Any teachers in Thailand ever move to Saudi Arabia?

Hi All,

Is it possible for a foreign teacher living here in Thailand to do the (Saudi) visa and required reports (for a teaching job) at the Saudi Embassy in Bangkok?

I was wondering if any teachers out there have had experience with the Saudi visa process and the Saudi Embassy in Thailand.

Thanks in advance,

Bottled

Maybe things have changed but I dealt with several Saudi embassies (not as a teacher) and they were pretty much standardized. Some took longer than others to process applications.

If you have a proper application, a proper invitation letter and a contract, I don't see a problem. I always used an agent.

Maybe things have changed but I dealt with several Saudi embassies (not as a teacher) and they were pretty much standardized. Some took longer than others to process applications.

If you have a proper application, a proper invitation letter and a contract, I don't see a problem. I always used an agent.

Are there agencies in Thailand that deal with processing Saudi visas??

Thanks everyone!

I agree. It is a dreadful place to work. Why not try one of the Gulf States? Oman pays a lot less than SA, but you can have a pleasant life there and get some useful experience.

Oman is beautiful, I start shaking in Riyadh immigration queues.

To the OP, if you really want to go to "Hell on Earth", your employer will arrange the visa, invitation letter etc, you will have to go to an approved visa agency. Not sure on Saudi diplomatic centres in Thailand, due to the blue diamond affair.

be warned, in Saudi you need a visa to leave the country as well as enter

Been there. Will never go to a country again where they take your passport off you and you need to get a visa (and permission from your sponsor) to leave.

The Friday English language newspaper had adverts on the back page with photographs offering rewards for information leading to the whereabouts of the men or women who had "Escaped from their Jobs". i.e. managed to get out of the country despite their employer refusing to return their passports. Some of these poor sods were only allowed to go home once a year.

Don't forget that you need an AIDS test as part of the visa process. Not sure why as you would get stoned to death if you had a relationship with anyone that you are not married too. And that includes homosexuality which is illegal. So that hot little English teacher is definitely off limits under pain of death, which, incidentally, is carried out by public execution on Friday mornings in the local square. Messy but not totally unlike what ISIS have been doing to a few ex-expats recently except they use a long sword. You also get a warm up act of a good flogging and chopping peoples hands and feet off!

If you are married, don't forget your wife cannot even ride a bicycle, let alone drive. She cannot travel in a car with a male who is not a close relative (chances are you don't have too many of those out there) but on the bright side, she can catch a "women only" bus as long as you write a letter giving her permission.

Oh and don't forget that it is illegal to take any religious symbol, other than Islam into the Kingdom. so no Bible, St Christopher, Cross on a chain as these will be confiscated on arrival. not even xmas lights.

Some people love it, some people don't.

May your God go with you.

• Like 2

I have a friend who taught in Thailand for quite a few years.

He and his Thai wife and family went to Saudi about 2 years ago. He seems very happy there and has a good salary.

The downside seems to be like living in Thailand - you have to deal with the locals and his wife is not as free - has to wear a floor-length thing - the burqa(?) when outside, but can expose her face ... She is also restricted in many other ways, but being Thai, she doesn't kick up a fuss.

Me, I wouldn't live there for the world, not with the way they treat their women, but if you are on your own, go for it ...

Oh, I should also mention - I have a pal who worked in Saudi for many years, and also many years ago, in the early 70's.

When you arrived your luggage was searched for any non-Muslim religious artefacts, and also for any alcohol or pork products. So no sneaking in a few pork pies, sausages, a few rashers of bacon etc ...

Edited by Mister Fixit

Company Visa's are normally block visas. They require you to apply in your own country.

IE Brits in the UK and US Citizens in the USA.

My Mrs is Thai and was living in the UK with me. They issued her visa from the Saudi Embassy in the UK. Maybe it was because my company sorted it, or maybe it was because she was just coming as my spouse and not working, not sure but it was done.

Are there agencies in Thailand that deal with processing Saudi visas??

Thanks everyone!

The visa process for visiting here is a nightmare. If the company you are going working for aren't sorting everything out for you before you even come, I would seriously consider what care they will take of you once you are here.

The way the company take care of you, the compound you end up living on and what facilities there are for your spare time will make the difference between you loving it, or hating it. I've been here 7 years and my wife and daughter have been here 6 1/2 years. I'm off to the UK next week on business and usually after 5 days in the UK I'm ready to come back here. So no matter what some others say, it can't be that bad can it.

Oh, I should also mention - I have a pal who worked in Saudi for many years, and also many years ago, in the early 70's.

When you arrived your luggage was searched for any non-Muslim religious artefacts, and also for any alcohol or pork products. So no sneaking in a few pork pies, sausages, a few rashers of bacon etc ...

Bit different nowadays. I've had my luggage searched the same times here as when I go to Thailand and I've been lucky to not have been searched there either.

One trick which used to work was to stick a few pairs of used underpants (preferably complete with skid marks) on the top of the things in your suitcase. For some reason they did not want to search it!

• Like 1

Living in Saudi is different strokes for different folks, as mrbojangles says he and his family are happy here.

I have been here 20 years ( yes, sad I know), and my wife 11 years. Our 9 year old son has an excellent education, and the compound we live on is fantastic to say the least. My wife is happy to wear the abaya when we are shopping as she considers it a mild inconvenience for the good life she has here, and believe it or not most of the stares etc come from Pakistani and Bangladeshi men not Saudis!

Regarding a work visa, you will need a contract and company here with a license to trade. I am almost certain that you will have to apply for visas from your country of residence. Again, your employer will know where and how. I would agree with other posters that if the company can not or will not do this for you then do not even entertain them. Good luckwai.gif

The Royal Saudi gov't is still very unhappy with the great jewelry theft and the subsequent attempts at fraud and covering it up and the deaths of some prominent Saudi citizens and diplomats.

Saudi is a pretty popular destination for those teaching English, but it lacks some of the charm and comforts that Thailand provides, consequently there are a lot of people who have taught in both and there is a fair number of people in the ME who holiday in Thailand.

Pattaya and Phuket seems to have more appeal than Riyad and Mecca.

• Like 1

The Royal Saudi gov't is still very unhappy with the great jewelry theft and the subsequent attempts at fraud and covering it up and the deaths of some prominent Saudi citizens and diplomats.

Saudi is a pretty popular destination for those teaching English, but it lacks some of the charm and comforts that Thailand provides, consequently there are a lot of people who have taught in both and there is a fair number of people in the ME who holiday in Thailand.

Pattaya and Phuket seems to have more appeal than Riyad and Mecca.

Unless you are part of the Gay community which has infiltrated TEFL for whom The MENA region is a paradise. It's like being a paid sex tourist.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...