TG aircraft recovered from Khon Kaen runway

webfact

TG aircraft recovered from Khon Kaen runway

KHON KAEN, 5 November 2014 (NNT) – Technicians from Thai Airways successfully relocated the aircraft that skidded off the runway at Khon Kaen airport, resuming airport’s operation to normal today.

The team of technicians from Thai Airways International and soldiers from Nam Phong Air Squadron 237 has successfully recovered Thai Airways’ Airbus A330 aircraft that skid off the runway on the 3rd of November 2014 while taxiing at the Khon Kaen airport.

Starting from 4:30pm of 3 November 2014, the aircraft rescue operation took a total of 10 hours. The front landing gear’s tyre was blown out, the team had to remove the soil around it and install the new landing gear tyres in order to move the plane.

The operation was finished an 2:50am. The aircraft has then been towed to an apron in the Khon Kaen airport. Upon inspection, the airport and its navigation system has not been affected by the accident. The airport has resumed its normal operation since 6am.

Every flight bound for and taking off from Khon Kaen has now returned its normal schedule.

The first flight to land in Khon Kaen since this incident is Air Asia’s FD3250 flight from Bangkok’s Don Mueang airport, followed by Thai Smile’s WE0050 flight also from Don Mueang airport. However Nok Air’s DD9806 flight for today will be diverted to Udon Thani airport instead.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-05 footer_n.gif

It skidded off the runway whilst taxiing?

That's a new one. The pilot must have been going for the taxiing Guiness Book of Records speed record.

Handbrake turn doesn't quite work in an A330. cheesy.gif

Edited by Commerce

Khon Kaen Airport's runway open for flights
The Nation

30247045-01_big.jpg

KHON KAEN: -- Khon Kaen Airport's runway has begun normal operations since early yesterday morning after a Thai Airways aircraft, whose wheels were stuck in the ground, was removed Wednesday.

Flight TG047, bound for Bangkok, veered off the runway while taxiing on Monday. With operations to salvage the Airbus A330 continuing, the airport had been unable to accommodate any landings or takeoffs on Tuesday. The Department of Civil Aviation is investigating the Monday incident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Khon-Kaen-Airports-runway-open-for-flights-30247045.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-05

Khon Kaen Airport resumes service
By Digital Content

14151676946804-640x390x1.jpg

KHON KAEN, Nov 5 -- Khon Kaen Airport reopened this morning as the aircraft which slipped off the runway has been removed.

The Airbus A330 TG047 of Thai Airways International slipped off the runway on Monday and was stuck.

Consequently Khon Kaen airport was closed through yesterday.

Workers' attempts to remove the plane took about 30 hours before achieving success at about 3am today.

The plane was moved away from the runway and was parked within the airport compound pending investigation of the incident.

Airport services resumed after the authorities checked the runway and navigation systems and found nothing wrong with them.

The resumed services began with the landings of Thai AirAsia and Thai Smile flights at 8am and 8.05am. The first takeoff from Khon Kaen to Bangkok occurred at 8.45am.

Airport director Atthaya Lapmak said the nose tire of the plane was ruptured but it was not yet determined if the damage happened before or after the plane went off the runway. The body of the plane remains intact.

Meanwhile, Chiang Mai airport workers are trying hard to collect used sky lanterns that are falling onto the airport due to the Loy Krathong festival.

Chiang Mai airport director Visoot Chanthana said although the authorities were asking people to take careful consideration on releasing sky lanterns to prevent adverse impacts on aviation, the number of such lanterns falling into the airport was increasing.

Airport staff collected more than 100 sky lanterns in the past 3-4 years, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-05

That's a new one. The pilot must have been going for the taxiing Guiness Book of Records speed record.

Usual pi55 poor reporting.

Usual pi55 poor reporting.

...and posting.

• Like 2

Wonder if the taxi was for a take off? They often pass the hold line if already clear and then start the throttle up as they turn onto the active runway and add more throttle as they get straight - to much throttle up could have pushed the nose gear rather then turning. Hot dogging it bit to much maybe? Check the voice recorder and see if someone doesn't say " ah s--- " one hundred atta boy points to be awarded.

Wonder if the taxi was for a take off? They often pass the hold line if already clear and then start the throttle up as they turn onto the active runway and add more throttle as they get straight - to much throttle up could have pushed the nose gear rather then turning. Hot dogging it bit to much maybe? Check the voice recorder and see if someone doesn't say " ah s--- " one hundred atta boy points to be awarded.

What a load of rubbish. You obviously know nothing about flying. I take it you have not read my post on the other thread?

Too much throttle you suggest could push the nose gear side ways!

The undercarriage steering is controlled by the rudder pedals and designed for any thrust imposed on them.

It is amazing where armchair experts come from to,comment on such incidents.

• Like 1

What a load of rubbish. You obviously know nothing about flying. I take it you have not read my post on the other thread?

The undercarriage steering is controlled by the rudder pedals and designed for any thrust imposed on them.

I believe that the A330 also has a tiller for steering

• Like 2

And 3 masts with sails just like a tall ship. And some toilets with lots of paper.

• Like 1

And 3 masts with sails just like a tall ship. And some toilets with lots of paper.

I suppose that is meant to be funny ?? What device do you suggest for tight turns in a heavy jet ?

IIRC that airport doesn't have parallel taxi strips? The planes have to make a u-turn at the end of the runway? Correct me if I'm wrong.

To make a sharp left turn as in u-turn you'd use power only on the right engine, turn the nose gear, apply brakes to the left main gear and more or less rotate around the left main gear. If the turn needed was sharp enough, you could reverse thrust on the left engine if that plane has the ability to reverse just one engine.

Someone screwed up.

Edited by NeverSure

I suppose that is meant to be funny ?? What device do you suggest for tight turns in a heavy jet ?

I think it's called....... a ...... TILLER! thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Taxi accidents such as this are somewhat rare but can happen despite the best care taken. I remember an incident I was a crewmember on years ago, the runway we had just landed on was damp due to an earlier rainfall. We were taxiing to the end of the runway to exit there, and were moving at just about a fast walking speed when the pilot applied the brakes as we crossed the painted runway numbers. We were below the threshold speed for anti-skid operation and the aircraft skidded and before it could be stopped the nose gear ended up just off the surface of the runway. No damage to anything other than our egos but was a lesson learned. The point is it can happen and I don't see any specifics with this so it's impossible to say just what the cause was.

Edited by mutha289
  • Like 1

A330-900neo will have dual string control, developed from that used on high performance sports kites. Of course, that's dual string control in a dual cockpit; some aviation experts have expressed concern at the pilot workload and possible havoc associated with four active strings, particularly during phases of re-winding. However, Airbus has stated that advanced kite training and follow-up will be available to all operators of A330neo.

Edited by aboctok

Thats not a Tiller, its a Joy stick. But its not the one the pilot had in his hand when this little problem occurred

Entirely too many stupid ( supposedly funny) and ill-informed posts on here. I posted earlier about steering the A330 with the tiller but was uncertain regarding the A330 tiller, since most of my knowledge is either military or Boeing. I did the research and the A330 tiller is located to the fuselage side of the sidestick (the proper name for the "joystick'), for both Captain and FO.

If you want some more details of the incident, go to Aviation Herald at http://avherald.com/h?article=47ccaba9&opt=0 . There are photos there also.

It appears ( reasonable speculation) that the crew did a starboard turn to effect their U-turn at the end of the backtrack on Runway 21, and then tried to line up on the runway edge lights, believing that they were the centreline lights. However, there are no centreline lights on the Khon Kaen runway, and the widened portion ofrunway to allow turnaround is on the port side.

It then appears ( pure speculation) that they added thrust, to try to 'gun' their way out if the gumbo. This would be an absolute NO NO; any time you slip of the runway, you shut it down immediately before you do more damage.

If it's in full swing again and back to normal Why would Nok still be diverting ????? to Udon

Didn't get the memo

Saw at the end of the topic detail that NOK were still diverting their incoming flight----All I posted was WHY

If it's in full swing again and back to normal Why would Nok still be diverting ????? to Udon

Didn't get the memo

Saw at the end of the topic detail that NOK were still diverting their incoming flight----All I posted was WHY

I expect that it was merely logistics. Having transferred everything to Udorn, it takes a little while to turn it all around again. Before they start Khon Kaen service again, they will want to be sure that passengers, crews, ground crews, buses, passenger families, cleaners, caterers, honey wagons and everything have ample notice that it is happening.

I'm not au fait with techniques for recovering aircraft that have dug their nose into the grass.

But is it normal procedure to prop up the rear of the plane with a pile of 'it-bok' cement bricks, as Webfact's picture seems to show?

The plane didn't crash. It blew a front (steering) tire while doing a u-turn at the end of the runway. Stuff happens. Stop bashing.

Is this a complaint about Thai bashing ? Pilots everywhere make mistakes sometimes, and hopefully no injuries or deaths occur. We have no knowledge of the nationalities of the flight crew - so who is being bashed?? If a tire (or both tires as claimed) blew, the loud bang would cause the pilots to immediately shutdown, and not proceed more than 10 meters into the mud.

Edited by tigermonkey