Video of row on Skytrain spurs debate

Lite Beer

LIKE IT SHARE IT!
Video of row on Skytrain spurs debate
Kornchanok Raksaseri
@Aim_TH

BANGKOK: -- A video clip of a tomboy engaged in a war of words with a woman who told her to stop kissing and hugging her girlfriend on the Skytrain has received a big reaction from social media users.

It is another discussion on Thai culture, personal rights, privacy and what is acceptable in public.

At the end of the clip, a transexual lady seated nearby helped the woman chase the tomboy and her girlfriend off the train, before the tomboy gestured that she might attack the woman.

On Twitter, @Topazine wrote: "Hey, wait! Blaming someone [for doing this] in public, although the person did something that is against the decent culture, should not be called [the conduct of] a good person."

@pelmosiq said: "So, kissing in public is lewd?"

@fordAntiTrust wrote: "I think the BTS should issue an official announcement - no whispering sweet nothings [on trains] - then announce over speakers on the train that this is a moral compartment. Please don't whisper sweet nothings."

@greentea_pt wrote: "Do we have to announce in schools, temples, hospitals and other places [that this type of behaviour is unacceptable]? Or should it be a manner taught at home?"

@b_sunisa said: "In Thai culture, kissing and hugging in public is not suitable, but it's not illegal. But if you want to bill and coo, why not do it in a private place. Shameless!"

Pheung Natha wrote: "It's not surprising that it would become problematic. Thai society has entered a post-modern [period]. We are in the time of questioning the norms we used to take."

On her Facebook page, the Diary of Toot shared information from two people she claimed were the tomboy's girlfriend and the transsexual, with the duo telling different stories. "Please read this carefully. I'm not saying any of them lied but it's important that we listen to both of the disputed parties because we did not witness the incident and we don't know what happened before that," Toot wrote.

Toot also said: "Please don't talk about sexual preference. It doesn't matter if you are lesbian, gay or straight. Flirting in public is not cool."

Wilairat Aimaiem wrote on Facebook: "Someone asked what I think about the tomboy being verbally attacked on the BTS. I'd like to say, what are you asking me for?

"I wasn't there. But if I have to consider [what happened] from the video clip, I can say briefly that one person lacked conscience, the other had too much morality and then judged all the people … All I know is people cry out to the world, want the world to listen. But they never listen to anyone."

Writer Tomorn Sookprecha wrote: "I don't feel anything about [the incident], but I think this is a case of lacking toleration.

"I'm not saying either of the [parties] lacked something but they both did. It was lacking two-way toleration. Thai society does not practice much on this.

Legal and IT experts expressed different opinions on whether the sharing of the clip was lawful. In the video, faces of the woman, the tomboy and transexual are not shown.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Video-of-row-on-Skytrain-spurs-debate-30247293.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-08

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"@greentea_pt wrote: "Do we have to announce in schools, temples, hospitals and other places [that this type of behaviour is unacceptable]? Or should it be a manner taught at home?""

Or should we accept that people have the right to express their feelings for each other in private and public?

Should we accept that no one has the right to condemn others for doing so?

Should we accept that legal behaviour whether we like it or not is legal and therefore none of our business?

Personally people kissing and "whatevering" in public makes me want to reach for the sick bag, but that's because I'm bitter, cynical and old.

They still have the right to do it though.

Let people express themselves and be who they are.

Hey, I got a very nice skimpy speedo that I swim laps in. Its been so hot some days in BKK that I have had a real hankerin' to just wear that little ol' piece of nylon and my flip-flops as I go about my daily routine.

I was worried it would be taken as impolite to society but your words have given me personal encouragement to let my freak flag fly (as was a popular saying maybe 40 years ago).

Cheers

"@greentea_pt wrote: "Do we have to announce in schools, temples, hospitals and other places [that this type of behaviour is unacceptable]? Or should it be a manner taught at home?""

Or should we accept that people have the right to express their feelings for each other in private and public?

Should we accept that legal behaviour whether we like it or not is legal and therefore none of our business?

Personally people kissing and "whatevering" in public makes me want to reach for the sick bag, but that's because I'm bitter, cynical and old.

Hey, I got a very nice skimpy speedo that I swim laps in. Its been so hot some days in BKK that I have had a real hankerin' to just wear that little ol' piece of nylon and my flip-flops as I go about my daily routine.

I was worried it would be taken as impolite to society but your words have given me personal encouragement to let my freak flag fly (as was a popular saying maybe 40 years ago).

Cheers

And how is that an expression of emotional feeling towards another? After all that is what these people were doing.

Some might say you are deliberately comparing two things that are not alike and are even talking nonsense for reasons of your own.

Not me though.

Ohh...emotional feeling? Is that what you are calling this scene?

About as emotional feeling as two dogs humping.

I was referencing your statement: "Let people express themselves and be who they are." In my Speedo scenario.

• Like 2

Cheers

And how is that an expression of emotional feeling towards another? After all that is what these people were doing. It's not as if they were engaging in sexual foreplay, groping or other sexually provocative behavior or even any type of provocative behavior.

They were kissing in public…."oh no, the sky is falling down".

It's no reason to bawl them out in public and chase them off a train.

That's the moral majority expressing their hate and bigotry.

Wonder if the woman would have complained if it was a man and a woman.

Some might say you are deliberately comparing two things that are not alike and are even talking nonsense for reasons of your own.

Not me though.

I'd appreciate a warning before you do it though, just so I can book an appointment or three with a therapist in advance.

Time and a place for everything; as snogging on public transport can make other passengers feel uncomfortable, best not do it. Not difficult to grasp really.

Yes, but they did nothing wrong and should not have been the treated the way they were.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Cheers

And how is that an expression of emotional feeling towards another? After all that is what these people were doing. It's not as if they were engaging in sexual foreplay, groping or other sexually provocative behavior or even any type of provocative behavior.

They were kissing in public…."oh no, the sky is falling down".

It's no reason to bawl them out in public and chase them off a train.

That's the moral majority expressing their hate and bigotry.

Wonder if the woman would have complained if it was a man and a woman.

Not me though.

I'd appreciate a warning before you do it though, just so I can book an appointment or three with a therapist in advance.

Time and a place for everything; as snogging on public transport can make other passengers feel uncomfortable, best not do it. Not difficult to grasp really.

All those years ago when i first visited LoS on holiday and for years after tourist books advised against overt displays of affection in public and even holding hands could be regarded as offensive. This of course was directed at foreigners.

I have no idea what tourist guides say these days but LoS has changed somewhat although noisy Thai ladies whose every second word is ' darling ' still get disapproving looks and not just from Thais.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a clip [nor wish to do so] of them kissing so I can't say what type of kissing it was,

The clip doesn't show any kissing.

It begins when they've already started their verbal fencing.

Much of the OP is unsupported by the video.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a clip [nor wish to do so] of them kissing so I can't say what type of kissing it was,

The clip doesn't show any kissing.

It begins when they've already started their verbal fencing.

Much of the OP is unsupported by the video.

Kind of thought that might be the case. Cheers for the heads up.

I remember sitting on the skytrain & seeing 2 young student girls standing by the door, making out, very obviously well into each other.

Had to stay on the damn train an extra 4 stops after they got off.

Care to explain why? ?????

This is a case of old Thai Culture vs new Thai Culture. Outside of the city it is looked down on a woman if the man is even holding her closely regardless if they are bf/gf or married even.

In Bangkok it has been changing (probably due to farang influence) to where it is acceptable to be close to a lover or spouse. Kissing in public here is still not acceptable though due to their Culture.

Any man who is married to a woman who is not from a big city here would know this and has had it happen to them or at least has had their wife/gf pull away from them when they first began to be seen in public.

But Culture is changing (especially in Bkk).

Although I have not seen the video (nor do I care to), I have seen this display personally in Bangkok at public places. Although I was unaffected i did notice others turning away or looking down at the display.

As a foreigner I would say (move on! nothing to see her) but looking at it from a Thai point of view I would have to say that the new cultural standards should be respectful to the old ones and not make such a big show of it to insult other Thais.

• Like 1

A peck on the lips vs tongues jammed down each others throats, holding hands vs feeling each other up.

PDA's crossing the line may vary from culture to culture but pretty much everyone knows when the line

is crossed. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I find public nose picking more offensive than this but have never seen anyone intervene or chase people from a train for doing it.

Simple because the interventionists- to- be are all too busy picking their own small noses!!rolleyes.gif

Edited by JOC

Let me try to clarify this even further for you. This was not a public display of affection--that can be accomplished by holding hands or giving a quick peck.

What this was is the more base behavior of sexual desire.

It might have also been intentionally performed to create a stir. I can't speak for Thailand but many of these young Lesbians in the US enjoy this "in your face" aggressive type tactic towards the public at large. Sort of a "yes we are lesbians and we want to shock you".

Since you & I were not there it is impossible to say so there is little point in our continuing said discussion.

As always--the last word is your.

;-)

And I'll take it, cheers.

They were kissing, to make a statement or because of the way feel. However that's it, they are kissing, it's not a crime.

I haven't seen a clip [nor wish to do so] of them kissing so I can't say what type of kissing it was, but the report says they are just kissing, not engaging in sexual foreplay.

I don't like it when it happens, but I also don't like loud people, smokers, people who reek of cigarettes, strong body odours, people drinking alcohol in public, people eating food as they walk along and so on.

Just because I don't like it does not give me the right to force others to stop what they are doing.

If I was in america then I would agree with you; however, I am a guest in a foreign country and the customs of that country appear to take the stand such displays are best not made in public.

Unlike many posters, I did not come to Thailand to tell Thai people they need to change their customs to more closely mirror my own views.

I will leave such things to those who feel its their right--yourself and those who liked your comment.

As I posted earlier, I saw the same type of "affection" taking place between a 60-something year old farang and his young squeeze and he was making quite the show of his...what you consider his emotions...and it put off everyone that was witness in the car. Thais do not feel this behavior is acceptable--which is good enough for me.

And I know I offered you the last word. Apologies.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2