Hankering for the "good ol' days"?

Cypress Hill

Not bothered about sex (don't do bars or alcohol),

Prices haven't gone up that much in the last 5 years, as far as I can see.

Would like a democratic government.

You have to study the som tam index. It's nearly doubled in the last five years.

About 6 years ago a burger from the Mac costed 20 baht, i just saw the price of it and it was 28 now. That's 40% more.

My salary didn't go up 40% in 6 years and also then i got much more bath for the euro.

Bad luck you, my index linked pension nearly doubled in the last 6 years, I'm $$$$$ in!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CH welcome back.... been on holiday ?....making a movie ?....just come off suspension ?

Good to have you back.... my favorite member of the ALBC thumbsup.gif

xsleep.png.pagespeed.ic.vIsRP_3VHZ.png

What qualifications does it take to become a member of the ALBC?

Speaking of which ... what does the ALBC stand for?

Remember, if you don't stand for something ... you'll fall for anything.

Dunno

Don't care

You can get cheap flights from Europe now, its the hotels that are more expensive.

I used to stay at Chaweng Gardens, it was 900 per night if you stayed for more than a week. Supposedly it is 1800 nowadays. They built a pool and updated the rooms. The wooden shacks we stayed in are gone.

I still cant get my head around a beach hotel having a pool. Id rather swim in the sea than in a chlorinated pool.

• Like 1

I remember i liked to drink Blue Ice beer about 8 years ago, 4 big bottles for 100 baht from the 711. Chang was around 32 baht then.

A big deep fried seabass was 150 baht in a nice open air restaurant with live music. Costs double that now for a small one.

Also prawns are much more expensive now.

On Samui a whole lobster on the beach in a restaurant for 500 baht, also a bungalow with aircon for 500 on the beach.

Later prices on samui went up very fast. i remember coral cove resort on chaweng costed 1800 baht a night for a gardenview bungalow, costs double now. This was when the tsunami came. Sandy beach resort costed then 1300 for a small bungalow with breakfast.

20 years ago i paid 100 baht for a bungalow made of natural materials and a fan (only electricity at night) on phi phi island. Then there was only 1 resort with real bungalows made of stone. At night there was a huge generator running to supply power for the island, there were loads of monkeys and also loads of small red lobsters/crabs.

But prices have gone up fast last years and the quality went down. Also foodportions are very small now, kao pad kung comes with 2-3 small prawns these days.

I got married 8 years ago,honeymoon in Samui, paid about 3500B a night for samui mountain village ( great place) looked yesterday at the prices and..............exactly the same as 8 years ago

You have to study the som tam index. It's nearly doubled in the last five years.

About 6 years ago a burger from the Mac costed 20 baht, i just saw the price of it and it was 28 now. That's 40% more.

My salary didn't go up 40% in 6 years and also then i got much more bath for the euro.

Bad luck you, my index linked pension nearly doubled in the last 6 years, I'm $$$$$ in!

what index is it linked to?

Prices have gone up in general all over the World, but salaries in Thailand have virtually been pegged since 1997.

I remember you could get a quality khaopat cooked in a small shop in BKK for 10 baht and gasoline was 8 or 9 baht a litre not gasohol real unleaded.

Prices have gone up in general all over the World, but salaries in Thailand have virtually been pegged since 1997.

I remember you could get a quality khaopat cooked in a small shop in BKK for 10 baht and gasoline was 8 or 9 baht a litre not gasohol real unleaded.

construction wages in isaan have doubled

• Like 1

construction wages in isaan have doubled

I have no idea but in BKK or Pattaya now all the construction labourers seem to be Cambodian or Burmese and the gas jockeys the same also.

I got married 8 years ago,honeymoon in Samui, paid about 3500B a night for samui mountain village ( great place) looked yesterday at the prices and..............exactly the same as 8 years ago

...note to self. Always check the 'last updated' date on a website before making a booking.

Edited by NanLaew

You can get cheap flights from Europe now, its the hotels that are more expensive.

My flights from the UK have pretty much stayed the same over the past 20 years.

Really? My RT flights from east coast USA (10--14 years ago ) used to be as low as $500 USD , lowest I can get now is maybe $900 USD.

Thank goodness the prices haven't gone up much. Taxi fares haven't been raised since 1998. Glad to see the drivers will have a chance to make a living, but of course now a lot of people won't be able to afford to take a taxi.

As for democratic government, I'm from the U.S. so of course we haven't seen one of those in quite a long time. I remember a comment somebody made back when Thanom was still Prime Minister, "The Thais have managed to save more freedom by accident than we have with all our safeguards."

• Like 1

Have to agree, PPP--purchasing power parity--is the best way to compare. Since 2007, the price of noodle soup has increased about 30% at the same soup stand, dim sum has increased about 20% at the same restaurant, gas has increased about 18% at the same station, a full Western breakfast has increased about 25% at the same restaurant, rent and utilities have increased about 13% at the same house, and the exchange rate for USD has decreased about 10%. Of course, that is only from my perspective. Perhaps some of you are faring better, but I doubt it.

Well, if you live off pink slime, that may be a good comparison; However, try the basics--rent, utilities, gas, meat, veggies, bread or rice.

Have to agree, PPP--purchasing power parity--is the best way to compare. Since 2007, the price of noodle soup has increased about 30% at the same soup stand, dim sum has increased about 20% at the same restaurant, gas has increased about 18% at the same station, a full Western breakfast has increased about 25% at the same restaurant, rent and utilities have increased about 13% at the same house, and the exchange rate for USD has decreased about 10%. Of course, that is only from my perspective. Perhaps some of you are faring better, but I doubt it.

In 2003 the price of pork was 80 baht/kilo and the the exchange rate was 40/USD.

In 2013 the price of pork was 120 baht/kilo and the exchange rate was 30/USD.

In baht, pork increased 50% over this ten year period.

In dollars, however, pork increased 100% over this ten year period.

(2003 USD cost = $2.00/kilo; 2013 USD cost = $4.00/kilo)

I was in a Soi cowboy bar with a visiting Aussie the other night. 160 baht for a small glass of soda water was way over the top.

I would like Togo back to 80's levels if I went with it, so became 20 again !

I was here in the mid-80's, and have pretty much lived here since the late 90's.

I think that from 1985 when I first stepped off the QANTAS flight as a wide-eyed 20 year old, Thailand has become a much wealthier country, with costings/prices etc rising in proportion (I believe Thailand is fast approaching the USD10,000 GDP per-capita level, which would make it a developed country).

Obviously I am now 30 years older, the bar-scene-thing has become a bit passe for me, for many years now. Although on my infrequent forays into that scene, I have noticed that many of the girls don't seem to have the innocence & sweetness that they once did (maybe I've just become a grumpy old manxangry.png.pagespeed.ic.Cla6z9sEn6.png).

I was here in the mid-80's, and have pretty much lived here since the late 90's.

I think that from 1985 when I first stepped off the QANTAS flight as a wide-eyed 20 year old, Thailand has become a much wealthier country, with costings/prices etc rising in proportion (I believe Thailand is fast approaching the USD10,000 GDP per-capita level, which would make it a developed country).

Obviously I am now 30 years older, the bar-scene-thing has become a bit passe for me, for many years now. Although on my infrequent forays into that scene, I have noticed that many of the girls don't seem to have the innocence & sweetness that they once did (maybe I've just become a grumpy old manxangry.png.pagespeed.ic.Cla6z9sEn6.png).

Probably a grumpy old man.. of course when your older and less atrractive you dont get free stuff the girls see you as a customer they have to satisfy. Not a something they can get some pleasure from too. Do you really believe that you have the same charm you had when your 20 ?

Edited by robblok

I think you meant ..overweight ,burnt out, unwanted elsewhere , unattractive , usually financially quite poor and quite politically incorrect sex starved barflies smile.png

Or is it the much younger cheap , ,un kept , utopia and cheap drug seeking , ultra poor , sandal wearing with 3 shorts , 3 shirts and a bong in a dirty backpack, beach-combing , bar fly you meant ?

Deliberately avoided the age aspect because it's irrelevant.

Your descriptions are based on stereotypes

Most of my pals are health and exercise nuts, no bars or alcohol.

You must be mixing with the wrong people!

Not so sure about that...I'm sitting at the breakfast buffet at the moment here in Pattaya and observe a sea of fat old farts and cows.....? I remember when beer was cheap and the ladies cheaper.....? Hang on, gents, it will only get worse. Time for short arms and deep pockets, IMHO.?

I think you meant ..overweight ,burnt out, unwanted elsewhere , unattractive , usually financially quite poor and quite politically incorrect sex starved barflies smile.png

Or is it the much younger cheap , ,un kept , utopia and cheap drug seeking , ultra poor , sandal wearing with 3 shorts , 3 shirts and a bong in a dirty backpack, beach-combing , bar fly you meant ?

Not so sure about that...I'm sitting at the breakfast buffet at the moment here in Pattaya and observe a sea of fat old farts and cows.....? I remember when beer was cheap and the ladies cheaper.....? Hang on, gents, it will only get worse. Time for short arms and deep pockets, IMHO.?

Your so lucky, in the almost nine years I have been here in Thailand, I have only ever came across one Westerner who does not drink, and who I am still in touch with, there are also none that take any exercise apart from bending their elbows.

How I wish there was just one non drinking friend living locally, there were three really heavy drinkers, and they are now dead. I suppose I am lucky that although all my local friends like a drink, I never see them drunk.

I do. I hanker for the pre-internet, pre-TV (thaivisa) days when things were a LOT cheaper, the locals were less aggressive and there were fewer whingers. It was a cool place to be in the '90s and much less regulated. But if anyone thinks the natives have more money in their pockets or have become more sophisticated because wages and currency went up, think again, things are more expensive for everybody. And it'll be a LOONNNGG time before this place shakes off the shackles of being the sexy armpit of SEA, because that's what it is. If the already illegal prostitution were banned tomorrow, there would be massive loss of revenue and very unhappy locals right across the board.

• Like 1

Probably a grumpy old man.. of course when your older and less atrractive you dont get free stuff the girls see you as a customer they have to satisfy. Not a something they can get some pleasure from too. Do you really believe that you have the same charm you had when your 20 ?

I had no charm when I was 20, I am 50 in January and still have none. (Never did, and still don't get free stuff from the girls, I'm very fair-minded in that regard, in fact, they are more likely to get free stuff from me!).

My flights from the UK have pretty much stayed the same over the past 20 years.

What?????? Are you really sure about that?

I can confirm that. In the 80's you could get a flight from London for around 500 quid, about the same nowadays. One of my friends came on Emirates a few years ago for 450 quidclap2.gif , he came in December also, but the thing was that he booked the flight the previous April, booking as far in advance as possible really is the thing, wherever you are going.