Thai Embassy london passports gone missing?

Applied for new Non IMM visa after 2 weeks it did not come back ,, should be 4 days max

tried phoning embassy 6 times but they never answer ,, 2 trips each way 150miles to embassy and all they will admit is they have received my passport and documents and fee which they cashed , and No they have not sent back the passport yet as they dont know where it is ??????? so its not lost in the post

problem is they will not accept responsibility or seem very worried about it , when i contacted UK passport office and London police I have been told that thsi is not uncommon recently !!!!!

they are also angry and will look into it .

I am now very worried as i am due to return to Far east next week also its a security risk and not very proffessional by the Thai embassy attitude .

I would write an urgent registered letter, give them time until the very same day of receipt, then file a police report with direct blame on them, obtain a new urgent passport and if time allows obtain the visa in person at another consulate on the same day. Save all receipts and when you return make a claim

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Edited by paz

I always take my passport, things can go wrong and will sometimes go wrong, I believe Birminham are now doing non'o's on the same day, hull are doing the next day but will take details by email to save one trip. same day passport service is good, i rang on a Monday and had an appointment the following day at 8.30am, passport in hand at 12.30. that was Peterborough, get a jumbo passport works out better value. about £130.

Thinking further as yours is lost maybe they will not issue same day.

all the best i hope it turns up in the mean time.

...What did the police say they can do about it?...

Diplomatic immunity, but the police should at least give a copy of the report of the loss of the passport.

Any small claims court action, referred to in post #4, would presumably prove unsuccessful for the same reason.

Actually, the embassy has civil liability and must pay its bills. There is no immunity from that. It is the enforcement of paying bills that is difficult as many measures that normally can be taken are not possible against a diplomatic mission. You can't for instance enter the premisses and confiscate things for selling them to pay the bill.

Same goes for traffic tickets, they can and are issued against diplomats. But you can't force them to pay. So in such cases the ambassodor is informed and sometimes the foreign minister of the country in question. Sometimes that is succesful, many times not.

• Like 1

Any small claims court action, referred to in post #4, would presumably prove unsuccessful for the same reason.

You're very off track, diplomatic immunity doesn't apply to damages and crimes done by clerks.

It also has limitations even for true diplomatic personnel.

Situation has now been solved .. my missing passport has been found and should be back to me soon via registered post with requested visa as well

I received a call from Thai emabassy consolar section to confirm that today,, much apology from the lady calling seems they were chivvied with some help from British authorities putting pressure on someone in Thai embassy ,, what exactly happened was described as adminstrative error????

als well anyway what a relief

• Like 1

You are learning that Thainess, especially when it comes to accepting responsibility and losing face, even applies overseas

when my wife applied for a new passport at [london] they didnt lose it,but put somebody else's photo in the new one. not possible was the reply from the embassy,then they said she will have to pay again.that was until mr.john eyle's the thai consulate in cardiff told them NO she wont.

You are learning that Thainess, especially when it comes to accepting responsibility and losing face, even applies overseas

when my wife applied for a new passport at [london] they didnt lose it,but put somebody else's photo in the new one. not possible was the reply from the embassy,then they said she will have to pay again.that was until mr.john eyle's the thai consulate in cardiff told them NO she wont.

And to redress the balance, the British Embassy here in Bangkok put completely the wrong address for me in an income confirmation letter they issued to me a number of years ago - despite the fact that I had clearly stated the address to be entered in my letter to them!

So we are equally talking about Britishness as well as Thainess, I think!!