My Loi Krathong story.

Costas2008

Call me a boring old fart with a considerate wife. She gave me the option and after declining trotted off with a krathong and the 2 kids for a couple of hours at the local festivities. For me a nice break staying in the A/C catching up on an episode of Sherlock with some cheese and crackers and a red wine (albiet, a cheap Aussie red). A very pleasant evening.

Stuff " The Lanterns " I would love some " Cheese & Crackers " with any Aussie wine! Living on 6,000 baht a month ( inc rent ) I can't afford these mouth watering delights......

Excellent!

F.J x

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Call me a boring old fart with a considerate wife. She gave me the option and after declining trotted off with a krathong and the 2 kids for a couple of hours at the local festivities. For me a nice break staying in the A/C catching up on an episode of Sherlock with some cheese and crackers and a red wine (albiet, a cheap Aussie red). A very pleasant evening.

Stuff " The Lanterns " I would love some " Cheese & Crackers " with any Aussie wine! Living on 6,000 baht a month ( inc rent ) I can't afford these mouth watering delights......

Excellent!

F.J x

6000 baht a month? Hardly call that living, existing maybe.

Unfortunately If you are going to have a relationship with a Thai lady then this is all part of " The Loving Relationship " Although it sounds like you are " paying for everything " in your relationship? if so " why " ? I would of not gone in a car to drive 3 KM down the road!! why not walk? take a torch,i appreciate that some of the roads are not good but really driving 3 KM especially with the amount of cars and people about when you could of walked! ( and so much more " romantic " ... ) wub.png

In my experience not many Thai ladies like to walk much further than 100 meters these days especially when a car is available.

3Km!! -Perish the thought!!

• Like 2

you will find yourself doing this more and more as you get older, but it becomes much more pleasant as you proceed.

Unfortunately If you are going to have a relationship with a Thai lady then this is all part of " The Loving Relationship " Although it sounds like you are " paying for everything " in your relationship? if so " why " ? I would of not gone in a car to drive 3 KM down the road!! why not walk? take a torch,i appreciate that some of the roads are not good but really driving 3 KM especially with the amount of cars and people about when you could of walked! ( and so much more " romantic " ... ) wub.png

I guess it's way out of your budget really.

• Like 2

In my experience not many Thai ladies like to walk much further than 100 meters these days especially when a car is available.

3Km!! -Perish the thought!!

Correction: 50 metres is more like it. They'll take the m/bike from shop to shop, rather than park it and walk.

• Like 2

dude you sound old as faawwwkk. or just boring lol.

True, but anyone who reads a starting sentence with words like "dude" and writing "faawwwkk" will think you're 15 or something.

You are right, he does sound a bit old, but it was an entertaining story and I doubt many people would have had that patience, I sure don't. Then again I am getting on and a bit boring wink.png

Edited by Hawkman

True, but anyone who reads a starting sentence with words like "dude" and writing "faawwwkk" will think you're 15 or something.

You are right, he does sound a bit old, but it was an entertaining story and I doubt many people would have had that patience, I sure don't. Then again I am getting on and a bit boring wink.png

Yea dude - I also don't have the patience either.....x

• Like 1

i was (so i thought) going to pop along to Benjasiri Park, with my camera, right by, Phom Phong bts, bad move, the sky walk was packed solid,- the stairwell was virtually impassable, so hey ho, me and queues just dont get on, so into the Robin Hood, next the Royal Oak and into the Dubliner for a nice live band, so i did not see one lantern, but had a dam good time.

• Like 2

i was (so i thought) going to pop along to Benjasiri Park, with my camera, right by, Phom Phong bts, bad move, the sky walk was packed solid,- the stairwell was virtually impassable, so hey ho, me and queues just dont get on, so into the Robin Hood, next the Royal Oak and into the Dubliner for a nice live band, so i did not see one lantern, but had a dam good time.

Benjasiri Park would have been a fab place to take some great photos! An unusual but great park! I know it well!

F.J x

I had a much different experience, I drove up to the big lot with a stage set up across the street from my wife's work, found a parking spot 10 meters from the gate, found my wife and her department sitting in chairs in the first row, 10m from the stage, next to the big bosses couch, we were 10 of the 500 or so people with real chairs, people brought me water, we watched the performances, a woman gave us a big loi krathong for free, we took photos, lit it and put it in the lake and drove home and had sex.

• Like 2

After a hectic week of hosting we took our friends to Narowat Bridge in CM...parked about 300 meters away from the danger zones.....walked to an early huge dinner & drinks (girls ate again in about an hour - how can they do that?) at the Duke's waiting for the sun to lower - we lofted a few lanterns - said a prayer at the riverbank as the floats were lit and pushed out.....launched a few more lanterns and watched people, lanterns, and fireworks while listening to the music from the stages...... seemed pretty tame people wise........I had planned our in and escape and it worked out well - wife thought of a mid flight change (spelled disaster) but I kept to the plan....

Walked back to the car and were home in Hang Dong in less than a half and hour.......after we got home we put candles around the fences and yard.....

Went much more smoothly than the night before when they decided to visit someone and were were stuck in traffic for 2 hours and covered about 4 K's before I suggested we try it another time...by that time the wive's enthusiasm for the visit had waned and found a plan "B"........

Put them on the plane back to Denmark today - whew - after 5 days activities and 1400 K driving (me)/hosting(us)......

All women turn into CEO's when you get hitched with them and you are merely the hard working Panak Narn (Employee) trying to make ends meet to her satisfaction, you are always wrong (All men are wrong I was told) and hope that one day your leave request will be approved. Until then, keep your timecards and clock in everyday on time and keep her happy.

I don't give a kangaroos fart. After wading through mud, and wading through throngs of happy firework throwing celebrators over the years, I have put my foot down with a firm hand and now my wife sets off with my grandson to float their kratongs without me. They don't have to listen to my moaning and I can have a bit of time contemplating my navel and the future of civilization as we know it. They are happy, and don't have to listen to me saying "I'll whip that kids arse if he takes the five baht from my kratong!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

All women turn into CEO's when you get hitched with them and you are merely the hard working Panak Narn (Employee) trying to make ends meet to her satisfaction, you are always wrong (All men are wrong I was told) and hope that one day your leave request will be approved. Until then, keep your timecards and clock in everyday on time and keep her happy.

Oh, poor poor pitiful you.

Do not underestimate the cultural significance of this Hindu festival the Thais have been so adept to appropriate from the waters of the Ganges

I have an interesting story about an entrepreneurial Thai woman who is actually such an adherent to this Hindu tradition appropriated from the fetid waters of the Ganges that she arranges to float her kratongs with each and every one of her intimates

Well, Costas,...!!!....look at it this way,....now you have a story to tell,....life would be boring without all the story's to tell and the experiences that goes with it......this is Thailand.....we have another life here.....!!!!! I just love it...

By the way,...You did the right thing and made the wife happy.....!!!! witch is the most important.........!!!

Edited by off road pat

Use of "dude" is enough to invalidate any sense of superiority you may have.

You are not a Big Lebowski fan I see. Friends off.

Actually it's a good movie

I am spending some time in the Missus home village for the Loi Krathong Holiday where we have a 2nd Home. We made it to the Temple grounds early in the evening before the impending invasion of Holiday celebrants. We did the customary flower float and lantern, then started to leave. The Temple grounds had the usual type of vendor stalls available. The Missus wanted me to do the dart vs. balloon challenge. 4 darts @ 20 baht. Took aim, used my sidearm technique and 1,2,3,4 popped balloons in a row on the same shelf. Chose a big Man-U pillow for the sofa and then we left the Temple grounds with another couple before 9 PM. We all went into town, chose an outdoor watering hole and consumed adult beverages until 1 AM. We have an enjoyable Loi Khathong every year, as we don't celebrate any Holiday in Bangkok. wai2.gif