Thai PM considering lifting martial law in some areas

webfact

Thai PM considering lifting martial law in some areas
Reuters

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is ready to consider lifting martial law in some parts of the country to help boost a struggling tourism sector and economy, Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krue-ngam said on Thursday.

Thailand’s army imposed martial law nationwide in May, days before it took power in a coup that it said was necessary to end months of at times violent street protests aimed at ousting Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Tourism operators have repeatedly urged the government to scrap the law to restore the country’s image as a trouble-free holiday destination and bolster tourist arrivals which dropped 7 percent in September from a year earlier.

The tourism sector, which accounts for nearly 10 percent of the economy, suffered its biggest fall in June, a month after the military took power.

Prayut last month dismissed calls by tourism operators to lift martial law, citing the danger of trouble-makers disrupting his efforts to promote political reconciliation.

But Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krue-ngam told reporters the prime minister was reassessing his stand.

"The prime minister is ready to consider lifting martial law in some areas of the country," said Wisanu.

"We might be able to lift the law in some provinces and use other laws instead to control the situation."

Wisanu did not give a time frame for when the law would be lifted.

"The government will consider this when the time is right... to help the economy and tourism."

Martial law puts national security in the hands ofthe military and gives it sweeping powers. It also bars political gatherings of more than five people.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Thai-PM-considering-lifting-martial-law-in-some-ar-30247136.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-06

Someone's going to get his wrist slapped. Only yesterday;

Martial law still on across Thailand

5 November 2014

The Thai government has no plans yet to lift martial law imposed nationwide since last May, even during the 4th Asian Beach Games which will be held in Phuket on Nov 14 to 23.

"No, (we) have yet to talk about it," said Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha when asked by the media whether the government had plans to lift the martial law.

He made the remark after meeting at the Government House with Thailand's athletes, coaches and staff who will be participating in the Asian Beach Games.

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/1218801

• Like 1

How about relaxing the laws for tourists in Udon to start with.

Last week in Nutty park bars all closed 11.45pm so Farangs go home but the Thais kick on to Mr Tongs and Tawang Deng both opened till 2am and full of would be shirt lifters and red shirts in the future, respectively.

Prayuth cannot see the wood for the trees. One law for them and another law for ?

Macanello

How about relaxing the laws for tourists in Udon to start with.

Last week in Nutty park bars all closed 11.45pm so Farangs go home but the Thais kick on to Mr Tongs and Tawang Deng both opened till 2am and full of would be shirt lifters and red shirts in the future, respectively.

Prayuth cannot see the wood for the trees. One law for them and another law for ?

Macanello

Why not join the Thais at Mr Tongs and Tawang Deng??

Or are they for darkskinned people only??whistling.gif

• Like 2

Govt may lift martial law in certain provinces
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said yesterday that the government would consider lifting martial law in some provinces to boost the country's economic recovery and bring back tourists.

Financial authorities have predicted a gloomy economic outlook for Thailand, with gross domestic product projected to grow by no more than 1.5 per cent this year.

Wissanu also cited the government's policy address to Parliament on August 12 that said martial law would be lifted when the time was right.

"The issue here is how we are going to revoke or relax martial law to create a good atmosphere for reform and reconciliation," he said.

For instance, he said, if martial law had 10 regulations, then the government might ease restrictions by only imposing two or three rules in some provinces.

He said martial law might not be necessary because the government has other measures in place that can be used, such as the emergency decree, national-security laws and the criminal code.

Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda agreed with Wissanu, saying there were no political undercurrents that might delay the lifting of the law. He said he had not heard of any major political activities after the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship threatened to stage a protest rally if its opponent, the People's Democratic Reform Committee, continues pushing the National Legislative Assembly to impeach Yingluck Shinawatra, the elected prime minister overthrown by the military in May.

Yingluck faces impeachment over her alleged failure to stem graft in the loss-making rice-pledging scheme.

Finance Ministry permanent secretary Rangsan Srivorasart said the total loss from the subsidy programme could be estimated at about Bt500 billion, though this number could be brought down if the government is able to sell stored rice at a good price.

The ministry will submit a final report on the stockpiled rice to the Cabinet by the middle of this month.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Govt-may-lift-martial-law-in-certain-provinces-30247186.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-07

in other words, remove the troops where they are actually accomplishing something.

Not sure of the point you're trying to make, but here around Korat, there's no Army to be seen, the only times I've seen them man checkpoints is when it goes from one region to another.

There's no patrols on the roads or in the rural villages either.

I'd go as far as saying the Army presence is NO different to what it was 12 months ago even 24 months ago, and I'm entering my 3rd year here.

Don't know too much about other "troubled areas" with their military presence but from my travels I see more soldiers waiting at bus stations than out keeping peace and order! ?

What I did see for the first time and for my wife too who has lived here all her life, was a very large "immigration" checkpoint last week, set up outside one if the large factories, pulling over vehicles that exited the place.

• Like 1

have just been reading a book by Terry Pratchet and liked this paragraph

He was a wicked man tho not I think as wicked as L, for she says she wants to make it a Magic Kingdom, a Happy and Peaseful place, and wen people do that look out for Spies on every corner and no manne dare speak out, for who dare speke out against Evile done in the name of Happyness and Pease? All the Streetes are clean and Axes are sharp.

Terry Pratchett (1991-12-02 15:00:00+07:00). Book 12 - Witches Abroad (Kindle Locations 1326-1328). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.