Where to buy good coffee in Nakhon Phanom?

Ombra

Greetings Ombra...

(Sorry folks, for the longish treatise. I'll try to make any following ones shorter.)

I'm new to this forum, having come across it by accident. However, I've been associated with Thailand for over four decades, first arriving in NKP w/ my American wife during the VN war era. That was back when you couldn't get a good slice of toast (as opposed to Styrofoam), let alone a decent cuppa. Since then, things have definitely improved.

OK, concerning decent coffee, I used to bring my own from the States (Swedish Gevalia dark-roast premium). If I ran out, it was catch as catch can. The only way I can stomach the instant stuff is to concoct it like the Thai do.

Visiting the "Doi Thai" coffee shop at the front side of Makro earlier this year (at the left of the main entrance), I tried a cup of their ground coffee. It seemed worth a go, so I had them grind a half-kilo bag (215 Baht), It tasted pretty good, and fairly strong; yet, a bit flat in the flavor area.

Today, I ran out again of the Gevalia I had brought from home, so went into Makro this time and found some of the previously-mentioned "Café Solé." It too comes in a half-kilo bag at 160 Baht. (Makro shelf row #22)

I found it surprisingly rich-flavored, tasty, and somewhat mild, yet strong enough for my liking.

I'm a longtime strong black coffee connoisseur. And, I found the "Café Solé" much better than anything else I've tried here so far... medium-strongish, yet not bitter.

--

Chopstik

• Like 1

Thank you for this information, Chopstick. Your message confirms what others have said, which is that Makro sells some good coffee. What with the prospect of buying from one of the websites recommended and of shopping in Laos, I have no need to worry about whether I am going to enjoy a nice cup of coffee in the morning.

Thank you for this information, Chopstick. Your message confirms what others have said, which is that Makro sells some good coffee. What with the prospect of buying from one of the websites recommended and of shopping in Laos, I have no need to worry about whether I am going to enjoy a nice cup of coffee in the morning.

No problem, I'd say, go for the most common denominator first (which ever is less hassle).

I just found a shop in BKK that has vietnamese coffee and they ship via the postal service

CafeVina .com

Is this the correct website address, Dinger? I've just looked at it and it says that the domain name is for sale. It doesn't look like a retailer. Thanks

Ombra, I would not buy Vietnamese products. Look for the whole beans from Laos. Alone the color, form and size of the beans will tell you what they are worth or not. The market in NK has these first class beans as does (did?) the border market in Ubon province.

Just dont buy anything from Vietnam or ground. The whole beans remove the danger of mixing in of inferior beans, soy beans and all the other junk.

Maybe during your next walk on the riverside you have time to check the place out closely.

Thank you for the advice, Mike2011. Now that I don't have to hurry to work in the morning I'm going to start using beans as soon as I have finished the supply of ground coffee which I brought from BKK. I would like to visit Laos, but in the past couple of weeks, I've passed the driving test (thanks to information on TV) and I've obtained a retirement visa, and I'd like to take a break from government offices for a while. I saw here on TV that it is necessary to go to Immigration before leaving the country, although it didn't sound at all difficult.

I've passed the driving test (thanks to information on TV)

There's a 'test'? Who knew, I thought you just showed up laughed at the pretty lights and the numbnuts trying to hit a brake peddle!

...I know that was facetious, but not meant in a bad way, just hopefully humorous. Glad you're settling in

Edited by GinBoy2