How to Deal with a Jerk as a Landlord?

I will not name any names here but im having issues with my landlord (IRISH FARANG), its obvious he has personnal issues towards me and he is the biggest I ever met. He does not respect the contract that was signed between me and him... EX: contract states rent due on the 28th of every month but not later then the end of the month... So, today I want to pay rent & he had a fit, telling me rent is due on the 28th, i know its due on the 28th but the contract states i have until end of month... This is the second time & both times he has been verbally aggressive towards me & even try to intimidate me with banging on the table or getting up and ready to fight. How to deal with this kind of human being? he will always be right no matter what, cant win with this guy...

BTW, im a frequent visitor on Thaivisa but never signed for an account but I had to sign up today to get this off my chest and share it with people on here. I also like to state, he is just an agent renting condos out.

thx for reading.

Edited by stephanschalko

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"he is just an agent renting condos out"

I wonder if he has a work permit.

I doubt he has a working permit;) but im not a snake, thats why im not naming any names. He even has a website stating he is renting them out and for the past 7 years or so... but who am I to judge if he does or not... but if he does not have a working permit and he is being such a j e r k, he his walking on thin line... one day he will piss off the wrong person & he will be reported.

• Like 1

OP, in reality he has done nothing illegal to you besides being rude.

So grow a pair of balls, and just ignore him or pack your bags and move.

No point making ultimatums on Thai Visa, if you want to make one, make one to his face.

Most likely you will not get your 1 month deposit, so either get over it, or do not pay rent and move out 1-2 weeks later.

Legally he can not kick you out and if he enters the premises or locks you out, you can call the police and have him arrested.

thx for your input, not making ultimatum just want feedback, thats why these kind of forums exist, correct? Well, I could tell you its more then just being rude, you could add defamation to the list and much more.... he granished my reputation with his lies & i could tell you from experience he loves to talk about other people in a bad way... not a very good practice if you ask me. We already had a big argument today, i was waiting for him to make the first swing but did not happen;) its unfortunate even farangs treating farangs like shit even when you put food on there table. you know what they say, you dont bite the hand from the one who feeds you & I straight out told him that today and arrogant like he is, he did not give a shit.

• Like 1

Move on.

I will not move on until he forks back the 1 month deposit for the condo... if he does not give me the deposit so I could GTFO by this weekend, I will stay until the end of November without paying Novembers rent... Easy, right?

Good luck with that...

Don't pay him and just move out. If this guy is such an <deleted> as he appears to be then there's no way he's going to pay you that deposit back anyway.

If someone makes an aggressive move and looks like they're about to attack you I find there's two options :

1 - Do nothing and wait to see if he punches you and react accordingly

2 - Take immediate action and knock him out - this is quite permissable as he's attacking you but you should bear in mind that he might beat you to a pulp

In this case he's 'putting on a show' like a gorilla beating his chest (the desk) to let the others know he's in charge.

If you can take a punch or two maybe have a friend film you from outside, then go in there and make him explode in rage. At this stage you own him.

• Like 2

OP - despite some of the wise - cracker statements ... you are in the right ... and I would personally do anything to keep my premises ... Thai entry doors usually have a flange - where the landlord can attach a big lock - you don't have to the key to it and they can lock you out... Place your own BIG LOCK in it -- so he cannot do that... Tesco and other places also sell a cone like covering for your door knob lock - with a big lock barring its removal ... Take one of these actions and he cannot easily lock you out... Also - remove your valuable items and find a place to store them ...

Next go to where you pay your rent in cash ... turn on you video cam in your phone and demand to make payment for this months rent... show the money on camera -- show the date with a calendar page ... speak slowly and calmly - recite the day / time of your effort to pay rent... give your phone number ... be polite

If you are refused by him or his agent to accept rent WITH RECEIPT - you have it on video - date - time stamped... then stay in your apartment as long as you wish...

Makes plans to move out to another place - secure the new place with a partial prepayment - with written receipt... Stay in your current place until you have gotten your money's worth -- clean up ...take copious photos - date and time stamped ... photos of the electric meter - start - stop at all times is always advisable ...

Make sure he knows of your taking photos of everything . And if he does an encounter with you and become near violent -- video him and make it clear that you are video recording him.

Then move when you are ready -- by moving in stages at night - little by little ...

Then when you feel you have proper exchange of value -- Leave -- leaving the extra locks on the door... The landlord will have to have them cut off to gain entry .. and expense to him ...

Fight Fire with Fire

• Like 1

OP - despite some of the wise - cracker statements ... you are in the right ... and I would personally do anything to keep my premises ... Thai entry doors usually have a flange - where the landlord can attach a big lock - you don't have to the key to it and they can lock you out... Place your own BIG LOCK in it -- so he cannot do that... Tesco and other places also sell a cone like covering for your door knob lock - with a big lock barring its removal ... Take one of these actions and he cannot easily lock you out... Also - remove your valuable items and find a place to store them ...

Next go to where you pay your rent in cash ... turn on you video cam in your phone and demand to make payment for this months rent... show the money on camera -- show the date with a calendar page ... speak slowly and calmly - recite the day / time of your effort to pay rent... give your phone number ... be polite

If you are refused by him or his agent to accept rent WITH RECEIPT - you have it on video - date - time stamped... then stay in your apartment as long as you wish...

Makes plans to move out to another place - secure the new place with a partial prepayment - with written receipt... Stay in your current place until you have gotten your money's worth -- clean up ...take copious photos - date and time stamped ... photos of the electric meter - start - stop at all times is always advisable ...

Make sure he knows of your taking photos of everything . And if he does an encounter with you and become near violent -- video him and make it clear that you are video recording him.

Then move when you are ready -- by moving in stages at night - little by little ...

Then when you feel you have proper exchange of value -- Leave -- leaving the extra locks on the door... The landlord will have to have them cut off to gain entry .. and expense to him ...

Fight Fire with Fire

Great advice on how to get arrested.

Were you not aware that taking photo's in someone else's property without owners approval is illegal?

If landlord says to put camera away, and OP refused, it is breach of privacy and can easily be also translated into trespassing

Now, legally landlord can not lock out tenant without court order even more so when deposit has not been lived out.

BY placing lock on the door and moving out, OP would once again breach the law and would be liable for all costs involved in removing it.

If i was landlord, i would not even bother to remove it, but simply bill OP for the rent and will legally be entitled to full amount.

Really puzzles me why people give advice without knowing the law.

Fight Fire with Fire

Now thats a plan;) yes, you are right, we must fight fire with fire! thx for the input.

Does he own the property, or is he an agent / sub let?

If he isn't the owner, find out who is and deal direct.

He is an agent, I already stated that above. As for the owner, I already emailed this individual, still waiting for a reply.

no need to reply to this thread anymore people, I got all the info i needed, i dont want to come accross a drama queen like someone stated earlier but 500.00US dollars his not a small amount & I will not give this prick 1 penny from it! money his hard to come by these days.

Most people just move, with no forwarding address, and no notice, it's the Thai way.

Very few expect their deposit back. That's why they only give 1 month.

It's just your OP is one in a series of 'weak' behaviour posts,

The one about the teaching assistant who didn't dare quit,

The one about the guy that lets his gf have all his documents,

Not to mention the guy who doesn't like his photo taken,

Seems like a never ending string of complaints from people who just need to learn how to walk away.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Does he own the property, or is he an agent / sub let?

If he isn't the owner, find out who is and deal direct.

If the owner found out what was being done in his name he probably wouldn't be very happy about the situation.

It's a similar scenario with the guy who posted recently about the management stealing his electricity bill money. Once the owner was informed he stepped in and paid the bill himself so he didn't lose a valuable tennant who could have taken many months to replace.

• Like 1

Am I missing something here?

If you made an agreement either verbally or written that the rent was due on the 28th why would you not keep to it?

If he is a property manager he probably does monthly returns to his owners and wants the rent paid before the end of the monthso he can deduct his fees and pay the owners. All normal business practice, but it is better if you handle your tenants in a

polite professional manner.

Fight Fire with Fire

Great advice on how to get arrested.

Were you not aware that taking photo's in someone else's property without owners approval is illegal?

If landlord says to put camera away, and OP refused, it is breach of privacy and can easily be also translated into trespassing

Now, legally landlord can not lock out tenant without court order even more so when deposit has not been lived out.

BY placing lock on the door and moving out, OP would once again breach the law and would be liable for all costs involved in removing it.

If i was landlord, i would not even bother to remove it, but simply bill OP for the rent and will legally be entitled to full amount.

Really puzzles me why people give advice without knowing the law.

you do realise the law and reality are two different things especially in Thailand dont you?

• Like 1