Only 6% of int’l tourists return to Vietnam: survey

craigt3365

A survey recently launched by one EU-funded tourism development program revealed that a mere 6% of the questioned international tourists choose to return to Vietnam due to poor tourism services, inconvenient transport and inadequate investment.

The survey, launched by the Management Board of the EU-funded Environmentally and Socially Responsible Tourism Capacity Development Program (EU Project in short), also showed that over 90% of the international respondents are first-time visitors.

The survey was launched in five of the country’s major tourist attractions: Sa Pa town in Lao Cai Province, UNESCO-recognized Ha Long Bay in Quang Ninh Province in northern Vietnam, Hue- the country’s imperial capital which is home to UNESCO-recognized monument complex, Da Nang and Quang Nam Province’s UNESCO-acclaimed Hoi An Old Town in the central region.

Continued:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/23748/only-6-of-intl-tourists-return-to-vietnam-survey

logonew.png

Me too. It was interesting at times but I just don't feel pulled to return any time soon.

I remember all the traffic congestion (and subsequent noise) in cities was quite annoying, and the weather also wasn't too great when I visited, which didn't help matters. It was rather overcast and drizzly down in the south, and quite cold at times up in the north. I found Vietnamese people friendlier than what people had been telling me, prior to visiting though. It was one of those places that for me was quite forgettable to the point that when people have asked me where I've travelled, I forget to mention it at all sometimes.

Having said that, I did enjoy places like Laos but haven't been back there either since 1999 and can think of many other places that have only been visited once, too. I guess some places really demand second or third visits, and some don't. Food in Vietnam didn't impress me much compared to Thailand / Malaysia / Indonesia. Had I not been to South East Asia before, perhaps it would have had more impact on me than it did. I reckon that was a major factor. Vietnam once seemed mythical in my childhood due to all those 80s movies, but by the time of visiting I was familiar with South East Asia and perhaps things didn't stand out for me as much as they would for people on a one off RTW journey or similar.

Visas, some really bad stories many of my associates that are Vietnamese pretty much turned me off to not even going once. The bad stories involved long lines at the airport, immigration officials shaking people down, even nationals, especially viets that came from the US back to visit Vietnam.

• Like 1

Maybe Somebody can enlighten me,why is the EU (presumably the European union) interested in Tourism in Vietnam,surely they have enough to worry about with their own members prosperity and holiday trade,without worrying about Vietnam,which has nothing remotely to do with the EU Countries vying for the Tourist trade.!

If tha'ts how they spend member states money,obtaining useless data and trading figures,for a Country not competing for Tourists,around 5200 miles away,it's difficult to see the point,of this in the first place!

Perhaps i have missed something here?

Edited by MAJIC

Yes, I thought the same but then it isn't unusual. If only people knew.

If I may go off topic slightly for a moment - Earlier this year I visited an archaeological site within Nablus (West Bank) , the preservation of which I noticed (from all sorts of signs there) had plenty of EU involvement. I felt torn between the good work that had been done to preserve it (it was so under threat by nearby businesses who probably would have torn it up for a warehouse if given the chance) and the fact of what is probably our money being used in places outside of Europe without our knowledge or permission, especially when you see the kind of wealth that is in some parts of Ramallah and mansions in valleys outside of Nablus. The EU is going off with money from the pot to involve itself in politics outside of Europe, being used to fund European politician's pet projects. Below are some links that may make your blood boil (be warned tongue.png )

One

Two

Three

If I may go off topic slightly for a moment - Earlier this year I visited an archaeological site within Nablus (West Bank) , the preservation of which I noticed (from all sorts of signs there) had plenty of EU involvement. I felt torn between the good work that had been done to preserve it (it was so under threat by nearby businesses who probably would have torn it up for a warehouse if given the chance) and the fact of what is probably our money being used in places outside of Europe without our knowledge or permission, especially when you see the kind of wealth that is in some parts of Ramallah and mansions in valleys outside of Nablus. The EU is going off with money from the pot to involve itself in politics outside of Europe, being used to fund European politician's pet projects. Below are some links that may make your blood boil (be warned tongue.png )

One

Two

Three

And now as you no doubt know,we in the UK have a demand from the EU for £1.7 billion pounds,I just hope the EU keep up their ridicoulous demands,such as this one,which basically is financing Vietnam Tourist surveys,with EU money! it will not be long until a UK referendom,(within 5 years) and then it's bye bye Europe! and financing Vietnam Tourist Surveys!

Thanks for your reply!

• Like 1

One

Two

Three

Blood boiled? It did!

Spending the peoples money with agreement and worthwhile projects to assist those not so well off as us is fine, and with permission is one thing,taking from the people in this manner,is nothing short of Theft!

So it's "see Vietnam and die", I suppose.

Personally what puts me off most about visiting certain countries are tedious and/or expensive visa/immigration requirements. Many countries fall into this category, including the USA, India, and most of the countries near Thailand.

It's a complete mystery to me why someone with funds should not be able to get 30 days or so on arrival in these countries for free as one can when flying into Thailand. They still get to do the passport check at immigration and so can refuse entry to anyone on a blacklist.

Tourism is a huge money-spinner that sensible countries should welcome rather than tax with expensive visas.

• Like 2

The US has a visa on arrival system for some 40 countries. Not bad. I've heard China has gotten really hard to get a visa. India is ridiculous. And yes, it's strange the countries surrounding Thailand don't make it easier for travelers. Maybe it a money machine for the lucky few?

• Like 1

So it's "see Vietnam and die", I suppose.

Personally what puts me off most about visiting certain countries are tedious and/or expensive visa/immigration requirements. Many countries fall into this category, including the USA, India, and most of the countries near Thailand.

It's a complete mystery to me why someone with funds should not be able to get 30 days or so on arrival in these countries for free as one can when flying into Thailand. They still get to do the passport check at immigration and so can refuse entry to anyone on a blacklist.

Tourism is a huge money-spinner that sensible countries should welcome rather than tax with expensive visas.

Vietnam does not make it easy or inexpensive. This stupid two-step process of going through a non-sanctioned online site and wading through the bureaucracy of Visa on Arrival at the SGN airport is ludicrous. Then there's the cost of $60 for a month long visa just for a 3-day or 4-day visit. Asinine. I would visit more often but I can't be bothered most of the time. And VN is clamping down on longer visas, with the 3-month the upper limit these days. I could probably get a longer one because of my record of 6-month visas in the past but I find myself far less enthused or welcome there.

In Cambodia, the tourist visa setup is much better and fairly quick. And Thailand is hassle and cost free for a tourist. I seem to remember Laos being better than VN (although a very expensive $42 for us Canadians!).

• Like 1

Sure visa should be free for 1 month. Was the first time in Saigon in May this year for a week and it was great.

Had the same feeling like when i came first time to Bangkok 22 years ago.

The food was absolut sensational. Had the best baquette, ciabatta, teppanyaki and seafood buffet(Nikko) in my life.

It was a perfect week with interesting museum visits and we will be back next year.

• Like 1

I should have added to my post (#13) above that Vietnam is considering expanding visa-free entry to nine more western nations (Scandinavians get 15 visa-free days). That's as of news reports mid-year 2014. But so far no news that it's been approved by the Viet PM.

• 4 weeks later...

I admit, I was one and ....... hopefully not done. I liked it better than Thailand on certain levels, but I also thought it was a place that might get me exhausted after awhile. the energy in saigon was good, food was good, people nice, and i would like to go back to visit more.

I guess I'm part of the 6%. Love the food. Admittedly I don't travel around there much though, the footpaths around the Opera House area in HCMC are so good that I find myself taking long walks for pleasure which is something I don't do in Chiang Mai or Bangkok.