Where to buy a battery separator in Thailand?

SOMeTOM

Possibly in Bangkok or Pattaya.

This is a simple intelligent device that you can use when you have 2 batteries on your motorcycle and decides by itself which battery needs to be charged/used.

I have been to few local dealers, also the main brands, but their mechanics hardly can get over changing a tire and have absolutely no clue of what this is, and after been explained they don't know of where to get one.

I don't want to order it from abroad as it might get stung by some silly duty tax that is higher than the cost of the item itself.....

Thanks.

post-193352-0-05489200-1414752471_thumb.

nice. never seen it but there is a big electronics place around china town bangkok maybe you can find one.

still why one needs two batteries on a single bike?

especially in thailand with very less cold mornings.

Edited by ll2

Hi II2,

because sometime it happened that my battery was flat or just failed for some reason and having a spare one will give me the time to fix the one having issues at my own peace, plus i do run some extra electronics on it and strong headlights.

Being in the middle of nowhere without a battery might be a challenging task laugh.png

Wouldn't a relay requires additional protection, as to prevent EMF back current?

Here is a brief description of a BS (from http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-chargers/battery-separator-auxiliary-batteries-200-amps.html)

Description
Charging multiple battery banks without use of diode isolators dictates that the batteries be connected only whenever a charge voltage is present so that they may be charged simultaneously, then disconnected or "isolated" when in use to allow for selective discharge and avoid having the secondary or standby battery drain into the primary battery.

Battery Seperators perform this function automatically, acting as a "smart" switch to connect independent battery banks only when a charging voltage is present. Otherwise, they are isolated, and discharge between banks is prevented.

The traditional rugged and reliable diode isolator can also be used for this function (see Battery Isolators above), as it also maintains isolation between banks and allows charging from multiple sources. However, one drawback is inefficiency when voltage is lost as current passes through the diodes, resulting in undercharge if the charging source does not compensate for the voltage drop.

The Battery Separators causes no voltage drop in the charging system, while the multiple batteries are charged as a single bank whenever a charging source of approximately 13.2 VDC or greater is present.

When the alternator or charger is off or a large load causes the voltage to drop below the disconnect point the unit breaks the common tie between the banks. This allows selective battery discharge and prevents "dumping" of a higher-charged bank into a lower-charged bank. The unit may also be activated to connect other batteries through the key starter or a manual switch to provide an added "boost" from the secondary battery whenever the starter is engaged and the unit senses there is sufficient voltage in that battery to provide an assist.

For systems with more than two banks, a seperator must be installed for each additional bank to provide the same seperation and connection as described above.

• Like 1

there is a big electronics place around china town bangkok

It must to be the Ban Mo street's market, just next to the Phahurat indian street's market (this must to be the place where all our friends tailors get their fabrics :D )......which happens to be next to a road full of people selling tires, i was there recently, and if i remember it right, there is also a road specialized in selling (legal)weapons connecting to those places, it's a never ending connecting trail....

A relay is just a remote switch.

Two terminals used for signal current - to open and close the relay.

Two terminals used for the charging current.

Signal terminals connected to a key on circuit.

Charging terminals connected to charge circuit on one side and to spare battery on the other.

Turn on key - switch closes - charging current goes to spare battery.

Turn key off - switch open - no current draw allowed.

Wow, I have never heard of such a device but like it a lot.

My Tricity has no kick starter (stupid Yamaha) so this would be handy on a long road trip to oblivion.

Wait...$160 for the 200 amp unit is pricey.

I guess I will stick to jumper cables and pray for another bike to come along for now.

Let us know if you find it in Thailand for future reference.

Hi II2,

because sometime it happened that my battery was flat or just failed for some reason and having a spare one will give me the time to fix the one having issues at my own peace, plus i do run some extra electronics on it and strong headlights.

Being in the middle of nowhere without a battery might be a challenging task laugh.png

instead of two batteries, you can buy an expensive recognized quality brand like 'varta' or 'yuasa' with higher capacity. sure they handle all sorts of extra gadgets.

I never had battery problems in Thailand with my new bikes.

I mean battery is something heavy and not sure where you can put it on especially modern packed motorcycles with no space.

Edited by ll2

A relay is just a remote switch.

Two terminals used for signal current - to open and close the relay.

Two terminals used for the charging current.

Signal terminals connected to a key on circuit.

Charging terminals connected to charge circuit on one side and to spare battery on the other.

Turn on key - switch closes - charging current goes to spare battery.

Turn key off - switch open - no current draw allowed.

Yes i also have this in one of my cars but when the ignition is on then the battery's are connected so they both get charged. If one happens to be totally empty and the other one is full a current will flow from the full one to the empty one when the ignition is turned on.

When the relay is closed and the engine is running then both battery's get charged, not only 1 because they are connected.

Got an answer already, apparently they don't have it right now and don't even know how much does it cost, it seems that next week they will enquire with their supplier in the Netherlands.....ouch

Got an answer already, apparently they don't have it right now and don't even know how much does it cost, it seems that next week they will enquire with their supplier in the Netherlands.....ouch

Well you probably can order it in the netherlands, this thing is brand new developed and was int he newspaper last week that's how i knew about it. Maybe a dutch member can bring it for you but you have to find one.

Vetus is a quality brand for marine, they give many years warranty. If you have an expensive bike/car then better buy something from a quality brand.

Also it would be wise to protect your 2nd battery against discharging too far because that might damage it.

• Like 1

In my experience a splitter is used for dual usage systems, i.e. Cranking and Leisure,or Cranking and Winching and these splitters are designed to do just that. If you are using either or both batteries to crank, I am not sure how that will work.

Unless the battery is being discharged when the engine is off, I would have thought you would be better off investing in a high quality battery. I don't know whether Optima make batteries for bikes, but this dry cell battery has a huge amount of cranking amps for it's size and is virtually indestructible...3 times the price though.

If you are having trouble starting with a good battery, I would check for leakage current and park in the shade, as heat has a major influence on cranking amps.

Ok i got my answer, they don't have that model but another one that cost more than the price i am willing to sell my motorcycle for, so, i guess i will think of something else, maybe just a self made switch that will cost no more than 100 times less than the quality ones...200Bahts against 20.000B biggrin.png

Hi II2,

Som Tom,

If you are having early battery failing issues or flat batteries from long garage times, have you ever considered investing in a CTEK battery charger?

When you battery charge level drops (the level is different depending on what battery type you have) the battery will begin to sulfate at the cells reducing your batteries storage capacity.. Also, if you put high loads on batteries of a low charge this can also damage the battery. If you have had multiple early battery failures you may also want to ensure you do not have an intermittent regulator on your alternator as a bad alternator can kill a battery and vice versa.

CTEK have a shop in Sukhumvit Soi 49. PM me if you would like the details.