Tyres on PCX 150

kurita

Dear everybody,

I would like to know if I could replace stock IRC tires with Michelin City Grip.

Front 120/70/14
Rear 140/70/14

(That's a little bit bigger than stock)

Would it be more stable ?

Anybody done it before ? How is the quality.

Thanks so much for your help

Regards,

Mine came stock with Dunlops. Rides fine in the wet.

Be aware that most problems with tires in the rain are from tires with lots of miles on them. When new the tire cross section is round, so transitions into the turns easily.

When the tire has some miles on it, the centre section of the tread gets worn flat, so more of a 'corner' when going from straight ahead to leaned over making the turn.

This is disconcerting to inexperienced riders, as it feels like the bike will fall over quickly. Also does not help traction !

Best bet - purchase quality tires at the start of the rainy season. The profile will remain more or less rounded and give good traction thru the 'Wet'

Mine came stock with Dunlops. Rides fine in the wet.

Be aware that most problems with tires in the rain are from tires with lots of miles on them. When new the tire cross section is round, so transitions into the turns easily.

When the tire has some miles on it, the centre section of the tread gets worn flat, so more of a 'corner' when going from straight ahead to leaned over making the turn.

This is disconcerting to inexperienced riders, as it feels like the bike will fall over quickly. Also does not help traction !

Best bet - purchase quality tires at the start of the rainy season. The profile will remain more or less rounded and give good traction thru the 'Wet'

Great tip, thanks. i guess a Pirelli tire would be best bet at above entry-level price.

I have pirelli tires on my PCX and they are fantastic, the first time I rode around the moat could tell the difference in grip.

Nice Moe, do you have a price and model name ? Did your shop do an exchange on new stock tires for the Pirelli ?

I hope to trade my stock ones in part-exchange when I buy new next year, but not sure if that is common here.

• 1 year later...

The next door neighbor just replaced both PCX tires with slightly larger ones and was very positive about the change. Sorry don't know how big they are.

The trouble with these reports is also that the brand may have changed.

One example I read is someone changing from stock to City Grip Michelins and saying that the 'larger tyres' were amazing.

Someone else put stock sized City Grips on and said they were amazing.

I believe there will be a slight improvement in COMFORT with a little extra air-cushion. I don't think the contact patch will be greatly affected and I'm not so sure you're going to lean the bike much to justify it anyway.

I'm in no hurry, but I'll replace the Dunlops with City Grips 100/70 and 120/70. I'm sure the Pirelli's are fine too (they were my choice for my GSX-R).

Edited by ben2talk

Interested to know which ones are regarded as the best wet/dry tires for PCX for safety.

Thanks !

This is interesting. I started with a brand new 1981 CM125, then CB250RS, GT250 2stroke, and gradually got bigger n crazier until returning to a smaller size. This is my first scooter.

However, I'd say that safety is virtually always a rider function. I used to consider super-sharp powerful brakes as a handicap (I saw many accidents) until I needed the braking power myself. Answer- learn to modulate.

PCX brakes are hardly strong enough as they stand... in the dry it's a hard job to lock either wheel. In the wet, you should learn whatever limit your grip has when the need arises.

That doesn't mean test it at home and then use the same force when needed - that doesn't work either.

I'd trust the Michelin City Grips and Pirelli tyres equally. Having said that, I don't feel unsafe with my Dunlops. I also cannot remember the last time that I needed to apply enough pressure to my brakes to worry about losing grip on any tyre or road surface.