Thai student 'shot by those who killed her dad'

webfact

SOUTHERN INSURGENCY
Student 'shot by those who killed her dad'

Santhiti Koejitmet,
Narong Nuansakul
The Nation

30247086-01_big.jpg

'Insurgent riding pillion on bike fired at 20-year-old uni student in Narathiwat

NARATHIWAT: -- THE GUNMAN who fatally shot a 20-year-old university student in the South on Sunday might have come from the same group that killed her father in 2006, an informed source reported yesterday.

Suthida Tangjai, a sophomore at Princess of Naradhiwas University (PNU) had been in a coma since she was shot in the back of the head in Narathiwat's Muang district. She was pronounced dead at Narathiwat Hospital yesterday at 6am.

A national security source in the region said an initial examination found that the spent 9mm bullets did not match any from persons of interest in the sub-district and that it was suspected the group that shot Suthida was from the same group that shot dead her father in 2006. Believing that she might have been targeted by insurgents, officers investigated a lead that some youngsters on a motorcycle had been seen circulating suspiciously near the victim's house area ever since her father was killed. Police have summoned eyewitnesses to describe the attackers, the source said.

Suthida and three friends were travelling on two motorcycles when two men on a motorcycle approached and the pillion rider opened fire at them with a handgun on Sunday. Suthida remained in a coma at Narathiwat Hospital's Intensive Care Unit and then was pronounced dead.

Hundreds of people, including university staff and students and provincial governor's deputies Supanat Sirantawineti and Sitthichai Sakda attended her bathing rites at Wat Bang Po. Sitthichai also presented the family with Bt500,000 in assistance money.

University representatives and military, police and civilian units yesterday morning discussed security measures for students and teachers travelling to and from the university, to prevent a similar tragedy.

PNU rector Jongrak Plasai said this case had shaken people's morale and reflected the indiscriminate violence against people, including unarmed and innocent students.

Bomb defused

An Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team led by Police Captain Anan Yanpaisan yesterday morning defused a 25kg home-made bomb, planted at the entrance to the Tambon Tohdeng Administrative Organisation's office in Narathiwat's Sungai Padi district. The bomb was suspected to have targeted security officers who would regularly set up a mobile checkpoint in the area.

Two young men were seen at the spot earlier in the morning but no one paid attention until a group of sewer-digging workers spotted the bomb and alerted police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Student-shot-by-those-who-killed-her-dad-30247086.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-06

• Like 1

Very sad indeed, let's hope that an end to the violence in the south can be found.

The people who do this see themselves at being at war, as such they try to justify civilian casualties in much the same way that the USA justify civilian casualties in countries that they bomb and send drones.

• Like 2

RIP young one! wai.gif

this I don't understand. Her father was killed 8 years ago and they say

"officers investigated a lead that some youngsters on a motorcycle had

been seen circulating suspiciously near the victim's house area ever since her father was killed."

Youngsters had been seen circulating for 8 years??? I know I just woke up, but am I dreaming? blink.png

"A national security source in the region said an initial examination found that the spent 9mm bullets did not match any from persons of interest in the sub-district and that it was suspected the group that shot Suthida was from the same group that shot dead her father in 2006."

Is there actually any evidence for this or just supposition?

Personally.

I hope the exact same thing happens to these people.

I hope they have their families removed in equally horrific circumstances.

Then I hope they roast in hell for eternity.

I think you should face the most likely scenario that these people will never face justice.

IMHO, the Thai govt. should be looking at negotiating a settlement of autonomy or even giving provinces to them to set up their own country or rejoin Malaysia.

In that case, all will be forgiven.

Otherwise, the killing will continue. Tit-for-tat. The innocent carrying the greater burden.

As for hell? Doesn't exist. A fairytale meant to scare children.

I agree with giving them autonomy or the 3 provinces as a separate state, but it won't happen.

I disagree with the tit-for-tat. It is all tat or tit, but not tit-for-tat. The violence is all one sided down there.

Heroes of the liberation revolution ?

What possible excuse could there be for coming up behind a young girl and shooting her in the back of the head ?

No doubt these animals will be congratulating each other on a great blow for whatever it is the believe in, or is it just that they wanted to kill someone and picked on a defenceless target.

And there are those who make excuses, the army did this the Govt did that, absolutely sickening.

Probably the same excused the 60 years old guy had last week when he calmly got off his bike and

point blank blew off the other guy head in broad day light with many on lookers,

These are deranged, mentally disturbed people, with no ability to tell right from wrong and giving

to their primal urges to act in the heat of the moment and the hell with the consequences....

I cant see how this killing was a spur of the moment thing, two of them deliberately came up behind her and shot her.

Certainly deranged, or possibly brainwashed, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse for a deliberate murder.

Insurgents? What does that mean? The people from the religion of Compassion, Peace and Tolerance; the same ones who shoot young girls in Afghanistan? or ... are they political dissidents?

AND ,,, Why would the "people of interest" in the 2006 murder of the girl's father continue to be "people of interest" in 2014? What does that mean?

• Like 1

Insurgents? What does that mean? The people from the religion of Compassion, Peace and Tolerance; the same ones who shoot young girls in Afghanistan? or ... are they political dissidents?

AND ,,, Why would the "people of interest" in the 2006 murder of the girl's father continue to be "people of interest" in 2014? What does that mean?

Discussions like this one always end up going on about religion, but this is mostly a territorial dispute and one where both sides of the dispute have some valid points.

You are of course having a go at Muslims and the islamic faith, but when you do that just be aware that pro-rata Muslims are statistically no more likely to be extremists (terrorists, insurgents, freedom fighters, resistance or whatever you want to call them) than than many other religions.

By far the vast majority of people in the world are peaceful, and Muslims are no different to the majority of people in the world. The number of Muslims who support violence is very small indeed. Remember it's minority groups and governments that cause the worlds problems, not the people.

For the record I'm not a Muslim myself, but I'm sick of the Islamophobia that is propagated by the mass media.

Edited by technologybytes
  • Like 1

It seems like any shooting in the south is automatically attributed to insurgents. maybe another theory could be that it was committed by a fellow student who was knocked back back by this girl...maybe thinking that if he couldn't have her....no one else could" ????

• Like 1

I agree with giving them autonomy or the 3 provinces as a separate state, but it won't happen.

I disagree with the tit-for-tat. It is all tat or tit, but not tit-for-tat. The violence is all one sided down there.

Not me, for several reasons:
1 Abandon loosely to violence is a defeat of law and justice.
2 You condemn non-Muslims living in the south to a life of extreme sufferance
3 These crimes are only the result of a few, fortunately.
4 When they will gained activists strong their success would hasten to continue their criminal activities with the same claims on neighboring territories.
I believe instead that the country should enjoy the military regime to find the culprits with more resources and punish them very heavily. I also think they could restrict freedom of worship in the cities that we saw attacks and wherever Muslims have attempted to impose their barbarity.

Personally.

I think you should face the most likely scenario that these people will never face justice.

IMHO, the Thai govt. should be looking at negotiating a settlement of autonomy or even giving provinces to them to set up their own country or rejoin Malaysia.

Otherwise, the killing will continue. Tit-for-tat. The innocent carrying the greater burden.

From the beginning I've been suspicious of the official designation of the attackers as "separatists." If this is an insurgent group, they don't behave like other insurgent groups in the past. They don't behave like the Chinese Communist Party before 1949. They don't behave like the Malay Communist Party during the Emergency. They don't behave like the Viet Minh or the Viet Cong. They don't behave like the Greek Communist Party during the insurrection in the 1940s.

If these people are trying to get an independent state, where are the propaganda leaflets? Is the Thai government so competent they are able to sweep them all up? During the last 10 years has there been no opportunity for some opposition newspaper/magazine/TV station to make public the demands they announce? Is travelling in Thailand so difficult because of roadblocks that they can't set off bombs anyplace but the southern provinces? That's very weird. There was a commission headed by former Prme Minister Anand, which concluded that at least some of the violence was done by drug gangs fighting for territory, and some of the rest was ordinary businessmen doing the same. I don't know why I am so suspicious, but I don't think this is actually "separatists," and possibly not even muslims committing the violence.

• Like 2

RIP young one! wai.gif

been seen circulating suspiciously near the victim's house area ever since her father was killed."

Youngsters had been seen circulating for 8 years??? I know I just woke up, but am I dreaming? blink.png

You're not dreaming - just think of it like this - Royal Thai Police farce investigation expertise and professionalism, further mangled by lazy incompetent Thai journalists.... get the picture?

Personally.

Well it sounds nice. But Malaysia doesn't want them and who in their right mind would want a country run by lunatics like them for a neighbor?

• Like 1

RIP young one! wai.gif

You're not dreaming - just think of it like this - Royal Thai Police farce investigation expertise and professionalism, further mangled by lazy incompetent Thai journalists.... get the picture?

Why are you being so kind to the journalists? Those are there good points.

I am glad to see so many people speaking out against their terrorism. Generally there is about 9 or 10 posts and then it disappears.

In my opinion the PTP blew it big time when Yingluck went down there. With some effort on her part she could have won over the citizens and taken away a lot of the support for the terrorists. But she had to many shopping centers to conquer and photo ops to make.

Negotiating with burned out old men is not going to help one bit. Hopefully the new government will figure that out.wai.gif

Heroes of the liberation revolution ?

What possible excuse could there be for coming up behind a young girl and shooting her in the back of the head ?

No doubt these animals will be congratulating each other on a great blow for whatever it is the believe in, or is it just that they wanted to kill someone and picked on a defenceless target.

And there are those who make excuses, the army did this the Govt did that, absolutely sickening.

Probably the same excused the 60 years old guy had last week when he calmly got off his bike and

point blank blew off the other guy head in broad day light with many on lookers,

These are deranged, mentally disturbed people, with no ability to tell right from wrong and giving

to their primal urges to act in the heat of the moment and the hell with the consequences....

This was premeditated, not a heat of the moment thing. He had obviously been waiting for an opportune moment. A right evil low life and not worth a light.

Edited by Anon999

I must have missed something.

What was the motive? Why was her father killed? Who are these people? They say they were the same people, what people? Nobody has mentioned this that I read and it seems kinda strange to me.

Is this down South? Is it a Muslim thing (someone mentioned religion)?

Edited by Whidbeyboy

Discussions like this one always end up going on about religion, but this is mostly a territorial dispute and one where both sides of the dispute have some valid points.

You are of course having a go at Muslims and the islamic faith, but when you do that just be aware that pro-rata Muslims are statistically no more likely to be extremists (terrorists, insurgents, freedom fighters, resistance or whatever you want to call them) than than many other religions.

By far the vast majority of people in the world are peaceful, and Muslims are no different to the majority of people in the world. The number of Muslims who support violence is very small indeed. Remember it's minority groups and governments that cause the worlds problems, not the people.

For the record I'm not a Muslim myself, but I'm sick of the Islamophobia that is propagated by the mass media.

As the saying goes Most Muslims are not terrorist but most terrorists are Muslims, go figure

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well said …. However

I lived (with residence and work permit) in Iran, Morocco and Malaysia, plus I spent 15 years in and out of Saudi, Kuwait, Qatar and the UAE for my business. I have met the good, the hypocrites, and those who hate non believers. There are some Muslims who are dear to me and some I really hate.

So I am not an Islam basher. I just think it is time to come out of denial.

I saw French speaking North Africans going in and out of non tourist areas in Malaysia, a country where where arranged marriages and FGM are practiced but officially denied. Islamist have a stronghold in many rural parts of Malaysia. That’s a fact. A Turkish friend (an Imam and a good man) confirmed all of this on his visit.

Islamist are people who believe Islam should be politicized and Sharia Law should be implemented world-wide

It is estimated 17-23 million Muslims are Islamist (a minority but still a lot of people)

Islamophobia. A phobia is an irrational fear.

- Islamist killed almost 3,000 people on 9/11 in the USA.

- Four Islamists detonated four bombs—London Underground trains across the city and, later, a fourth on a double-decker killing 52 civilians and over 700 more were injured.

- The Madrid train bombings killed 191 people and injured 1,800 people.

- Islamist (Taliban) stopped a school van and shot a 14 year old girl, Malala, in the head.

- ISIS is sweeping through Iraq and Syria with vicious massacres, beheading, and rape as well as sex slavery of women who do not follow Sunni doctrine s they interpret it. Many are expats who will return to their homeland.

- Pakistan are intolerant of Christians and recently burned two Christians alive.

- Nigeria's Boco Haram .... murder, rape and slavery.

I can go on and on with examples but it's in the news.

Phobia? Not likely. Islamic fundamentalists (Islamist) are a Clear and Present Danger everywhere in the world. They do not respect the life of non-believers and as far as this news story goes... the murderers of this young girl are fighting a Jihad or they are psychopaths or both. To deny this is on our border is like inviting a vampire into your house.

Nostalgia – Imagine if we had the psycho-babble labels during the 1980-81 IRA bombings in London, (they were close to my office). How about Eire-o-phobia. Or when ETA bombed one of my favorite restaurants just outside Madrid. Phobia-del-ETA.