Pattani: Two boat slaves survive three days in ocean

webfact

Two boat slaves survive three days in ocean
By Coconuts Bangkok

11724672064_ae8798321e_b.jpg

PATTANI: -- Two Thai men were rescued by a fishing boat four kilometers offshore from Pattani on Sunday after they jumped off a slavery boat and survived three days in the ocean.

Nine months after being held hostage and forced to work 21 hours a day, Duangklao Tongkratok, 24, and Ubon Lasa-ard, 39, said desperation drove them to try their luck by jumping from slavery vessel Wiwatchai 19 in the middle of the ocean, hoping they would make it to shore.

The two exhausted men, who were still frightened, were brought to the Donsai sub-district chief yesterday as locals fed them and helped calm them down. They described the experience as “more torturing than hell.”

Duangklao and Tongkratok said they were tricked into working on a fishing boat in January, at which point they were severely beaten by two boat operators who threatened them with a gun.

The men added they lived with six other workers. Every 15 days, the boat returns to the shore to sell the fish while the slaves are transferred to another slavery boat.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/11/03/two-boat-slaves-survive-three-days-ocean

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-11-03

It's all looking good for Thailand's ongoing human rights record.

I am surprised Prayuth hasn't piped up with a media coverage ban ... Give it time though.

Anyway, 3 days and only 4 KMs away from shore?

What were they doing for 3 days?... playing 'I Spy'? I spy with my little eye, something beginning with sea.

Is it even possible to tread water for 3 days solid?

I smell something fishy.

Edited by RustBucket

It's all looking good for Thailand's ongoing human rights record.

I am surprised Prayuth hasn't piped up with a media coverage ban ... Give it time though.

Anyway, 3 days and only 4 KMs away from shore?

What were they doing for 3 days?... playing 'I Spy'? I spy with my little eye, something beginning with sea.

Is it even possible to tread water for 3 days solid?

I smell something fishy.

Don't be so unfair... at least they made it. Half these guys can't swim.

Treading water is easy, floating on one's back is easy and effortless, assuming your not in the Hebrides, which they weren't.

I give them a full positive, and hope they are treated positively too (which I very much doubt), in identifying the perpretrators of such SLAVERY!

• Like 2

" Every 15 days, the boat returns to the shore to sell the fish while the slaves are transferred to another slavery boat. "

And TAT hasn't capitalized on this yet? I can see their new promotion: "Feel like you are being taken advantage of by your employer? Feel like you're on the bottom of the heap. Then...Run you own slave ship for 15 days. Feel what it's like to be the the boss. Come to Thailand and see why we are the Land of Smiles".

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hard to imagine this is still happening in the 21st Century.

Shanghai'd.

Well to look at the big picture, I see this as another example of the extremely monumental failure of the whole purpose of the UN.

Same as stateless people, after 100 years of existence of the UN still hundreds of millions of people in this world are stateless, in fact no progress

at all has been made on this matter.

Welcome to the 'Land of Smiles'. NOT !

This is a side tourist do not see.....if only tourists were aware of the - People smuggling managed by Thai's, the slavery managed by Thai's, the killing of animals for tusks, hide etc....managed by Thai's, the Foreign Passport thefts & re-sell managed by Thai's, the money laundering with no questions asked at Banks run by Thai's - people would not call this the Land of Smiles.

Its a bloody disgrace & makes me ashamed to be Thai. We seem so behind the rest of Asia - like Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea.....how do we ever fit into the AEC or any group of civilized people. Are we going to remain a backward third world country for all my life??

• Like 2

Welcome to the 'Land of Smiles'. NOT !

This is a side tourist do not see.....if only tourists were aware of the - People smuggling managed by Thai's, the slavery managed by Thai's, the killing of animals for tusks, hide etc....managed by Thai's, the Foreign Passport thefts & re-sell managed by Thai's, the money laundering with no questions asked at Banks run by Thai's - people would not call this the Land of Smiles.

Its a bloody disgrace & makes me ashamed to be Thai. We seem so behind the rest of Asia - like Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea.....how do we ever fit into the AEC or any group of civilized people. Are we going to remain a backward third world country for all my life??

It's all managed by Thai's because it's Thailand.

Most countries have these crimes.

In Britain these crimes are generally managed by British criminals. The UK has a slavery problem too believe it or not, thousands of women trafficked into prostitution, mostly from Eastern Europe as well as parts of Asia.

Don't be ashamed to be "Thai". You're really just another human being like I'm another human being, nationality means very little.

There are many people in the UK illegally been forced into all sorts of things, no one seems to care about people anymore. But the UK is the last country in the world to lecture anyone about anything especially true representation of the people (democracy) as the current voting system only allows one of two parties to win. You can vote for who you want but you won't get what you want.

• Like 1

Unless we have a set up here, every picture tells a story, if true , Thailand wanted a seat on the UN human rights council, Christ. coffee1.gif

Hey they have a Thai Human Rights Commission.

Wolves in sheep's clothing....I wonder if they are getting involved in this case?

Unless we have a set up here, every picture tells a story, if true , Thailand wanted a seat on the UN human rights council, Christ. coffee1.gif

Hey they have a Thai Human Rights Commission.

Wolves in sheep's clothing....I wonder if they are getting involved in this case?

Hunman rights activists get 'disappeared' in Thailand.