American tourist plunges to his death from 27th floor of Pattaya condo

webfact

American tourist plunges to his death from 27th floor of Pattaya condo

PATTAYA: -- A 52-year-old American plunged to his death from the27th floor of View Thalay Condominium at the Central Pattaya at 7:30 am while police were trying to persuade him to change his mind.

The tourist was identified by his passport as Douglax Rex Rinehart. He left a note, saying he had run out of cash but he did not want to go home.

The jump was witnessed by police, security officers and several other people.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/American-tourist-plunges-to-his-death-from-27th-fl-30247027.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-05

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They say a fall from even 2 meters can kill you.

Glad this guy wasn't taking any chances and went for 27 floors.

Its always got to be doubly tough to try and kill yourself only to survive a paraplegic.

I really try and discourage American males from coming over here IF they are showing any signs of mental health issues since this place only makes them worse...eventually.

Wonder if the family back home will need assistance on this end.

• Like 2

If he had run out of money, he could have sold the condo. RIP Mr Rex. wai2.gif

It is really really sad to hear of many foreigners coming here and feeling trapped, cheated and taken advantage of....my condolences to his family.

Thailand, particularly the cities have their pressure as any city in the world. The difference a foreigner has no options here...In his own country and in the places where I have lived before (15 Countries) There are means and ways in which one could gain help, support and a second chance. We do not know to which extent Rex was mentally bound, but it seems he could not find a way out. Its a shame that all help came too late for him.

• Like 2

RIP another sad ending to someones life in Pattaya at least his family might get some comfort in looking on you tube for his final moments, people actually film suicides in Thailand things people will do for money in Thailand.

We even have a video this time, so a true suicide sad.png

One more meter and he was in the pool...

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/american-man-jumps-death-pattaya-condominium/

At least this saves us from all the conspiracy posts.

Sorry he felt that amount of despair, but his low regard for his own life seems to have been coupled with his indifference to the consequences of the trauma and potential injury he may have caused others. I hope this doesn't inspire anyone else to go down the same path.

Coincidentally there was a story of a woman in the US with terminal cancer who chose to end her life using medication available to her in the state of Oregon where a death with dignity law exists. Of course that option would not have been available to someone who was just broke and depressed.

While some of the news coverage of the event in Pattaya was certainly tasteless, it was the jumper who chose to end things in a way that was anything but dignified. Even in Thailand there are less spectacular ways to end it all.

Over the weekend, Brittany Maynard used Oregon's Death with Dignity law to end her own life. Since Oregon's law first passed in 1994, hundreds have used it to prevent suffering at the ends of life.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/361206238/high-profile-case-brings-new-attention-to-oregons-assisted-suicide-law

• Like 1

If he had run out of money, he could have sold the condo. RIP Mr Rex. wai2.gif

It is really really sad to hear of many foreigners coming here and feeling trapped, cheated and taken advantage of....my condolences to his family.

Thailand, particularly the cities have their pressure as any city in the world. The difference a foreigner has no options here...In his own country and in the places where I have lived before (15 Countries) There are means and ways in which one could gain help, support and a second chance. We do not know to which extent Rex was mentally bound, but it seems he could not find a way out. Its a shame that all help came too late for him.

They are trapped by them selves.

There is nobody who told them to go pattaya, to,go live in thailand or to spend all the money they have on a bimbo from the bar.

I am astonished that everybody always blames the thai lady, thai family, thai in general.

Who gives all the money?

That is the one to blame.

But, if you really think you can buy love with money, well, then at the end you will need to jump maybe.

Just see how many of your woman stay with you if you cut them off from the money for 6 months.

If there needs to be shopping done, go,with them, buy together and pay only for the things really needed.

I bet that more then half of the women will leave and i not blame them.

But they are then at least honest, that they only stay with you for your money.

The real blame is the stupid farang who thinks he can buy all with his money.

Easy man!! Yes the guy may have been naive but I think you know that women in general and in Thailand in particular are only interested in one thing from a man and it is not love. That is a male preconception. Try to remember that prostitution is the oldest profession of all and was not invented by men.

You can just walk into Talay 6, get the lift to the 27 floor, walk to the end of the corridor, open the window over the pool then that's it, should put locks on them windows now

why put a lock on it?

If they wanna jump they break the whole window.

This is cheaper.

And really, if people want to die, let them die.

Provide good options for a quick and painless death.

Who are we to tell other that they have to live even when they not want to live.

so they don't land on your head when your around the pool,
  • Like 2

You can just walk into Talay 6, get the lift to the 27 floor, walk to the end of the corridor, open the window over the pool then that's it, should put locks on them windows now

why put a lock on it?

If they wanna jump they break the whole window.

This is cheaper.

And really, if people want to die, let them die.

Provide good options for a quick and painless death.

Who are we to tell other that they have to live even when they not want to live.

so they don't land on your head when your around the pool,

That would be they only good reason to do so.

But, if they wanna jump they open the window or break it.

RIP poor man.

But how bad is home that these guys would rather top themselves than go back home?

I'm from Australia, I love living in LOS, been here a long time and plan on staying for much longer. But if for any reason it all came to an end and I had to return to Australia then so be it. I'll enjoy life watching footy and drinking cans of VB and sharing dirty jokes with my mates around the barbi.

• Like 2

RIP poor man.

But how bad is home that these guys would rather top themselves than go back home?

I'm from Australia, I love living in LOS, been here a long time and plan on staying for much longer. But if for any reason it all came to an end and I had to return to Australia then so be it. I'll enjoy life watching footy and drinking cans of VB and sharing dirty jokes with my mates around the barbi.

That is OK if you have somewhere to go to when you go back. Broke and homeless standing around in the arrivals lounge wondering what to do....find a tall building,take the lift,...... A 50 something year old should have enough life experience and strength of character to pull himself through unless he had mental issues but sometimes when all the chips are down one can think ''to hell with it all'' and just check out.

• Like 2