Do you keep baby formula in the fridge?

davidst01

After opening a box of baby formula is it ok to keep it in the fridge or should we keep it in a plastic container in the draw. Does refrigeration alter the composition of the product?

I tried to google this and could not find a sufficient answer.

Perhaps you might also tell me how many mills a day should a newborn consume (either breast milk or formula). How many mills a day do you think your baby is consuming?

thanks

We have a 4 months old baby son. After 3 months breast feeding my wife started formula feeding. Our doctor in the Udon Thani Military Hospital recommended Enfalac A+. So we are using it. There is no need to keep the formula in the fridge. Just open the sealed bag and put this bag together with the formula in an air-sealed plastic container (MAKRO sells a variety of plastic containers). Keep it out of sunlight and that´s it.

The pediatrician told us that a baby should have about 5 oz of formula per kg body weight per day. Our baby weighs now 7 kg and consumes about 30 oz per day (he wants to be feeded 6 times a day and each time he consumed 5 oz he signals that he is definitely full). According to the pediatrician´s information he should consume 35 oz formula per day. But yesterday the doctor said that 30 oz per day is ok too as long as the baby is developing well.

You should refer to the following website. It provides a lot of useful information which will answer most of your questions: www.babycenter.com

Best regards from Udon Thani.smile.png

How would one measure breast milk?

I bottle fed 4 kids. When they cried they got fed, when they were full they stopped feeding.

Never measured it.........my how times have changed.

Always kept milk powder in a sealed container in the cupboard, never the fridge.

• Like 1

I believe they have special classes for people who need help such as yourself ....... coffee1.gif

Lets not be hard on the OP ... some people just need special help.

They need a 'Special Daddy's Club'.

An example ... it's the same OP who gave us this gem of ...

I have recently joined the adult world by getting married. Our baby is due soon and my wife will stop working. It is time for me to 'be a man' and pay all the bills.

I thus write to ask your opinion as to how much I should be giving her each month to buy food and things for the baby (and for us).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/755237-baby-coming-soon-wife-will-stop-working-how-much-should-i-pay-each-month/

(He was also paying his wife Bt5 a shirt to iron them ... rolleyes.gif )

So clearly a rallying call to us experienced Dads to gather round and solve this mystery of Child raising.

So ... what to do?

Well, find the formula you and the bub likes, buy a BIG box of it.

Then buy a standard tin of milk ... also one that you and the bub like.

Just like this style pictured below ...

8999619.jpg

Open one of the foil packets, pour it into the tin, keep the opened box in a dry cool place.

Ignore what the box says ... the mixed milk, in a sterile bottle, stored in a non-airconditioned room, out of the Sun, is viable for between 2 - 4 hours. More like 2 in summer, closer to 4 in Winter. Doubts? ... the sniff test.

Having Twins, I've mixed hundreds, bordering on thousands of bottles of formula.

Happy to help here or you can PM me directly.

Though Paz seems to have a world of experience also ... wai.gif ... so maybe best not to PM me.

• Like 1

I would definitely put it in a "cooler" area. If you just leave it in the room or kitchen, it does go bad after 2 weeks-1month, the quality and texture definitely changes.

Our experience differs from yours.

May I ask, how have you judged that 'it does go bad after 2 weeks-1month, the quality and texture definitely changes.'

Asking, not telling

David48, on 06 Nov 2014 - 16:44, said:Happy to help here or you can PM me directly.

Though Paz seems to have a world of experience also ... wai.gif ... so maybe best not to PM me.

David, you nearly give me a heart attack. First read that as Faz, not Paz!

I used to make feeds up twice a day, once in the morning, once in the evening.

It's been 25 years since I last made feeds, these days I can give better advice on Zimmer frames.

I suppose formulas have changed a lot over the years. Back then, in an emergency, it wasn't unusual to put of couple of teaspoons of baby milk powder in the early morning coffee, when the other kids drunk all the ordinary milk..............tasted like Yuk!

I use the powder from Tesco, 182Bht for 900gm (yellow packet).

The powder is kept in a screw top plastic container beside the bed.

How long can you make 900gm last?

Mine is gone in less than 2 weeks.

I always gave him as much as he would drink.

When he stops hes had enough, when he cries he is given more.

Start off with small bottles.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I would definitely put it in a "cooler" area. If you just leave it in the room or kitchen, it does go bad after 2 weeks-1month, the quality and texture definitely changes.

May I ask, how have you judged that 'it does go bad after 2 weeks-1month, the quality and texture definitely changes.'

Asking, not telling

I was wondering how they managed to have an open packet after 2 weeks?

Asking too?

AOA ... how old is the baby you are feeding?

182Bht for 900gm (yellow packet) ... Brand? ... that is very cheap!

AOA ... how old is the baby you are feeding?

182Bht for 900gm (yellow packet) ... Brand? ... that is very cheap!

Tesco lotus sell two brands in individual 900gm packets, Nestle (blue) 210bht, and Dumex (yellow) 182bht.

The price of both goes up and down like a %$#% draws. I buy whichever is on offer, usually Dumex.

Boy is now 3 years old. He likes his milk.

(I don't believe there is any essential differences between any of the baby milk brands, basically only two choices, lactose free or not)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Asking, not telling

I was wondering how they managed to have an open packet after 2 weeks?

Asking too?

David,

I buy the metallic can types of probably 1kg and above. Initially, the powder is very fine, and when mixing also very easily mixed. But I find that, especially from the last few months of higher temperatures in our weather, when mixing, the milk itself tends to be "clumpy", just like how milk separates when spoiled. I'm not talking about the unmixed clump, but the clump that is evident when milk spoils. So although the milk powder hasn't moved to the spoiled part, the quality definitely has changed from the since new. So I advise putting in a cooler area, possibly away from sunlight too.

AnotherOneAmerican,

It's better that you have the packet types and can finish in that amount of time. The ones I've used, just comes in the metal cans without separate packages, so halfway through it, the milk powder has changed. I'll probably buy packets like yours next time.

• Like 1

JacChang, mate, your experiences are certainly different from mine.

But we are probably using the powder at different rates.

I've got Twins, now 9 months old ... and they go through the Formula like there is no tomorrow.

The tin that I showed in the photo wouldn't last a week.

We do store in a cool place, out of the sun and store the box on the tiles all helping with storage life.

I appreciate you coming back and adding to the thread ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1