Acker Bilk: legendary jazz clarinettist dies aged 85

webfact

Acker Bilk: legendary jazz clarinettist dies aged 85

(BBC) Clarinettist Acker Bilk, who personified the trad jazz revival of the 1950s and 60s, has died after a lengthy illness, aged 85.

His most famous number Stranger on the Shore was the UK's biggest selling single of 1962 and made him an international star.

Born Bernard Stanley Bilk, he changed his name to Acker - Somerset slang for mate - after learning to play the clarinet in the Army.

His last concert was in August 2013.

Pamela Sutton, who was Bilk's personal manager for 45 years, said he had "been ill for some time. He was my great friend and his music was legendary."

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29874053

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-03

Sad,,,A great guy,and wonderful musician, He came to visit and entertain us in 1965 We were doing our stuff on the Sarawak -Indonesian border ridge.

( Indonesian confrontation ) Borneoattachicon.gifacka.jpg

Just like to add this pic.He was playing in our jungle base 1000mtr from the Indo border. As I said great great guy RIP

post-207884-0-48168100-1415022210_thumb.

• Like 1

If my memory still works, he hailed from Bishop Sutton (on the road from Chew Stoke to Keynsham).

Or was it Pensford??

I await informed advice.

Pensford just a couple miles south of Bristol. I used to drive through it everyday on the way to workplace.