Steel bar makers ask Thai Industry Ministry not to certify alloy steel bars

webfact

Steel bar makers ask Industry Ministry not to certify alloy steel bars

BANGKOK, 04 November 2014 (NNT) – Domestic makers of steel bars met Minister of Industry Chakramon Phasukvanich on Monday to voice their concern over the importation of steel bars from China, arguing that some of the items did not meet the standard for safety.

Mr. Chakramon said the steel bar makers were asking that the Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TISI) refrain from giving certification to imported alloy steel bars, which are currently waived the 5% import tariff.

The group wanted the TISI to mandate that steel bars must not be of the alloy type, as some of these products pose safety risks. The group also explained that by not certifying alloy steel bars, market dumping by Chinese steel makers can be promptly addressed; this can be realized much faster than traditional anti-dumping measures by the Commerce Ministry, which could take years to be put in place.

The steel rod makers also asked the Industry Ministry to review its licensing of two metal melting factories that utilize induction furnaces, saying that this type of furnace is no longer acceptable by the global community for the making of steel bars. Minister Chakramon assured the group that the plants are only allowed to produce other types of steel products, and their licenses will be revoked if any reinforcing steel bars is produced.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-04 footer_n.gif

It's so nice to see that the Thai manufacturers are so concerned about the safety and reliability of products that are imported into Thailand in direct competition to their own. Some cynics here may believe that all this bluster has to do with protecting their profits but that would not be fair. Everyone knows that in Thailand, safety and quality comes before profit.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Of course Thai bar is world class..... every factory has a big ISO 14001 sign draped outside.... thus, how could Chinese standards be up to scratch, and better than Thai bar? Considering that China has only constructed 9 of the tallest Buildings in the world, of course.

It's so nice to see that the Thai manufacturers are so concerned about the safety and reliability of products that are imported into Thailand in direct competition to their own. Some cynics here may believe that all this bluster has to do with protecting their profits but that would not be fair. Everyone knows that in Thailand, safety and quality comes before profit.

Of course Thai bar is world class..... every factory has a big ISO 14001 sign draped outside.... thus, how could Chinese standards be up to scratch, and better than Thai bar? Considering that China has only constructed 9 of the tallest Buildings in the world, of course.

They've also constructed 30% of their dams in earthquake zones (according to The Economist some years ago).

• Like 1

This is a good thing. Thailand and its neighboring countries have been the dumping ground of the world for far to long, all the obsolete and substandard equipment, components seem to end up in Thailand. at a very cheap price that is gobbled up by various companies and then re-sold as state of the art components. Its time that the world realized that WE ARE NOT THE RUBBISH DUMP OF THE WORLD.

• Like 2

I doubt that the group who actually own and manufactor said product is too numerous to reqire more than a large dining table setting for a meeting

. As some have noted safety in construction does not seem a big concern in Thailand so this is probably due to potential profit margins being of more concern than safety. China is known to short cut, add potential additives to products, sell out of date/spoiled food etc to make additional money and the private sector of Thailand has continued to purchase, import and resale to the public here.

Thailand also, it seems, has/is aquiring a similar reputation in its rush to make the almighty baht profit, a little internal house keeping/cleaning may be in order via regular inspections, verification, etc by those paid and tasked to ensure product compliance/safety.

If this isn't the pot / black stiuation .........I don't know what is!

The Thai standard for this product is dreadful.......they just can't cope with competition.....immature business houses that try to cheat and defraud all the time!

Er you do know ISO 14000, is an enviromental standard not a quality standard on manufactured product dont you ?

whistling.gif

In reality, Thailand has some excellent carbon steel and stainless steel production facilites and does quite a lot of export, and some are certified by ASTM and API, therefore they comply with the quality standards set by both those US organisations, and no they havent bought the certification, but lets not let that these little facts get in way of a good conspriacy theory shall we ?

And before someone mentions ISO-9000, all this does if prove you are following the standards/procedures of the company, its not a reflection on the actual product quality per se itself

And for the record, China does export dodgy steel product with forged material certificates from some very suspect mills, so if someone is procurring steel product in China one does have to really do their due dilligence very carefully to understand who you are dealing with..wink.png

So before you start bulldozing in with your expert opinion, can I suggest you do a little research on google before..thumbsup.gif

Soutpeel... I dunno what got into you, but get off my case - I don't know when I pissed you off in the past.... but bygones are bygones.. USUALLY.

Did I say ISO 14001 does not refer to environmental issues? What you are missing is that Thais dont' know the difference between all quality standards, but merely copy what they believe to be associative to anything quality wise.. if you can't gist my sarcasm... just leave it out. Next we'll be seeing Q101 approved garages with Ford Q101 flags flying outside, nothing to do with Ford, and I've seen some, even Toyota garages!

I agree that SOME Chinese companies export 'faulty' goods, but if you believe there are less faulty goods manufactured in the building industry of Thailand, please give me a few links.

As for bulldozing in? Chew on a bit of Esan backy, and chill out.... I made an observation according to my own opinion, such as you did!

• Like 2

Er you do know ISO 14000, is an enviromental standard not a quality standard on manufactured product dont you ?

whistling.gif

In reality, Thailand has some excellent carbon steel and stainless steel production facilites and does quite a lot of export, and some are certified by ASTM and API, therefore they comply with the quality standards set by both those US organisations, and no they havent bought the certification, but lets not let that these little facts get in way of a good conspriacy theory shall we ?

And before someone mentions ISO-9000, all this does if prove you are following the standards/procedures of the company, its not a reflection on the actual product quality per se itself

And for the record, China does export dodgy steel product with forged material certificates from some very suspect mills, so if someone is procurring steel product in China one does have to really do their due dilligence very carefully to understand who you are dealing with..wink.png

So before you start bulldozing in with your expert opinion, can I suggest you do a little research on google before..thumbsup.gif

BUY ANY METAL PRODUCT FROM CHINA and return it for a refund within a week.

We should probably also take into account that scrape iron is being bought up around the world by china as fast as it is shipped to them.

This puts Thailand in competation with the Chinese for this material and they (Thai) cannot influence/set price of product,outside of Thailand. The people/companies who have had virtual monoplies in many areas of Thai market place, are going to have to recongize that times,attitudes, and circumstances have/will change. Some of the Thai companies will have to become more competitive in several areas to survive.This may include sourcing of material, quality of product, seviice to customer, etc.

to review its licensing of two metal melting factories that utilize induction furnaces, saying that this type of furnace is no longer acceptable by the global community for the making of steel bars.

Curious as to how they came to that conclusion as it is a very efficient, fast and clean method still used in the US.

Electro heat Induction

whistling.gif

Soutpeel... I dunno what got into you, but get off my case - I don't know when I pissed you off in the past.... but bygones are bygones.. USUALLY.

Did I say ISO 14001 does not refer to environmental issues? What you are missing is that Thais dont' know the difference between all quality standards, but merely copy what they believe to be associative to anything quality wise.. if you can't gist my sarcasm... just leave it out. Next we'll be seeing Q101 approved garages with Ford Q101 flags flying outside, nothing to do with Ford, and I've seen some, even Toyota garages!

I agree that SOME Chinese companies export 'faulty' goods, but if you believe there are less faulty goods manufactured in the building industry of Thailand, please give me a few links.

As for bulldozing in? Chew on a bit of Esan backy, and chill out.... I made an observation according to my own opinion, such as you did!

Get off your case ? then stop posting BS then rolleyes.gif

Do you actually work in Thailand in any form of industry ?...as you dont have a clue about what your taking about once again.

Esan backy ??..laugh.png ...Jeez mate, have never been to Isaan, so wouldnt know where to start finding " Isaan backy" but nice try anyway....but by all means go back to your bar stool or your digital pikery activites

"I agree that SOME Chinese companies export 'faulty' goods"....laugh.png Some Chinese companies dont just export "faulty goods" they purposely manufacturer fake material and goods with orginal manufactuers marks on it and forged paper work, try to respresent the stuff as original, you need to open your eyes a little.

It's becoming very apparent that you have never worked in the engineering industry in your life. If you have, you obviously never progressed beyond junior engineer level.

You've lived here for how many tears, yes tears, and never been to Issan... everybody who lives here visits Issan, for a variety of reasons.

Seems to me, now, after your 17,000 posts... you've never set foot in Thailand.

I live in my home, owned and paid for, 50/50.... I DON'T sit on a bar stool. My opinion of you has dropped massively in the last 2 weeks..... I just hope you are well!

to review its licensing of two metal melting factories that utilize induction furnaces, saying that this type of furnace is no longer acceptable by the global community for the making of steel bars.

Curious as to how they came to that conclusion as it is a very efficient, fast and clean method still used in the US.

Electro heat Induction

I think there is mistranslation, misunderstanding, misrepresention in this article, induction furnaces for steel production are pretty much standard worldwide for volume production.

Its three step process = Blast Furnace = pig iron ie high carbon content -> goes to induction furnace, decreases amount of carbon to turn it into steel, addtion of scrap to make up volume + any other additives to give the mechanical properties you want, eg add mangenese to increase toughness etc etc, then typically into a contineous caster in the big operations to make your slabs/billets/blooms, which are processed into what ever finished product your making, rod, plate etc...

Protectionism against dumping, Thailand against China, will this end the 'love story' between the LoS and the PRC? Nooo, too much money to make with the 'big brother'! Aah... And do Thai steel bars makers never, ever, import, cheap, low quality, Chinese steel bars and sell these at the price of the better, higher priced, local ones, hmm? I remember being offered the choice between both by an 'honest' steel dealer who told me about the ongoing juicy 'substitution' game... But hush, we're not supposed to know: I can do what I want, this MY country, you... etc.

if i would pose pics on how the local moo bahn is being build here, with some thing rods covered with some local made concrete, i would risk millions baht in damanges, litigation

note: the house are in the range of 5 - 30 million baht

whistling.gif

Do you actually work in Thailand in any form of industry ?...as you dont have a clue about what your taking about once again.

Esan backy ??..laugh.png ...Jeez mate, have never been to Isaan, so wouldnt know where to start finding " Isaan backy" but nice try anyway....but by all means go back to your bar stool or your digital pikery activites

"I agree that SOME Chinese companies export 'faulty' goods"....laugh.png Some Chinese companies dont just export "faulty goods" they purposely manufacturer fake material and goods with orginal manufactuers marks on it and forged paper work, try to respresent the stuff as original, you need to open your eyes a little.

It's becoming very apparent that you have never worked in the engineering industry in your life. If you have, you obviously never progressed beyond junior engineer level.

You've lived here for how many tears, yes tears, and never been to Issan... everybody who lives here visits Issan, for a variety of reasons.

I live in my home, owned and paid for, 50/50.... I DON'T sit on a bar stool. My opinion of you has dropped massively in the last 2 weeks..... I just hope you are well!

oh dear who rattled your cage ?....for the record I have been in engineering for nearly the 30 years, the last 14 in Thailand in.... you guessed it...Engineering...wink.png

and correct I have never been to Isaan in all time I have been here, had no reason to, and see we are back to the old gambit when someone has nothing to say...attack their post count, classy...thumbsup.gif

as to your opinion of me....well I couldnt care less what you think...thumbsup.gif

and as to your housing status how is this even relevant to the discussion ?

As to not sitting on a bar stool, what you do then ? stand all the time ?, your legs must get very sore...rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

oh dear who rattled your cage ?....for the record I have been in engineering for nearly the 30 years, the last 14 in Thailand in.... you guessed it...Engineering...wink.png

and correct I have never been to Isaan in all time I have been here, had no reason to, and see we are back to the old gambit when someone has nothing to say...attack their post count, classy...thumbsup.gif

as to your opinion of me....well I couldnt care less what you think...thumbsup.gif

As to not sitting on a bar stool, what you do then ? stand all the time ?, your legs must get very sore...rolleyes.gif

You refer to olde world blast furnace iron ore engineering as Engineering? I'd sure like to know all about how you apply BFMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA, QFMEA and LFMEA to all of your Thai processes. Actually, I wouldn't.. because I'm sure they don't exist, and neither does your knowledge about such. Do you make bricks, per chance?

You refer to olde world blast furnace iron ore engineering as Engineering? I'd sure like to know all about how you apply BFMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA, QFMEA and LFMEA to all of your Thai processes. Actually, I wouldn't.. because I'm sure they don't exist, and neither does your knowledge about such. Do you make bricks, per chance?

Yes, he makes bricks, they're not real thick though, so you won't relate to them easily.

• Like 1

Dear oh dear Commerce, your continued ranting leads me to believe,

1. you have been standing at the bar too long, and all the bloods run out your head or

2. you have passed medication hour..not sure which ?

No I dont make bricks... and what are you ranting on about as regards the acroymns blink.png ?...there are a few acronyms I could use in response but fear I will get suspended for my trouble..

Now if you have something to contribute to the thread pleased do so without the off topic ranting as your just making yourself look a bigger fool than you actually are, and as another poster suggested it appears your thicker than the bricks, you stated I make....wink.png

As the old saying goes "never argue with an idiot", I think this well and truely applies in this case

Waiting in eagar anticipation for your next ranting off topic diatribe....thumbsup.gif

toodles...

• Like 1