How long for avatar to change?

DarloKnight

Due to ISP caching it can take a long time for you to see your avatar change.

I see a black and white cat on a radiator, but your profile picture is two young ladies (which I assume is the new one).

There are ways to force the ISP to re-cache the data (dashed if I can remember how right now), but just waiting usually works.

Due to ISP caching it can take a long time for you to see your avatar change.

I see a black and white cat on a radiator, but your profile picture is two young ladies (which I assume is the new one).

There are ways to force the ISP to re-cache the data (dashed if I can remember how right now), but just waiting usually works.

The cat is my new one, will wait.

Thanks

I see your cat now. Remember seeing the two portrait photos earlier today.

post-21260-0-60270500-1415217584.jpg

Some ISP's are trying to do their clients a favour by storing some data that presumably does not change often on their servers, like company logos, avatars, etc. This reduces page load speed and in this sense is good for me.

The trick to get everything on a page to load afresh, bypassing the ISP's cache, is generally considered to be to press Alt+Shift+F5 on the keyboard of a Windows computer, but in my experience it does not always work.

attachicon.gifDarloKnight 20141105.jpg

Some ISP's are trying to do their clients a favour by storing some data that presumably does not change often on their servers, like company logos, avatars, etc. This reduces page load speed and in this sense is good for me.

The trick to get everything on a page to load afresh, bypassing the ISP'a cache, is generally considered to be to press Alt+Shift+F5 on the keyboard of a Windows computer, but in my experience it does not always work.

Thank you, but I'm still seeing old picture :( but glad it's the cat what you can see :)

attachicon.gifDarloKnight 20141105.jpg

The trick to get everything on a page to load afresh, bypassing the ISP'a cache, is generally considered to be to press Alt+Shift+F5 on the keyboard of a Windows computer, but in my experience it does not always work.

Thank you, but I'm still seeing old picture sad.png but glad it's the cat what you can see smile.png

Hold the CTRL key down and hit F5. This reloads the page but bypasses the local (browser) cache.

Well, you just have to wait for your ISP to refresh its cache, I guess. I believe it was with another ISP, years ago, that I got so frustrated with the delay of my new avatar being displayed that I deleted it and went without my banana leaf avatar for almost a year. Now that I know how it works, I resist the temptation to use temporary, seasonal avatars like a Father Christmas or a New Year theme. I may yet grow out of this rebellion; give it 20 or 30 years.

• Like 1