Deep south safety

MarcelV

In less than three weeks time I will visit the deep south region. At Hat Yai Airport I plan on renting a car and driving to Pattani where my girlfriend lives. Like last time I want to stay at the best hotel in the deep south, the CS Pattani.

I am however a bit concerned about the security situation in the region.

Last time, two months ago, I only stayed in Mueang Pattani for four days, where I arrived and left by shared mini-van. My GF drove me around town on her motosai. This time, since I should have private transportation, I plan on exploring the province of Pattani plus its neigbouring provinces on my own, when the GF is working. Looking for nice scenery, beaches, mosques etc. I will probably stay at the hotel for a week.

As I understand, some districts (in Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala) are safer than others. Since the safety seems to vary even on a village level, with villages being colour-coded as red, yellow or green, I was wondering how to acquire detailed information on these designations.

Is there a map available somewhere where I can find these colour codings? During my trips through the area I wouldn't want to accidentally enter a "red" village that is a hotbed of insurgents.

Edited by MarcelV

Just do not be in denial about the very real risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Have you considered that you might also be putting your GF at increased risk by making her relationship with a Westerner more obvious. What is freely accepted in the rest of Thailand may not be so freely accepted there.

i have spent a fair amount of time in northern Malaysia an southern Thailand with my car this year form the east coast to the west ( i really like Yalla and Betong, Satun)

never any trouble with white person driving.

seems everywhere thou ur told to be off the streets after 9 om which is fine with me

I have been in lots of small villages off the main roads as well looking for interesting things to photograph, never anyone upset when i point my camera at them and this includes the army and checkpoints

Have you considered that you might also be putting your GF at increased risk by making her relationship with a Westerner more obvious.

??

i have been traveling with my Cambodian gf so have no idea what your on about

Its a case of not being in te worng place at the wrong time.

i have spent a fair amount of time in northern Malaysia an southern Thailand with my car this year form the east coast to the west ( i really like Yalla and Betong, Satun)

never any trouble with white person driving.

seems everywhere thou ur told to be off the streets after 9 om which is fine with me

I have been in lots of small villages off the main roads as well looking for interesting things to photograph, never anyone upset when i point my camera at them and this includes the army and checkpoints

Last time I answered a thread on this area, it was deleted by the mods! w00t.giftongue.png ... so I did not bother until now! ... but I agree with PR ! ... although I did on motor bike!

I've been through these areas too.... sometimes the soldiers just stop to have a chat... being bored out of their minds .... whistling.gif

Does not matter where one is, anything could happen anytime, any where, and not just in Thailand!

Just do not be in denial about the very real risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Have you considered that you might also be putting your GF at increased risk by making her relationship with a Westerner more obvious. What is freely accepted in the rest of Thailand may not be so freely accepted there.

sorry but i strongly disagree with this comment.

99.9% of the people down there couldnt give a hoot about a foreigner with a thai lady, in fact the people are more friendly than most of the larger cities.