs it used to be regular practice of the operators to leave an animal out to witness the death of the others - the idea being the creature would become terrified and the subsequent mat was either more tender or tastier.

In Korea there are those who believe if the dog is tortured it will make better eating.

Dogs for food often have their front legs broken and ties behind their backs - -my guess is that this is not just to make handling easier, it is probably also intended to improve the eating experience.

it would be a surd to think that those sot of ideas do not exist in the Thai dog meat trade.

The problem being that as unlike the pork or beef business it is unregulated these practices against dogs ca be far ore common tan in the slaughterhouse.

Whilst this ' business ' is abhorrent, there are far more pressing practices in Thailand to be sorted out. I reckon the first should be to eradicate child slave labour such as selling roses and trinkets to tourists. Obviously something the police have no interest in stopping.

Rather a facile approach?

Dealing with issues one at a time in a linear way is, of course, just nonsense - most issues are interlinked and dealing with one doesn't / shouldn't preclude another -

if you believe in the torture before death of other animals it is quite likely you also have the psyche that is not worried by other forms of abuse too........ a disregard for the law and an idea that your own "code of ethics" is better than society's?

This behaviour is not an "isolated" trait it is symptomatic of people who need to be checked.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Having eaten dog (in the Philippines) a half dozen times, I found it was quite tasty, but there they were well bred and well cared for dogs and raised for that specific purpose. That resulted in a much better product that what I've seen on offer in Thailand (in Sakon Nakhon).

I wouldn't eat any stolen animal, someone's pet, and certainly not any diseased soi dog.

When properly raised and prepared, it's a welcome addition to the dining table.

I do realize many people are squeamish about it, but others are the same about other animals such as rabbit, squirrel, and deer. And others turn away from other animals for religious reasons such as pork or beef.

To each his own.

As the saying goes, if God had intended us not to eat animal meat, he wouldn't have made it taste so good.licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

I find it hard to believe that any customer in a restaurant is in a position to check the chain of supply of the product he / she is stuffing in their mouth

And this is what it looks like. These dogs are in Laos headed to Vietnam.

DSC01615.JPG

Those dogs are being humanely transported compared to the ones I was stuck behind on my motorbike. The ones I saw were packed in on each other with no separation. There were at least two broken legs sticking through the bars, and God knows him many bodies twisted out of shape by the sheer weight. Unbelievable cruelty....

when a photo of dog meat carcasses was posted a few years back, it was removed

Soi dogs are indeed a major problem in a lot of areas. So catching and selling them for dog meat is an idea that should be encouraged.

do you SERIOUSLY think this will address the problem of soi dogs?

I think you need to do a bit of research into dog populations.

Homo Sapiens - the species that evolved from the average TV member - was never carnivore - the species is omnivore.

The facts being given to the UK public are not correct.

Very very few 'pet' dogs end up on the dinner table.

Most are reared on dog farms just like other animals we consume.

I like to see my chickens running free range in my garden, but I don't campaign against battery farming in UK.

People should not interfere with what is the norm in other countries.

In Vietnam especially it is traditional to eat dog meat, had it many time myself and it tastes good; I see nothing wrong with eating dog meat.

Could you perhaps give some locations of these dog farms that you seem to think exist here.

When you eat animals or plants you do it "intentionally" are you honestly saying if you cut the head off a live plant it would feel the same to you as cutting the head from a live animal (even a human)? If, as I suspect, you have mixed feelings the you are not treating them as "equal".

It seems you aren't familiar with how evolution works - all mammals have basically the same sets of teeth........some - not all - herbivores evolved with no canines but in omnivores they are usually there in one form or another.

Teeth rare good indicators of an animals lifestyle and to assume just because it has canine it HAS to be a predominantly meat-eating creature is an illogical jump in logic. HomoSapiens teeth indicate they are capable of eating all sorts of stuff - which helps with adaptability. - It certainly doesn't indicate that homo sapiens would attack other animals with it's teeth.

if you want to see some spectacular canines in look at a gorilla - who's diet is predominantly vegetarian, the largest animals it eats are termites and other insects.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Eleven countries around the globe still eat dog meat. They are: China, Indonesia, Korea, Mexico, Philippines, Polynesia, Taiwan, Vietnam, the Arctic and two cantons in Switzerland. https://www.facebook.com/notes/jelena-paunović/11-countries-which-still-eat-dog-meat/10151059019076930 I guess you can add Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia to that list.
Dog meat has been illegal in Taiwan for over 13 years.
However, some hicks in the south of the island know the dodgy restaurants that serve it under the table.
Most people in Taiwan would be aghast at the idea of eating what could be your pet, guide dog, drug sniffing dog, police dog or disaster rescue dog.

No, you didn't use the words "eat meat", you used the words "meat eater". I fail to see the distinction. Anyway I called you on you BS and yet you still insist.

While I agree you are entitled to your own opinion, I do not agree that you are entitled to you own facts; especially if you you try to promulgate them here. Canine teeth are not needed by non-meat eating animals.

Horses and deer do NOT have canine teeth and, as examples, do not support your above statement. On the other hand, pigs have canine teeth and are omnivores (meaning they will also eat meat) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig

Chimpanzees, which have canine teeth, will eat meat and many areas of Africa have meat-eating chimpanzees. http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMXk5Z6-IHY

Hippopotamus have very large canine teeth and eat meat. Here, a hippo eats a zebra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYVZdASgUw

Giant Panda have the necessary digestive system and have been known to eat meat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_panda

Humans are omnivores which means they will eat meat and plants. Dogs are meat; humans are meat. Humans are known to eat both as will dogs. I fail to see the distinction of dog meat as opposed to chicken, pig, beef, alligator, etc. or why they should enjoy special status. As a visitor to the Kingdom, it is not my business to pass judgment on the locals who want to eat dog. If it bothered me, I wouldn't come here. I do, however, draw the line at eating humans and would never visit a culture that allows humans to be used as food (Korowai people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korowai_people). Check any of the New Guinea forums and you won't find me moving there and then condemning their cannibalism. It's a personal choice the same way I see eating dog (or any other animal or plant) as a personal choice; so I won't be name-calling those with different food choices than mine. I suggest you develop a similar philosophy. Eleven countries around the globe still eat dog meat. They are: China, Indonesia, Korea, Mexico, Philippines, Polynesia, Taiwan, Vietnam, the Arctic and two cantons in Switzerland. https://www.facebook.com/notes/jelena-paunović/11-countries-which-still-eat-dog-meat/10151059019076930 I guess you can add Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia to that list.

I'm not going to put my value system on a country that hosts me. They are not the ones who have to change as it is their country.

If I were to suggest anything to the Thai people, it would be to regulate and control the raising, transportation, slaughter, and processing of dog meat in the interests of public safety. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with eating humanely processed dog meat.

Just so you know, I have never eaten dog and do not intend to ever eat dog so, really, I'm not your problem. Go tell Thai people to stop eating dog. Unless there are forum members who eat dog, you are wasting your time here.

You fool, stop trying to misquote me. My statement was "canines do not make you a meat eater"

Many horse and deer DO HAVE CANINE TEETH, please stop making yourself look silly. Look it up.

How much meat do you think a horse eats? Come on use your grey matter a bit!

Well done for confirming pigs, chimps, hippos etc are not carnivores ...they don't need meat.... just like me, a HUMAN with CANINES that doesn't eat meat, hence my statement "canines do not make you a meat eater".

Why are you talking about "special status" of animals used for meat? I don't eat ANY meat, what relevance is that? Do you have conversations with yourself often, seem you throw words in peoples mouths and go off on some kind of tangent? I'm not "telling" people to stop eating dog I am suggesting people stop eating all animals and their byproducts, where are you getting this from? lol

Why do you keep talking about "personal choice" you only believe in your own selfish "personal choice", not the freedom of choice for all otherwise you would not take away another living animals choices by killing i. What about a fellow animals choice to live when you don't need to kill to survive and thrive?

Your statement "humanely processed dog meat" is an oxymoron and I dislike the way you use the word processed in place of KILLED (the reality). .....Humanely killed (just for entertainment) .....OXYMORON!