international driving permit

taximan1954

law yes, reality probably not, if u have the uk licence with you thats all they "might" ask for.

If you are in the Uk its just £5 so id get it anyway.

Edited by kannot

I rented a car last year, before purchasing my own car, and obtaining my Thai driving licence, and the rental company wanted the IDP.

Got it from the post Office only a fiver, and its the IDP1926 for here.

International rental companies, e.g. Hertz, Avis, etc. may well insist on it. No driving licence = no valid insurance. No name local outfits will not be bothered.

With regards to being stopped by the police, a significant number of Isaan police will not be familiar with international licences and you could hand them a video rental membership card from the early 80s and they wouldn't know the difference. There are some wised-up ones though.

If you are in Thailand now, it is too late to get an international. If you are in the UK, you may have time if you go to a major post office. They are £5.50.

Edited by Briggsy

Alternatively if your already in Thailand, go to your nearest Driving Centre and get a Thai driving licence.

You don't have to take the full test because you hold a UK licence, just a sight, co-ordinate test and colour blindness test, although at some centres you may also have to watch a video. Very cheap and easy to obtain.

law yes, reality probably not, if u have the uk licence with you thats all they "might" ask for.

If you are in the Uk its just £5 so id get it anyway.

Not required by law in Thailand, provided your home license has a photo on it a(and is in English, but that seems a given here).

• Like 2

International rental companies, e.g. Hertz, Avis, etc. may well insist on it. No driving licence = no valid insurance. No name local outfits will not be bothered.

With regards to being stopped by the police, a significant number of Isaan police will not be familiar with international licences and you could hand them a video rental membership card from the early 80s and they wouldn't know the difference. There are some wised-up ones though.

If you are in Thailand now, it is too late to get an international. If you are in the UK, you may have time if you go to a major post office. They are £5.50.

Correct, no driving license is no valid insurance. But since the OP has a driving license that really has nothing to do with his situation.

None of the international companies ask for it, since they know it is not required.

• Like 1

Correct, no driving license is no valid insurance. But since the OP has a driving license that really has nothing to do with his situation.

None of the international companies ask for it, since they know it is not required.

The British Govt and the AA are saying an IDP in conjunction with your UK licence is required to drive in Thailand.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

Why do you think differently?

The British Govt and the AA are saying an IDP in conjunction with your UK licence is required to drive in Thailand.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

Why do you think differently?

Yes, they sell them.

Many times we have had this discussion here on TVF, and many times the applicable law has been quoted. I'm not going into this for the upteenth time.

It is NOT required by law.

• Like 1

One of the few sites with this information correct is http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/information/transport/driving-licences/.

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials. Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

• Like 2

Reading the link from stevenl (thank you steve)thumbsup.gif i noticed it says driving license with picture. As I am a geriatric and my license is still the old U.K. one, made from papyrus parchment, I always carry an International one which is issued under my Saudi license.

I noticed from posters the cost in UK is five pounds!! wow am I being ripped off here!! I pay 200 riyals ( 30 pounds plus ) bummer.facepalm.gif

Alternatively if your already in Thailand, go to your nearest Driving Centre and get a Thai driving licence.

You don't have to take the full test because you hold a UK licence, just a sight, co-ordinate test and colour blindness test, although at some centres you may also have to watch a video. Very cheap and easy to obtain.

Except that you may need a Drs letter saying that you are alive. about 100baht from any doctor. I was asleep when an agent got mine. He actually asked me if I was alive ?

Here is the opinion of THE AA in the UK http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html I would get an IDP ... as I did before coming here to retire. Made getting the Thai license easy ...am now on my 2nd 5Year one.

I'm pretty sure that using Stevens reference will be fine ... BUT the AA don't exactly say that ... unless I mis-understand

Yes, AA is selling them.

• Like 1

Reading the link from stevenl (thank you steve)thumbsup.gif i noticed it says driving license with picture. As I am a geriatric and my license is still the old U.K. one, made from papyrus parchment, I always carry an International one which is issued under my Saudi license.

I noticed from posters the cost in UK is five pounds!! wow am I being ripped off here!! I pay 200 riyals ( 30 pounds plus ) bummer.facepalm.gif

Yes, correct, you need an IDP since your UK license does not have a photo.

• Like 2

I get one before I come to Thailand.I've been pulled over by police and they have never asked for it.I'm thinking the police could

Care less about the IDP.

It's pretty simply to explain because maybe you don't need to have one, in some circumstances or coming from some countries you do need an IDP.

This topic has been done to death here over and over.

According to the law if your licence is in English, has a photo and was issued by one of the countries listed in post #13 above, you do not need an IDP.

HOWEVER some police men don't know this or are looking for tea money, so for a small investment of £5.50 (if in the uk) it MIGHT save you some time and inconvenience. Up to you.

• Like 1