Thai woman almost eaten by python from her toilet

webfact

Any snake experts on here can identify whether this is a Regal Python in the Coconuts picture?

No expert but try this site http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_common.html

There are only 2 pythons in TL the reticulated python (which the one in the pix isn't, seen one) and the Burmese Python which it possibly could be with the colors tricked up.

Other than that the photo bears no relation to the story.

And the story likely provides little resemblance to truth.

But if it was an RTP claim then it would be true right ? whistling.gif

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The snake in the photo is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa - I own several and they are 1.5 to 2 metres fully grown. This snake would NOT have attacked the woman. The snake that bit the woman would have been a Reticulated Python - they can be very aggressive. I doubt very much that it would have been a Burmese Python.

Are the blue stripes on them really that intensive? Beautiful!

Yes, they are that intensive - when in the sunshine! That is why they are called "Rainbow" boas. They are a very beautiful looking snake with a nice disposition to go with it!

I'm curious; do your captive Pythons display any unique personality traits? Are they "domesticated" in any way and do they respond to their care givers? I'll bet rats are not a concern around your property.

About 5 or so years ago, a Python wrapped itself around the rear axel of a sawng-taow parked behind Mike Shopping Mall on 2nd road in Pattaya. It was seen just as the driver was about to drive off. Created quite a scene with a lot of media and spectators as police and animal control jacked up the truck and tried to dislodge it. The snake finally got fed-up with all the bother and very suddenly loosed itself from the axel and made straight for a storm drain from which it had probably come from in the first place....they wisely let it go.

All of my snakes do have their own personalities, they also know me by sight and smell and often show affection. Snakes are very intelligent creatures, and Reticulated Pythons (proven to recognise facial features of a human) are the most intelligent of all snakes. They are shy and gentle and are only aggressive towards you when scared or get a fright (usually when you wake them suddenly - snakes dont have eyelids, so you have to look closely at their pupil to see whether they are awake or asleep).

Snakes are actually a perfect pet! They dont make a noise, they dont shed fur, you only have to feed them every 10 days or so (and in good condition they can go up to a year without eating, they just need fresh water) and they only poop every 2 weeks!

There are 3 species of python native to Thailand - Reticulated Python (can grow to 10 metres), Burmese Python (can reach 7-8 metres) and the Blood or Curtis Python (to 2 metres). Pythons are protected here. To own one you have to have permits.

DID YOU KNOW ... Most men that are bitten by snakes are bitten on the hand and forearm (trying to catch or kill the snake), most women are bitten on their foot and lower leg (because they are not looking where they are walking!)

Oh, and this is "Monty" (seriously - that's her name, and No, I didnt name her!) .... in a bathroom somewhere in Thailand!

post-225433-0-95092700-1415138717_thumb.

Edited by PythonHouse
  • Like 1

That's scarier than Ebola! Got my attention for sure.

You wouldn't want to be squatting over the bogger when that snake appeared at ur butt cheeks, would you?

In Aust all we have to worry about is red back spiders

We live in Sam Khok, make a note not to use the downstairs loo.

I once found a frog in the toilet of a second floor apartment I was living in. I saw him off and on for several days, when startled he would would swim down the drain, and reappear later. Some animals can travel through the drains.

I was bitten on the hand (my fault) by a small carpet python at my home in Australia. You can normally pick these snakes up (after positive identification - no difficult as they are distinctively and beautifully patterned) and remove them to a safer place and they are usually docile. The one that bit me was young but as you can see from other posts pythons have 70 or so inward facing teeth and it required some effort to dislodge it. I went to the doc for an anti infection injection.

Its good to have these snakes around as they are excellent at rodent control - some country stores use them rather than cats.

When I lived in Malaysia I saw a photo in the paper of a 5 year old boy who had been killed and ingested by a huge python in Sarawak (on Borneo).

Most people are bitten trying to catch snakes - let them be unless you are under direct attack which is most unusual. I had one large python wrapped round the back axle of my truck once so I just drove to a paddock and left it there for a while - the snake disappeared in due course.

• Like 2

That's scarier than Ebola! Got my attention for sure.

You wouldn't want to be squatting over the bogger when that snake appeared at ur butt cheeks, would you?

In Aust all we have to worry about is red back spiders

I don't agree with you chooka in WA we had 8 people bitten in the past 2 weeks one person died

because he did not seek medical attention soon enough

• Like 1

Raise your hand here if you've ever been bitten by a snake! I'll start... I'm start with a nasty one. Cotton Mouth Water Moccasin struck my left foot near a lake in North Carolina. I thought I was going to die, but only one fang hit and it went completely through the left side my lower Ieft toe. I was damned lucky.

Three times in 3 months.... working survey at Castaic dam in California. Western Diamondback. For what it's worth, rattlesnakes only rattle when they have time, surprise them and they strike.
  • Like 1

Any snake experts on here can identify whether this is a Regal Python in the Coconuts picture?

No expert but try this site http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_common.html

There are only 2 pythons in TL the reticulated python (which the one in the pix isn't, seen one) and the Burmese Python which it possibly could be with the colors tricked up.

Other than that the photo bears no relation to the story.

Looks like an Orange Ghost Ball Python - habitat Africa. Docile - curls into a ball when threatened.

Bluespunk, on 04 Nov 2014 - 18:44, said:

"Samkok district officer Metha Taweekunchai said he’ll order his officers to capture the snake in Rampeung's toilet, so the family can resume using it"

Well that'll be a relief for everyone concerned.

To be honest I didn't think pythons had fangs. Don't they just wrap themselves around their prey and constrict until it's dead?

Actually "fangs" is correct, it is used to describe the two "canine" type teeth"

Fang: A long, sharp, pointed tooth, especially a canine tooth.

"Samkok district officer Metha Taweekunchai said he’ll order his officers to capture the snake in Rampeung's toilet, so the family can resume using it"

Well that'll be a relief for everyone concerned.

To be honest I didn't think pythons had fangs. Don't they just wrap themselves around their prey and constrict until it's dead?

Not fangs as in poisonous fangs for injecting venom. But the snake has to have some way of ingesting its prey once constricted to death. The fangish looking teeth are for latching onto the prey and pulling it inside (they can sort of unhinge their jaws so as to be able to swallow prey bigger than they themselves are!). But I guess they'll bite; they just don't kill that way. At least that's how I understand it. I've seen documentary videos of the process. These things started getting to be a big problem in Florida a few years ago. People would buy little ones as pets, and then just release them when they got to be too big to manage; and then they were able to compete rather well in the wild there.