Losing Weight and Skin Elasticity

EmptyHead

Hi, about 3 years ago I too was overweight from eating too many pizzas and burgers and beer binging. I was about the same weight and size as OP. I am 172 cm and at that time weighed 73 kilos. I went an bought a book that I read about online called the TNT diet, which is a low-carb diet plan with an exercise program that lasts anywhere from 3 to 6 months depending on how much you need to lose.

I did it and lost 11 kilos in 3 months. The first month I stuck to it strictly but then as I saw that the weight was really coming off I started allowing myself to go out and drink vodka with Coke zero a few times a week. Wine is ok as well but not beer.

However I was very strict about not eating carbs for the whole 3 months and instead of hitting the gym 3 times a week as the book recommends, I did 4 to make up for my tipples. Cutting out carbs for 3 months can start getting monotonous but on the bright side you never have to starve yourself, you can eat as much veggies, meat and healthy fats like nuts, eggs, natural yogurt etc, as you like. You can even eat cheese but not in huge amounts. Anyway, it worked for me and I've never put the weight back on since but I steer clear of the junk for the most part and I go to the gym 3 times a week, however I still drink a ton of beer most days. It's worth a try.

vodka with coke zero.....

that sounds terrible......vodka without coke and a glass of water on the side.

Or diet coke and whiskey....

What is also a good option is wine mixed 1:4 with soda water. still alcohol, you have something in your hand, you can drink huge glasses in binge amounts, but still not too much alcohol/calories as it comes with so much fluid.

Zero calorie products are not good.

The artificial sweeteners are implicated as carcinogens.

When you consume something that tastes sweet, your body expects that you have taken on some calories.

Your body is clever and soon notes the lack of calories and then various hormones trigger a hunger response.

You can't easily fight your hormones.

An excellent BBC documentary, The truth about food, in 6 parts, shows this perfectly.

Carbohydrates (sugars) are as addictive as cocaine and heroine.

It is easy to say cut out carbs but in practice, not easy to do.

Giving up smoking is easier but giving up a food type is not.

You don't need tobacco but you must have food!

You need fat to transport some vitamins and minerals but the right type of fat.

Avocardos, coconut, eggs, proper olive oil, and animal fat as examples.

In moderation of course.

Trans fat is pure poison as it gives no nutrition but actually blocks some chemical reactions required for proper digestion.

There is a ton of scientific evidence to justify this.

If you need to exercise, do the equivalent of running to catch a bus.

Occasionalle, go flat out but for a very short time and leave it at that.

Finally, we just bought a vibration plate machine (it was very cheap).

The auto setting runs for 11 minutes and it's such fun to use, both my wife and I use it several times a day.

We are gaining muscle and probably bone density.

Weight is staying about the same but the inches round the waist is going down.

In fact I dare say that weight will increase with more bone density and muscle but as long as waist size reduces we are OK.

IMO, The best and easiest way to assess your health risk is the waist to hip ratio.

Waist Circumference divided by Hip Circumference

Waist to Hip Ratio Men Women

Ideal 0.8 0.7

Low Risk <0.95 <0.8

Moderate Risk 0.96-0.99 0.81 - 0.84

High Risk >1.0 >0.85

In other words if your belly is bigger than your hips, you got trouble!

As to what your percentage fat is, use a mirror.

Print the attached picture and use it as your guide.

Good luck

post-155756-0-81938100-1415576703_thumb.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, about 3 years ago I too was overweight from eating too many pizzas and burgers and beer binging. I was about the same weight and size as OP. I am 172 cm and at that time weighed 73 kilos. I went an bought a book that I read about online called the TNT diet, which is a low-carb diet plan with an exercise program that lasts anywhere from 3 to 6 months depending on how much you need to lose.

I did it and lost 11 kilos in 3 months. The first month I stuck to it strictly but then as I saw that the weight was really coming off I started allowing myself to go out and drink vodka with Coke zero a few times a week. Wine is ok as well but not beer.

However I was very strict about not eating carbs for the whole 3 months and instead of hitting the gym 3 times a week as the book recommends, I did 4 to make up for my tipples. Cutting out carbs for 3 months can start getting monotonous but on the bright side you never have to starve yourself, you can eat as much veggies, meat and healthy fats like nuts, eggs, natural yogurt etc, as you like. You can even eat cheese but not in huge amounts. Anyway, it worked for me and I've never put the weight back on since but I steer clear of the junk for the most part and I go to the gym 3 times a week, however I still drink a ton of beer most days. It's worth a try.

What is also a good option is wine mixed 1:4 with soda water. still alcohol, you have something in your hand, you can drink huge glasses in binge amounts, but still not too much alcohol/calories as it comes with so much fluid.

Zero calorie products are not good.

The artificial sweeteners are implicated as carcinogens.

When you consume something that tastes sweet, your body expects that you have taken on some calories.

Your body is clever and soon notes the lack of calories and then various hormones trigger a hunger response.

You can't easily fight your hormones.

An excellent BBC documentary, The truth about food, in 6 parts, shows this perfectly.

Carbohydrates (sugars) are as addictive as cocaine and heroine.

It is easy to say cut out carbs but in practice, not easy to do.

Giving up smoking is easier but giving up a food type is not.

You don't need tobacco but you must have food!

You need fat to transport some vitamins and minerals but the right type of fat.

Avocardos, coconut, eggs, proper olive oil, and animal fat as examples.

In moderation of course.

Trans fat is pure poison as it gives no nutrition but actually blocks some chemical reactions required for proper digestion.

There is a ton of scientific evidence to justify this.

If you need to exercise, do the equivalent of running to catch a bus.

Occasionalle, go flat out but for a very short time and leave it at that.

Finally, we just bought a vibration plate machine (it was very cheap).

The auto setting runs for 11 minutes and it's such fun to use, both my wife and I use it several times a day.

We are gaining muscle and probably bone density.

Weight is staying about the same but the inches round the waist is going down.

In fact I dare say that weight will increase with more bone density and muscle but as long as waist size reduces we are OK.

IMO, The best and easiest way to assess your health risk is the waist to hip ratio.

Waist Circumference divided by Hip Circumference

Waist to Hip Ratio Men Women

Ideal 0.8 0.7

Low Risk <0.95 <0.8

Moderate Risk 0.96-0.99 0.81 - 0.84

High Risk >1.0 >0.85

In other words if your belly is bigger than your hips, you got trouble!

As to what your percentage fat is, use a mirror.

Print the attached picture and use it as your guide.

Good luck

attachicon.gifBodyFatPercentageWhatItLooksLike.jpg

You are right! But if he goes drinking the diet coke will be the better option for the vodka/whiskey than the sugar one. As I told the whiskey pure + some water would be even better.

While you are right the artificial sugar isn't healthy, it isn't as terrible as well. If the options are artificial sugar or the fructose in the coke, I would go for the artificial sugar. Luckily I don't like sweet so it is easy for me to don't eat both of them. But others love sweet and it is difficult for them.

(I didn't drink coke for years and tried it recently, the normal coke tastes bad, but the sugar free tastes like thinner).

I would avoid Coke Zero and any other products with artificial sweeteners*. Many reports and studies claim artificial sweeteners to be damaging for your health, especially Aspartame, aka. “Nutrasweet”; some studies claims than drinking “zero” soda makes you gain weight (obese); however very few studies, including e recent one, frees Aspartame from the bad reputation. I would let confusion and doubt in favor of “don’t” and instead enjoy a well tasting real sugar-sweetened Coke and limit it to maximum one or two a day (@ 25cl-33cl, not 2 liters each). smile.png

Edit: *)Some chewing gum sweeteners are fine and healthy, like Xylitol that has dental health benefits.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

I would avoid Coke Zero and any other products with artificial sweeteners*. Many reports and studies claim artificial sweeteners to be damaging for your health, especially Aspartame, aka. “Nutrasweet”; some studies claims than drinking “zero” soda makes you gain weight (obese); however very few studies, including e recent one, frees Aspartame from the bad reputation. I would let confusion and doubt in favor of “don’t” and instead enjoy a well tasting real sugar-sweetened Coke and limit it to maximum one or two a day (@ 25cl-33cl, not 2 liters each). smile.png

Edit: *)Some chewing gum sweeteners are fine and healthy, like Xylitol that has dental health benefits.

drinking "zero" sodas definitely doesn't make you gain weight. They may make you more hungry so you may it more. I am very critical to the fructose syrup in the coke.

I don't drink neither zero nor normal coke, but if the original poster must have a coke, I would take the artificial sweetened one. But, it is a decision between two bad solutions....

these last few posts are very amusing .... but also very dangerous ....here is the truth ...refined sugar is poison !!! in any format ....

Ant that's the real problem.

Today's food is so adulterated with chems to make it last longer on the shelf.

With added sugars to give flavour since the fat and fibre have been reduced etc. etc.

It makes it nearly impossible to eat a healthy diet.

Along with the lies we are told by big companies who rate profit more important than health.

Same for the medical and pharma mob.

Just look at the conflicting messages in this thread, and they are all given sincerely I am sure.

If the OP generally reduces sugars and carbs and increases fruit n veg he would be on a better track for good health.

The occasional "party" or going totally over the top should not be a problem if the average consumption is generally of good quality grub.

We can scare ourselves silly by tinkin too mut!

Those fruit, veg and meat/fish sellers in Thailand who use formaldehyde to preserve the pesticide laden, hormone and antibiotic riddled GMO products so you can't see its "past its sell by date".

So we think we are eating healthily LMFAO!

Glad I'm really old and won't have to suffer this shit more than til the end of my life LOL

(I do feel sorry for the grand kids though).

For H90, fructose and alcohol can only be processed by the liver, it's a chemical thing.

When the liver is overloaded with alcohol, we know it makes you fat because it pumps fat directly into your blood stream, triglycerides go up along with cholesterol etc., all made from carbs, not from eating fat.

Cirrhosis of the liver follows if the abuse continues too long.

Same story for fructose, there are folk who never touched alcohol with cirrhosis from fructose......

Moderation in all things, but have fun and enjoy life, it's the only one you'll get!

these last few posts are very amusing .... but also very dangerous ....here is the truth ...refined sugar is poison !!! in any format ....

With added sugars to give flavour since the fat and fibre have been reduced etc. etc.

Along with the lies we are told by big companies who rate profit more important than health.

Just look at the conflicting messages in this thread, and they are all given sincerely I am sure.

If the OP generally reduces sugars and carbs and increases fruit n veg he would be on a better track for good health.

The occasional "party" or going totally over the top should not be a problem if the average consumption is generally of good quality grub.

Those fruit, veg and meat/fish sellers in Thailand who use formaldehyde to preserve the pesticide laden, hormone and antibiotic riddled GMO products so you can't see its "past its sell by date".

Glad I'm really old and won't have to suffer this shit more than til the end of my life LOL

For H90, fructose and alcohol can only be processed by the liver, it's a chemical thing.

When the liver is overloaded with alcohol, we know it makes you fat because it pumps fat directly into your blood stream, triglycerides go up along with cholesterol etc., all made from carbs, not from eating fat.

Same story for fructose, there are folk who never touched alcohol with cirrhosis from fructose......

Moderation in all things, but have fun and enjoy life, it's the only one you'll get!

Well I wouldn't blame only the companies.....It is written on the package and the people buy it. I guess with less or no sugar the people won't buy it that much.

If unhealthy products with sugar would sell bad, fast there would be new products on the market. Just most people don't care about it.....

No it is not. It is just unhealthy if you eat too much of it.

In moderation no problem. We eat it since even before we were humans (in the form of honey), just in small quantities.

• Like 1

Well I wouldn't blame only the companies.....It is written on the package and the people buy it. I guess with less or no sugar the people won't buy it that much.

If unhealthy products with sugar would sell bad, fast there would be new products on the market. Just most people don't care about it.....

I'm trying to add a link to YouTube

[url= http://youtu.be/Ar7g_26QWu0]

Did it work?

No, so Google YouTube for Thug kitchen

Enjoy, I think it's what you are talking about LOL

Edited by laislica

In moderation no problem. We eat it since even before we were humans (in the form of honey), just in small quantities.

h90 .... your understanding is less than zero ... before we were humans ? &lt;deleted&gt; ? our genes now are 99% the same as 10,000 years ago , we ate what was in season ... every processed carb today is converted to sugar , anything that contains high fructose corn syrup is treated in your body as a toxin .... fructose from fresh fruit in small quantities is fine , we do not need Carbs or Sugar ....Cancer thrives on Sugar .....

• Like 1

Comment to a number of posts about sugar vs. light (Coke vs. Zero)...

It’s a question of balance and common sense, both for a slim-size life-style and choosing healthy food. Our bodies need sugar for fuel – there are some 8 essential kinds of sugar, meaning that we need them, and some of them we do hardly get enough of – but excessive intake is bad. Massive amounts of both refined sugar and artificial sweeteners are consumed daily without people dying in the streets from aspartame or sugar poisoning. Drinking a couple of liters or more of coke daily over a longer period may be dangerous, whether normal or zero – even more when supplemented by trans acid fat snacks – but a small coke or two now-and-then will not make a big difference, if any. Believe that goes for all – or at least most – of what we consume, too much is bad; and too little can in many situations also bee bad. Same with the fast junk food, you will survive a visit at McD or KFC, but it may not benefit your long-term health if that’s the major or only dishes on your personal menu card.

And by the way, some recently published scientific studies shows that when it comes to sugar only – the “bad” stuff in our bodies weight balance – sweet sodas (glucose + fructose) and natural fruit juice (fructose) gives our body about same amount of sugar intake; it’s the fructose that is changed to fat in the liver. However the scientists also said, that the study shall not stop you from drinking a glass of juice with your breakfast or eating fresh fruit with benefits from all the vitamins. Furthermore the “light” drinks without fructose but sweetened with aspartame can cause fatty liver disease, especially when also colored with caramel.

Another study showed that drinkers of light soda (3 cans or more a day with artificial sweeteners) became fatter than the control group; however the study did not take into consideration what else the test persons consumed of food. Some suggests that light-drinkers eat more; others suggest that obese people prefers light drinks.

In my opinion there is no reason to be scared of food as long as we are not overdoing – both individual items or the amount of food in general – balance our diet, and use a bit of common sense. wink.png

8 essential kinds of sugar lol ? really ? your not even close ..... no such thing as essential sugar ....

essential fats , essential proteins , essential minerals ...i have never heard of essential sugars let alone 8 of the little fellaslol ... if you eat a balanced plant based diet , with adequate amounts of protein and healthy fats you do NOT need anything else .....

FYI ... what you call sugar from these drinks is not recognized as sugar in your body ... it is treated as a toxin, putting enormous load on your liver and they are highly addictive ... studies have shown processed sugar is 8 times more addictive than cocaine ...

• Like 1

h90 .... your understanding is less than zero ... before we were humans ? <deleted> ? our genes now are 99% the same as 10,000 years ago , we ate what was in season ... every processed carb today is converted to sugar , anything that contains high fructose corn syrup is treated in your body as a toxin .... fructose from fresh fruit in small quantities is fine , we do not need Carbs or Sugar ....Cancer thrives on Sugar .....

Also not processed carbs are converted to sugar in the body.....As I told (and as you repeated: "in small quantities is fine") only small quantities. If it comes from fresh fruits or out of the factory doesn't matter.....

We eat approx. the last 10.000 years a lot carbs....(but not sugar).

Comment to a number of posts about sugar vs. light (Coke vs. Zero)...
It’s a question of balance and common sense, both for a slim-size life-style and choosing healthy food. Our bodies need sugar for fuel – there are some 8 essential kinds of sugar, meaning that we need them, and some of them we do hardly get enough of – but excessive intake is bad. Massive amounts of both refined sugar and artificial sweeteners are consumed daily without people dying in the streets from aspartame or sugar poisoning. Drinking a couple of liters or more of coke daily over a longer period may be dangerous, whether normal or zero – even more when supplemented by trans acid fat snacks – but a small coke or two now-and-then will not make a big difference, if any. Believe that goes for all – or at least most – of what we consume, too much is bad; and too little can in many situations also bee bad. Same with the fast junk food, you will survive a visit at McD or KFC, but it may not benefit your long-term health if that’s the major or only dishes on your personal menu card.
And by the way, some recently published scientific studies shows that when it comes to sugar only – the “bad” stuff in our bodies weight balance – sweet sodas (glucose + fructose) and natural fruit juice (fructose) gives our body about same amount of sugar intake; it’s the fructose that is changed to fat in the liver. However the scientists also said, that the study shall not stop you from drinking a glass of juice with your breakfast or eating fresh fruit with benefits from all the vitamins. Furthermore the “light” drinks without fructose but sweetened with aspartame can cause fatty liver disease, especially when also colored with caramel.
Another study showed that drinkers of light soda (3 cans or more a day with artificial sweeteners) became fatter than the control group; however the study did not take into consideration what else the test persons consumed of food. Some suggests that light-drinkers eat more; others suggest that obese people prefers light drinks.
In my opinion there is no reason to be scared of food as long as we are not overdoing – both individual items or the amount of food in general – balance our diet, and use a bit of common sense. wink.png

there are no essential sugars....

8 essential kinds of sugar lol ? really ? your not even close ..... no such thing as essential sugar ....

essential fats , essential proteins , essential minerals ...i have never heard of essential sugars let alone 8 of the little fellaslol ... if you eat a balanced plant based diet , with adequate amounts of protein and healthy fats you do NOT need anything else .....

FYI ... what you call sugar from these drinks is not recognized as sugar in your body ... it is treated as a toxin, putting enormous load on your liver and they are highly addictive ... studies have shown processed sugar is 8 times more addictive than cocaine ...

sugar from these drinks is exactly the same way processed as the sugar from an apple.

8 times more addictive than cocaine??? Than we should allow cocaine....Too much sugar isn't healthy but ridiculous comparison don't help.

You can any time stop to eat sugar without any problems and without any drug clinic....Many people do that every day for their diet without any problems. Surely much easier than stop smoking.

h90...... google high fructose corn syrup ..read about the process your body goes through to get rid of it ...tell me what sort of carbs do u think we ate in the last 10,000 years ?

yes I know and what do you think is different than the process of the fructose from the apple? It is processed the same.

Since we developed farming we eat mostly carbs. I agree it isn't healthy and we go back a 1.000.000 year or more where we ate mostly protein and fat....But still 10K years since we developed farming.

no it does not process it the same way ...read about it ...one is natural the other is not ... HFCS and Ethanol are almost identical ...., would you drink ethanol? the industrialization of food has been very rapid in the last 50 years ..what you see in the supermarket is a result of that , rows and rows of sugar ....

• Like 1

I think that I have lost about 1 kg a week for the last three months with no issues with skin. I have done this with exercise and diet and it hasn't been a breeze.

Essentially I think most of my weight was lost by walking..yes easy walking. However I have walked a lot on the treadmill.

I eat what I want but I also eat a lot of greens..even if i feel full.

I think the greens really make a difference to outcome. I hated to eat green salad and vege items but I eat them anyway and my weight is really attuned to the food I eat.

Good luck

no it does not process it the same way ...read about it ...one is natural the other is not ... HFCS and Ethanol are almost identical ...., would you drink ethanol? the industrialization of food has been very rapid in the last 50 years ..what you see in the supermarket is a result of that , rows and rows of sugar ....

the fructose is made from corn....

And natural or not natural doesn't make any difference. The molecule is the same and the body doesn't know where it comes from. HFCS and Ethanol are very different kind of molecules. Look at a structure formula.

Yes...you almost can't find anything in the supermarket without sugar. And these things without sugar are just cheating...."apple juice concentrate", "grape juice concentrate" for example are pure sugar with everything apple/grape removed.

But people buy it. Now it is almost impossible to buy sausage without MSG. People don't care. Thailand has a huge amount of people with diabetics. Either Thai people eat even more sugar than the west, or they are a bit more sensitive to it.

What daveAustin said is about the worst advice anyone can give, second only to the chocolate cupcake diet. You will gain that weight back immediately if you do that and you will feel like garbage water fasting for a week. I am speaking from experience.

An excellent diet is the keto diet. It is a low carbohydrate, high fat, medium protein diet. I have been on it for about two months and have lost 12 kilos. I feel more sustained energy and am sleeping better than I have in a long time. I combine the diet with strength training and cardio. You don't need to starve yourself on it or eat unappetizing food. Eating a low carbohydrate over a long term period will help you keep the weight down and curb your cravings as well. I recommend you take a look at www.reddit.com/r/keto. You can also read a book on it called "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald but you don't need to read a long book to get started. PM me if you want any more information on it.

Agreed. But i would supplement with chicken and beef shake.

Herbal Life with their water buffets in the morning is a good start and provides support when you start. Yes they encourage a lifestyle change by drinking more water and counting calories and eating the right foods. I am not suggesting you could not do this on your own but the support is great and the simple instruction is very good. Drink 5 litres of water a day if you are a man and 3 litres if you are a woman. I checked this out and that is recommended water intake at all times. You may actually drink more if you exercise. I found out on my own that in order to lose weight that one must exercise 90 minutes every day. The 20 minutes/day 3 times/week is if you are maintaining your present weight. Herbal life encourages you to count calories and I found out independently that to lose 1 lb. every week you need to reduce your calorie intake below the recommended calorie intake by Herbal Life by 500 calories/day. So my target is 1200 to 1500 calories/day. I may exceed that on some days which means it will take longer to reach my goal. Eating the right foods is critical. No sugar. No coffee. No burgers. No Cola. No ice cream. Little bread - whole wheat only. No cheese. Eat lots of veggies and a little meat. Doctors recommend meat the size of a deck of playing cards/ week ( this is not a herbal life recommendation). Fish is OK. What meat one does eat including fish should be grilled not fried. No oil or very little. Drink as much unsweetened green tea as you want.

It sounds rather difficult but it is really quite easy with the right motivation and self discipline.

Herbal Life with their water buffets in the morning is a good start and provides support when you start. Yes they encourage a lifestyle change by drinking more water and counting calories and eating the right foods. I am not suggesting you could not do this on your own but the support is great and the simple instruction is very good. Drink 5 litres of water a day if you are a man and 3 litres if you are a woman. I checked this out and that is recommended water intake at all times. You may actually drink more if you exercise. I found out on my own that in order to lose weight that one must exercise 90 minutes every day. The 20 minutes/day 3 times/week is if you are maintaining your present weight. Herbal life encourages you to count calories and I found out independently that to lose 1 lb. every week you need to reduce your calorie intake below the recommended calorie intake by Herbal Life by 500 calories/day. So my target is 1200 to 1500 calories/day. I may exceed that on some days which means it will take longer to reach my goal. Eating the right foods is critical. No sugar. No coffee. No burgers. No Cola. No ice cream. Little bread - whole wheat only. No cheese. Eat lots of veggies and a little meat. Doctors recommend meat the size of a deck of playing cards/ week ( this is not a herbal life recommendation). Fish is OK. What meat one does eat including fish should be grilled not fried. No oil or very little. Drink as much unsweetened green tea as you want.

It sounds rather difficult but it is really quite easy with the right motivation and self discipline.

Numerous studies already shown coffee to be a very helpful drink for heart and weight loss.

I would be interested to know who recommends no coffee for weight loss

• Like 1

Numerous studies already shown coffee to be a very helpful drink for heart and weight loss.

coffee / caffeine supports weight loss.....maybe they mean with coffee that large brown something which is half some chemical milk replacement and the other half sugar?

Not the pure thing?

http://factsaboutherbalife.com/media/2012/12/Product-Warning.pdf

make your own mind up .....

if your motivated u make your own , if your lazy u drink this crap ...

caffeine in moderation is a good metabolism booster ..black and organic that is ...

good coffee is best black and fresh from the espresso machine.....as worse the coffee gets as more you need to mix inside to keep the taste acceptable.....

But I recall that I once ordered an espresso in USA and got half a liter of something strange......Different country.....Different coffee....the German Filterkaffee is also something difficult to consume.....

coffee / caffeine supports weight loss.....maybe they mean with coffee that large brown something which is half some chemical milk replacement and the other half sugar?

Not the pure thing?

Yeah, its hard to understand.

Caffeine is a stimulant, which would assist in weight loss, either by increase in blood circulation or/and energy boost.

Not all people are tight asses and drink instant, some can afford decent coffee machine and coffee beans.

Last time i checked, boiled water does not contain any chemicals.

But no doubt you know more