Problems With Locals

I wonder

About 2 months ago I ran over a small dog with my Fortuner. Here's what happened. There were around 5-6 dogs 'sniffing' something in the road. I brought the car to a complete stop and blasted the horn; at which time they scattered. Not being sure if all of them were out of the road (Fortuner has limited view in front over the hood) I took off VERY SLOWLY; almost at a crawl. Didn't matter. Joe the Stupid dog decided whatever was in the road was more important than his life. Bump.

I got out of the car and had run over his body with the left front tire; his eyeballs had popped out from the weight of the beastly Tuner. Pretty gruesome sight. Anyway there was a kid about 10 years old standing close by. I pointed at the dog and said in English "your dog"? He pointed down the road to a house. At this point I'm thinking.....farang in a new Fortuner......dead dog.......how much is this gonna cost me? Anyway I got back in the car and drove home (in the same village) about 2 kilometers away.

I phoned my TW after I got home and she just said forget it. So I did. :o

I never heard anything about the incident after that. These <deleted> dogs are allowed to roam free in the streets; doesn't take a genius to know that some of them will be run over. Not the drivers fault IMO.

My advice, ignore it and don't pay JackShite.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be one of the Thai logic things, but think Darwin here. If the dog was not smart enough to get out of the way, then it was it’s time. It is certainly not like you deliberately chased it down and the witnesses could verify that. Who said the dog was not depressed and wanted to die because it was looking forward to it’s next life. That does nothing for Thai logic, so in short I agree with GuestHouse in post #6.

..... and no I am sorry (in advance) I did not read all the posts just the first few.

There's the answer !

Tell the aggreived folks that you went to a temple and spoke to a monk. The monk assured you that the dog's death was meant to be, and it is now on it's way to being reincarnated. He also assured you that the animal is now one step closer to enlightenment.

They aren't likely to argue with the wisdom of a monk and may let the whole matter drop (be careful if they start pressing you for details on which temple and which monk you spoke to though !)

There's the answer !

Tell the aggreived folks that you went to a temple and spoke to a monk. The monk assured you that the dog's death was meant to be, and it is now on it's way to being reincarnated. He also assured you that the animal is now one step closer to enlightenment.

They aren't likely to argue with the wisdom of a monk and may let the whole matter drop (be careful if they start pressing you for details on which temple and which monk you spoke to though !)

I think if you take this advice they will realy think your taking the p1ss out of the beleifs they hold and will take deep offence. IMHO :o

Maybe you did acciently and didnt know, pr maybe it was someone else who ran it and they really think you did it.

Just go there and say the truth, tell them you sorry for the loss of the dog, i didnt know i ran any dog over and if i did then im sorry.

Then go home and have a bear

Wow first a dog and now a BEAR

Making peace with the neighbors makes one ravenous :o

"where was it? I hit a dog the other day doing 160kmph, ripped the fvcker clean in two"

A buddy of mine who has lived here for a long time had a similar incident...he was coming home at night in his Mitsubishi and ploughed into a German shepard which ran into the road. The dog's head came clean off and part of his upper body got wedged in the radiator. My friend had to grab one of the legs and pull the carcass out then clean all the blood/tissue off when he got back to his house. I'm not sure how fast he was going, but it wasn't 160kph. Some guy who claimed to be the dog's owner was threatening my friend on the scene. All my friend had to do was reach into his wallet and show this guy the name card of some big time policeman he's friends with. Just goes to show that if you know people in high places, it makes life a lot easier in these situations.

Hit a dog in Cambodia once. My driver didn't have a chance and had hit the thing before he had even started to break. The poor mutt went flying ahead of us and then we skidded over the top of it. It was pretty grim as it rattled the underneath of the car and was howling. The driver stopped dead and just sat there trembling. I jumped out of the car and ran back to the dog.

He was a real mess, but still alive. 3 Legs were broken and he was obviously in a lot of pain. I ran back to the car, grabbed my knife and went back to finish the poor thing off. Once I was sure it was dead I threw it into a ditch by the side of the road. Getting back in the car my driver was still really upset, and just said "I just killed a dog". "No you didn't, I did" I replied and showed him the blood on my hands and on the knife. His face lit up in a big smile and he fired up the engine and off we went!

Amazing how his demeanour changed once he knew he hadn't actually dispatched the thing.

Incidentaly, the rules of the housing community state that dogs are not allowed to rome free and are even supposed to be muzzled. Needless to say none of the dog owners do this anymore of course. Thai culture?

So there is your answer. Tell them that you did not run it over and also pass them a copy of said rules with the "pet" section highlighted.

If you bother, also pass them a copy of the corresponding thai law (maybe someone on the forum can look it up for you), just to make it clear to them that whoever ran over the dog has no responsibility whatsoever.

We had two Thaidogs 3 years ago (brother/sister) who used to like romping across the rice paddies opposite our house, but got over excited ate the sight of chickens, resulting in the bitch being shot and eaten. Both had collars on....wot the hel_l its a farang owned dog.

Be respectful for their loss but pay Mr JackShite ###### all.

BTW I always aim for them and speed up,,unsuccessful so far :o

We had two Thaidogs 3 years ago (brother/sister) who used to like romping across the rice paddies opposite our house, but got over excited ate the sight of chickens, resulting in the bitch being shot and eaten. Both had collars on....wot the hel_l its a farang owned dog.

BTW I always aim for them and speed up,,unsuccessful so far :o

It helps if you paint a set of 'Sights' on your windscreen. Just line em up and wallop!

Just a thought, but what if u careered into a pack of soi dogs, at a respectable speed of course, causing all sorts of mayhem and carnivoral carnage, would the "owners" come rushing out to lay claim to their dogs in order that you could dish out your financial claims for damage to your vehicle ?? :o:D

OneeyedJohn' post='835232' date='2006-08-04 14:13:27']

BTW I always aim for them and speed up,,unsuccessful so far :D

It helps if you paint a set of 'Sights' on your windscreen. Just line em up and wallop!

Proper trajectory tracking requires the utilization of “Two Eyes” for proper depth perception in order for success, however.

:o

Edited by sriracha john

While I think all little yappy rat like dogs should be put out of their misery (preferably by being run over by a Fortuna..slowly), I have to agree with Guesthouse. Express your sorrow for the dog being dead, and and if in fact that you did do it, express sorrow for that. But also say, that you would have known if you had done it or not, and would have happily admitted to doing it if you were sure it was you.

You could drive down the soi blating Carl Orf's Oh Fortuna and watch the critters scatter. :D

If as was stated there were not supposed to be any loose dogs I would be looking for money to replace a tyre. :o

OneeyedJohn' post='835232' date='2006-08-04 14:13:27']

BTW I always aim for them and speed up,,unsuccessful so far :D

Proper trajectory tracking requires the utilization of “Two Eyes” for proper depth perception in order for success, however.

:o

You're right of course....can't even pour a glass of wine without spilling it first.

But at least I'm King in the land of the blind :D

Thai people culturally a loath to admit guilt, let alone apologise for it, so it is a bit rich expecting it from you.

Not only that, but I've yet to meet a Thai who actually feels responsible for an accident. Apart from some of the Western-educated urban middle class, I think the general attitude to accidents like this is that it was the animal's karma to die in that way on that particular day.

I was once in a taxi that hit a pedestrian and immediately took off at high speed up Ekamai Road on the wrong side of the road to avoid a traffic jam, and all the while the driver was babbling about the money he'd have to pay if he was caught. Not an iota or remorse or personal responsibility.

In the case of this puppy I think any apology is likely to be followed by expectations of compensation that no one would even dream of if the driver was Thai.

Anyhow, as promised here's an update....................................

Turns out that the main mouth in the matter who had been kicking up a fuss and phoning my TW was the sister of the owner. Mysteriously she was the only eye witness, the others actually began to loose interest when we didn’t make much of the event because our priority was our daughter, in hospital with pneumonia.

Ended up spending a week away and when we got home nothing was said but there was a splash of sand where the dog died.

When I drove by the site it was obvious that if my vehicle ran over it then it must have been either standing next to the parked pick up, making it clearly visible to me, which it was not, or it ran out as I passed and the rear wheels got it.

My TW couldn’t quite understand that I was not going to go around to the sister’s house and argue with all the bystanders speculating about various possibilities.

As far as I am concerned the owner is the only person I was prepared to discuss the matter with and told my TW to invite her to our house if she wanted, always best on your own turf etc. My TW disagreed and said that everyone would want to come.

This is when it became difficult to explain that I really did not give a sh*t about what they all thought and that their only interest was trying to prove my guilt and make me a black heart.

So after discussing it and getting a little irritated with each other we decided to not discuss it further and had a shag instead.

Now……………who can guess who was supposed to be looking after the dog on that fatal day?????

Who was the idiot that decided to disregard the rules of the residential complex and let the dog wander around the road???

Who was the idiot that was too idle to take the dog for a sh*t and pick up the mess after it???

Who was the grief stricken soul that swore she saw ME through my dark Fortuner windows??? F’in miracle in itself because you can not see in from outside.

Who is the sh*thead that wants someone to blame for her incompetence???

Yep, you got it, the f’in sister that was doing all the shouting.

End of story.

Thanks again for all your support.