What New Skills Have You Acquired In Thailand?

eldragon

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry cant think of any skills that can be acquired here and not anywhere cell in the world nothing of any meaning or use

what do you have in mind just in case i am missing the point

draftvader gets it.

Aaaaah, another Thai-bashing thread, masquerading as a question. You're acquiring a reputation, eldragon, that of a serial basher.

Really? I'm usually pretty careful to make objective statements. "Many Thais" vs "Thais." Etc. But thanks for the heads up.

In all honesty, I was thinking about stuff along the lines of washing clothing by hand. But draftvader cracked me up. Sorry.

I don't think equivocating makes a statement objective. It increases the chances of it being correct in the sense that the vast majority of unqualified statements are false, but does nothing for objectivity. Really it makes it more subjective, as we are free to come up with our own definition of "many" to influence the validity of the statement.

Edited by cocopops
  • Like 2

Tolerate TV grammar nazi´s that have nothing better to do with their time.

Laugh at TV Grammar nazi´s, who whne their point is disporiven or disagreed with come up with the usual drivel "your gramamr is terrible / learn to spell"

all while being oblivious to the fact not everyone one here is a native English speaker.

Edited by Derek J M

Tolerate TV grammar nazi´s that have nothing better to do with their time.

Laugh at TV Grammar nazi´s, who whne their point is disporiven or disagreed with come up with the usual drivel "your gramamr is terrible / learn to spell"

all while being oblivious to the fact not everyone one here is a native English speaker.

Silence....silence....

how to dodge those pesky tailor salesmen on Pattaya beach road

Why dodge them just walk through them....they move...laugh.png

Indeed. Years ago on a visit to Pattaya a tailor tout lounging on a car jumped in front of me as I passed. Never even slowed down; walked right through him and knocked him on his butt on the sidewalk. Could barely contain my laughter as I helped him up and apologized profusely for not seeing him in my way.laugh.png As for new skills? Hmm. Extreme patience. Laughing at adversity. Expecting anything and nothing. Making myself understood in Thainglish. Fending off bar girls. Defensive driving. Faking a smile. Ahhh...too many to list.

I can spot a ladyboy from 100 meters

Man ... you are better then me.

I even ask my Thai Partner, MissFarmGirl ... sometimes she has no idea either ... rolleyes.gif

David,

my i remind you that you have acquired the skill "two birds with one stone" "two boys with one shot"?

laugh.png

• Like 1

i have broadened my English knowledge in various ways. besides the one i already mentioned i learned that i am a looser when i have lose motions due to too much prikh nam pla or loose to much money when investing. however, my arrogant English language native speaking wife claims that my acquired knowledge is deplorable... vhatever zat means in a langvitch i master.

ermm.gif

seriously though, patience would be number one without a doubt.

Maneuvering a problem so that the solution appears to come from the person who caused it in the first place.

Never judge a book by it's cover. There have been certain things happen here that I have thought to be very different to what they actually were. (My apologies to the foreigner in Pattaya walking on Beach Road with his 12 year old Thai son) Although that happened 17 years ago, it was a life changer...............wai.gif

Work in progress, telling the beautiful girls from the blokes in skirts.

I'd be interested to hear the details of this life changing experience.

sorry cant think of any skills that can be acquired here and not anywhere cell in the world nothing of any meaning or use

draftvader gets it.

Aaaaah, another Thai-bashing thread, masquerading as a question. You're acquiring a reputation, eldragon, that of a serial basher.

Really? I'm usually pretty careful to make objective statements. "Many Thais" vs "Thais." Etc. But thanks for the heads up.

In all honesty, I was thinking about stuff along the lines of washing clothing by hand. But draftvader cracked me up. Sorry.

I don't think equivocating makes a statement objective. It increases the chances of it being correct in the sense that the vast majority of unqualified statements are false, but does nothing for objectivity. Really it makes it more subjective, as we are free to come up with our own definition of "many" to influence the validity of the statement.

Fair enough. I guess I'm really just trying to communicate "not all". And when I say things like "Thais think differently," I really mean just that. I'm not saying all Thais are stupid or shady or anything like that. Thais have different values. They're a little more tolerant of people's shit lines. Etc. I should probably reign it in a bit though.

draftvader gets it.

Fair enough. I guess I'm really just trying to communicate "not all". And when I say things like "Thais think differently," I really mean just that. I'm not saying all Thais are stupid or shady or anything like that. Thais have different values. They're a little more tolerant of people's shit lines. Etc. I should probably reign it in a bit though.

stop apologizing to the PC brigade, there is nothing wrong with being you,who cares what anyone thinks,anyway the OP asked for a set of humorous posts with the question alone

• Like 1

I learned to become a school teacher, I only had secondary school education back in Scotland, and left school at sixteen to start an apprenticeship which I was not interested in, all I was interested in was playing football and guitars, and all my adult lifetime till I came to Thailand to stay, I worked as a professional, or semi professional musician among other things, but never manual work.

I did not come to Thailand to teach English, but was persuaded to come to a classroom where a Farang was teaching by the school head mistress after playing with a local band at an English camp, I kept on going to the school to work voluntary and enjoyed it, and was advised to go on a teacher training course in Bangkok.

I graduated successfully and was a teacher for the next three years, but then lost my job with a combination of the two year rule, and a Philipina teacher working for less pay.

I have learnt how to be a man and I am now a much better person than the man child that existed back home in mummy and daddy's house around 7 odd years now

I have also recently discovered how easy it is to open a bottle of beer with a spoon

I have learnt to be calmer in the face of provocation

I have never been provoked by any Thai in a personal way, although two farangs have come close to a very sore face.

New skills acquired in Thailand ..... whistling.gif

Being able to avoid talking to or taking ....

an indian who says ' would you like to buy a watch '

any thai girl who says ' handsome man come here '

any nigerian.

jetski's for hire.

taxis that look like crap.

street stall food.

motorbike taxis who look like they have been on the booze all night.

Ok sure, I can play this game. What new skills have I acquired in Thailand?

I can now spot a deadbeat, lowlife, good-for-nothing farang just from the constant negativity and irrational hatred of Thailand in nearly all of their posts.

A useful skill, actually.

I bet u cant!!

Seriously Mr Berkshire, although the way you stick up for Thai people is very admirable, I would think my admiration for Thailand, and the Thai people is well known on this forum, as I always go on about most Thai people being decent and honest, but surely you must see that there is a lot of low intelligence among a lot of them.

Thailand, like other countries has it's positives and negatives, but the positives far outweigh the negatives here, compared to the UK, although I don't know about the US, and I always call things as I see them.