Dog Meat Trade in Thailand Is Under Pressure and May Be Banned

Lite Beer

I find it interesting that you live in the 'boondocks' of Buriram and have recently seen the dog catcher trucks operating in your area. I too live in the Buriram boondocks, so please next time you seen one of these vehicles, instead of confronting the driver could you direct him to my place. You see these vehicles haven't operated here for over two years now, and my village is over-run with unwanted, diseased, dirty, dangerous dogs. Thank you.

Or you could get off your 4rse, dip into your Chang money, and help set up a neutering program, for the benefit of villagers AND the dog population. But you won't will you. You'll just spout bile on this forum. Well done.

Pigs are not smarter than dogs. There is no test to confirm this. One can easily say that dogs are smarter than pigs. A tree is smarter than a rock.

A friend of mine was brought up on a farm. He had two dogs and they took in a piglet. On day one, the piglet watched the dogs command of sit then were given a food treat.

On day two when he said sit, the two dogs and the pig sat and waiting for their treat. The pig had figured out sitting would result in food.

The pig is the 6th smartest animal:

http://www.innovateus.net/innopedia/what-are-top-10-smartest-animals

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can outlaw the eating of dogs but they will never stop it. The question ought to be; why the hell should they? Here they have a golden opportunity to rid the country of this verminous infestation of soi dogs, and all we get is the bleeding heart brigade screaming how inhuman it is.

While I would have no qualms about the wretched creatures being burned alive by the truck load, I realize that the actual treatment may be an issue for some, and being part of a regulated meat trade means they would be afforded the same protection as other animals enroute to the plate.

The meat is murder brigade should remember that humans by nature are omnivores and therefore vegetarianism is unnatural, which, coincidentally, so are dogs.

Regards G

• Like 1

They can outlaw the eating of dogs but they will never stop it. The question ought to be; why the hell should they? Here they have a golden opportunity to rid the country of this verminous infestation of soi dogs, and all we get is the bleeding heart brigade screaming how inhuman it is.

While I would have no qualms about the wretched creatures being burned alive by the truck load, I realize that the actual treatment may be an issue for some, and being part of a regulated meat trade means they would be afforded the same protection as other animals enroute to the plate.

The meat is murder brigade should remember that humans by nature are omnivores and therefore vegetarianism is unnatural, which, coincidentally, so are dogs.

Regards G

Your savagery and inhumanity is on display for all to see. By the way, the soi dogs are almost certainly not the dogs sourced for the meat trade. As other posters have made abundantly clear, Thai people would not endorse collection of these dogs to supply the lovers of canine flesh. Such dogs would also be too scrawny for human consumption.

• Like 1

Regards G

Your savagery and inhumanity is on display for all to see. By the way, the soi dogs are almost certainly not the dogs sourced for the meat trade. As other posters have made abundantly clear, Thai people would not endorse collection of these dogs to supply the lovers of canine flesh. Such dogs would also be too scrawny for human consumption.

And where exactly do the 10s of thousands of dogs come from?

You obviously don't know Thais

A neighbour was pressed by his Chiang Rai wife to attend an uncle's funeral some years back. He told me he was sickened and surprised to see one of the family call one of the family dogs and casually slit it's throat to throw on the barbecue. He hasn't been back since. Barbarians!bah.gif

Its a cultural difference no different from them probably being disgusted that you eat beef.

It is meat and that is all there is to it.

Do you not find it equally disturbing that everything that you like to feast on has to lose its life to feed you?

No I am not a veggie, I am a meat lover, I just don't sit in judgement of others.

I remember a stir a few years ago in Australia where do googers, probably veggies were up in arms because people were eating rabbits and they were suppose to be pets. They wanted the consumption of rabbits banned and made ilegal. They didn't eat it so it was wrong. I don't eat seafood so maybe that should be banned as I have pet fish.

Always easy to condemn others for what you don't do or like yourself Chooka. You make the point well that many do just that.

Some Aussies eat those lovely Kangaroos and who knows what else.

Some Belgies scoff horses.

Some Brits like hares, rabbits, game birds.

Some Germans eat wild boar.

Some South Africans eat all sorts of lovely animals we see in zoos.

But, dogs, man's best friend. gets people riled.

South Korean's, eat more dog meat than Thailand. I've seen videos of family picnics where they play with pups before selecting one for the barbie. No one seems to bash them though. Or China where cats are boiled alive.

Yes we Germans eating wild boars, they are in some parts of germany a pest. Good tasty meat in my hometown some hunter making "Bratwurst" of wild boar meat uncredible good.

If a pack of them approach your garden, without any permission, then at the latest after about 1 hour your garden is complete plowed up, the only difference it looks not so accurate like is made by a tractor. biggrin.png

We also like to eat hares, rabbits, chicken, turkeys etc. and in some places are still horse meat available.

You forgot France there you can buy almost in every supermarket horsemeat.

After WW II ppl in Germany ate also cats and dogs to survive.

Ethic is a good thing, but not everbody can afford it.

Carpe diem wai2.gif

• Like 1

so funny. I bet your parents are proud of your interlectual wit

I only eat Thai. As long as the missus isn't around.

Or she's involved at the same time thumbsup.gif

Lighten up guys....there are meat eaters and non meat eaters in the world. I doubt the twain will ever agree.

Some of us have animals we regard as pets and cannot fathom how some people could eat them. Others can eat the same animal without a skerrick of conscience. C'est la vie.

Anyone want a feed of grasshopper?

I expect you parents are proud of you being an interlectual too.

I beg your pardon I'm not a native english speaker.

I did'nt found the word "interlectual" maybe somethings new I still don't know!!??? whistling.gif

On the other hand I guess he meant "intellectual".

A teacher of mine taught us decades ago never use words you don't understand or probably you blame yourself. giggle.gif

If a dog is a man's best friend, then isn't the ox also a farmer's best friend? How about chicken if the cock crows each morning before the invention of alarm clocks?

Perhaps there are other things that can be done to enhance the country's image such as an honest & efficient civil service for starters??

I spoke recently to a young man who is a sailor in the US Navy. He had been located for some reason to Dutch Harbor, Alaska. The area has a problem with feral dogs. Every few years there, such as when a child was mauled to death, a "cull" is announced. All pets are to be held inside and the locals set loose with their firearms to clean up the area. Bounty set at five dollars a tail. 50 baht would be good for Thailand.

It would be a good days work to rid the world of American Pit Bull dogs.

I never heard such a bullshit, you don't have any idea about dogs, in general.

A friend of mine having for decades Pitt Bulls and his kids also, not 1 of them was or is agressive.

The agressivity of dogs is created by humans, some train them to be agressive for different reasons, but a lot of ppl are not able to handle a dog.

In central and northern europe you need for almost everything a license or permission, but not to raise dogs or kids and there starts the problem. whistling.gif

I spoke recently to a young man who is a sailor in the US Navy. He had been located for some reason to Dutch Harbor, Alaska. The area has a problem with feral dogs. Every few years there, such as when a child was mauled to death, a "cull" is announced. All pets are to be held inside and the locals set loose with their firearms to clean up the area. Bounty set at five dollars a tail. 50 baht would be good for Thailand.

It would be a good days work to rid the world of American Pit Bull dogs.

Again and again, this forumm is filling up with comments from people who know sweet f-all about Thailand.

Arusakda, if you live in Thailand or believe you know Thais, you would know that a huge majority of Thais would find the idea of personally killing off street strays as repugnant, due to their Buddhist beliefs. Thailand is a land of contrasts, they may seem unconcerned about huge road death tolls, rampant corruption etc. but their beliefs on the sanctity of life is steadfast. My wife is hesitant even about stomping on a cockroach. You should know that before making this suggestion. Why do you think the principles of the Ma Wat are in every town across Thailand.

Well said but are you honestly suggesting that if cash bounties were set for dog ears we would still have a problem with stray dogs? If so I would suggest it is YOU who has a shallow understanding of Thailand and it's culture. It's not that the vast majority of Thais revere life and would not stomp an insect (like me) but that a large number of Thais would eagerly cull dogs for money or even "kill 'ya for a nickel " Anybody here could be eliminated for a few thousand baht and that is the truth.

I love dogs. I am a 30+ year veggie. I only ate meat because my parents stuffed it in my face with every other crap thing that goes with it, such as Nationalism, Homophobia, and right wing ideology, before I knew better. Fortunately we were not burdened with Christiananity and it's lies. -arunsakda.

Maybe not yet, but are you sure all the monks of thailand following the rules of Buddha!!??? whistling.gif

A neighbour was pressed by his Chiang Rai wife to attend an uncle's funeral some years back. He told me he was sickened and surprised to see one of the family call one of the family dogs and casually slit it's throat to throw on the barbecue. He hasn't been back since. Barbarians!bah.gif

Its a cultural difference no different from them probably being disgusted that you eat beef.

It is meat and that is all there is to it.

Do you not find it equally disturbing that everything that you like to feast on has to lose its life to feed you?

No I am not a veggie, I am a meat lover, I just don't sit in judgement of others.

Well an expected response from someone who uses that swivel eyed loon as his avatar.

Oh CULTURE! That hoary old chestnut dusted and put forward as a , haha, valid intelligent argument for the barbarism of tribal peoples from the truly ignorant. It used to be the culture to bind young girls' feet ensuring a lifetime's inability to walk. That okay with you? It still is the culture to marry pre pubescent girls in some countries, after they'd had their genitals mutilated. Ok with that? How about the breeding and slaughtering of tigers to enable some old man to get his dick up [sic]. There are just SIX White Rhinos left on the planet, - Chinese medicine. The Japanese are still defending their culture of slaughtering whales and dolphins under the guise of 'science'. How we doing so far? huh.png

As to my eating habits I am a lifelong vegetarian. I would not condone the suffering of another sentient creature for my supposed enjoyment. And no, I don't wear leather either, so let's not go there.

BTW 'Meat Lover' Are you aware that when you die it will take at least 2 months for your last 'steak and chips' (you sound like that type), to rot in your gut along with the rest of you. After your pulmonary embolism laugh.png

post of the day....its hard to not bite at stupid posts..even i do but you are spot on sir

I was hoping the cremation would take care of that.

Good on the Thais!

Stick to your culture.

There is no difference in eating any bloody animal - birds, cows, dogs, ants or flies.

These soi dogs are a menace and should be cleaned out.

The dog exporters should be given The Thai exporters gold award for earning income from an unwanted pest.

Stick to your own rights as Thais and not those as perceived by a bunch of American hypocritical self centered morons.

• Like 1

But it is not Thai 'culture' to eat dog meat. It's a pocket of hillbillies in the north who have also found a market in neighbouring countries for the dog meat.

So what do you think of this that happened in China? I assume you are on the thieves side? (No idea how to do a spoiler option to hide the photo from the faint hearted).

dog-thieves.jpg

http://shanghaiist.com/2014/04/20/dog-meat-thieves-beaten-by-mob.php

Scum poisoning pets and stealing them for food, then vigilante justice. Maybe it will happen in Thailand soon.

Contrary to what people outside China perceive, most people in China would not eat dog. Just like most people in Thailand would probably be disgusted at the thought of eating dogs.