How to get immigration letter for drivers license and bank account?

HI, have had some replies to my posts suggesting I will need to get a letter from immigration

to apply for a drivers license and to buy a vehicle and to open a bank account.

I have an O/A retirement visa and a letter from the headman of our amphur validating I have

a residence to live etc so not sure what the purpose of the immigration letter is or what it

states? Anyway, I've learnt the best thing to do when applying for anything in Thailand is

take as much info as you can so I'll play.

Does anyone know what I should be asking for and where I could get this in Bangkok?

I am assuming that you are here on an Extension of Stay, not a "retirement visa" (there is no such thing).

You should be able to get the Letter of Residence from the same Thai Immigration office where you do your yearly extension. At least that is the case in my "local" Immigration office (Korat/Dan Kwian).

I have used a Letter of Residence twice for renewing Thai drivers licenses, and once when applying for the yellow Tabien Baan.

I cannot speak to the specifics as far as documentation needed for a person on a retirement extension of stay to obtain the Letter of Residence; my extension of stay is based on marriage. My requirements were:

- My passport with photocopies of: the photo page, current permission to stay stamp, TM6, current entry stamp

- Wife's ID card

- Wife's tabien baan

- Marriage certificate

My original Thai drivers licenses were obtained using a work permit. That is also how I opened my bank account here.

The letter from the poo yai might help at Immigration; I am not sure. But I doubt it will be of any use for your other purposes.

Also, I do not believe that you can get one Letter of Residence and use it for multiple purposes...at least in the case of obtaining the drivers licenses, and applying for the yellow tabien baan, the Letter is not returned to you.

Edited by mgjackson69

The TM18 is not the correct form Use this one: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf

You would need to get the certificate of residence from the immigration office where you do your 90 day reports.

If the letter from the headman is on letter head it may be accepted by the drivers license office and for vehicle registration.

For the bank it may not be needed. It just depends upon the branch you go to. Some will tell you that you need a work permit.

• Like 1

The Thai immigration link i posted is 10 years old now, and is set as a pinned thread - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/631223-immigration-templates/

I see the form tm18 from my immigration link in fact downloads form tm20, there is a link further down that is correct .

Ubonjoe if there is a a new immigration link could the pinned thread be amended

The Thai immigration link i posted is 10 years old now, and is set as a pinned thread - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/631223-immigration-templates/

I see the form tm18 from my immigration link in fact downloads form tm20, there is a link further down that is correct .

Ubonjoe if there is a a new immigration link could the pinned thread be amended

The posted link is the same webpage that I use to get links to downloads.

I get the correct one for the TM18 when i copy the link address. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm18.doc

The TM18 is not really the correct form to apply for a certificate of residence that most people want.

I normally post the PDF file link because not everybody can open the doc files correctly due to software problems.

You can open the PDF versions be clicking the PDF logo.

• Like 1

The Certificate of Residence form only has options for a driving licence (car or motorbike) or buying/selling a vehicle (car or motorbike).

If the bank insists on a Certificate of Residence for opening an account do not be put off by the greeter saying that Immigration does not have a form for providing this. The solution I found was just to request the C of R for a driving licence and present that to the bank. This worked with the TMB Bank for me.

The form I posted a link to gives a choice of drivers license or other.

"I wish to apply for residence certificate and the following reason. / ขาพเจาขอยนคื่ ําขอหนังสือรับรองถิ่นที่พักอาศัย
โดยมีเหตผลด ุ ังนี้
Driving License Other "

A letter from your embassy is also acceptable, however embassies charge for this service immigration don't (shouldn't).

I got the letter from immigration and as well as the Doc's already stated they wanted copies of every page of my passport.

The lady asked me if I would like to pay a "service fee" 500b was suggested, I told her no thank you and she said "wait till next time"

Incidentally, I have taken copies of the immigration letter which I will try to use again when needed.

They are also proof that I live in Thailand and am not a tourist for things like entry to national parks.

Edited by Robby nz

Some embassies deliver the "residency certificate" free of charge

thumbsup.gif

A letter from your embassy is also acceptable, however embassies charge for this service immigration don't (shouldn't).

I got the letter from immigration and as well as the Doc's already stated they wanted copies of every page of my passport.

The lady asked me if I would like to pay a "service fee" 500b was suggested, I told her no thank you and she said "wait till next time"

Incidentally, I have taken copies of the immigration letter which I will try to use again when needed.

They are also proof that I live in Thailand and am not a tourist for things like entry to national parks.

as she said "WAIT TILL NEXT TIME" also copies of the letter wont be excepted for a renewal of drivers licence [not in korat] and the letter in korat 500bht.

The letter from the US Embassy costs $50.

The Certificate from my Immigration Office, Nakhon Sawan, costs 500baht as did the one that I got from them 5 years ago.

Some members report getting them for free others either 200 or 500 baht.

There have been many posts that say that they are free, but I have never found a link to any official site that says that they are free.

If the cost isn't officially defined as extensions are, it leaves it open for the offices to set the fee that they want to charge.

Various people and agencies are in theory competent to issue the letter:

village head man

local town hall

local police

immigration

consulate (not necessarily your own)

though not all of them may be aware that they can do it, or know how to do it, or understand why you want it.

Also if your name is in a yellow house book then technically this can replace the letter.

But the main question is which ones your local motor vehicles office or bank branch will accept as valid. It varies wildly from place to place and the only way you can know is to ask them first, or get advice from someone who has done it recently in that particular motor vehicles office or bank branch.

Some members report getting them for free others either 200 or 500 baht.

There have been many posts that say that they are free, but I have never found a link to any official site that says that they are free.

If the cost isn't officially defined as extensions are, it leaves it open for the offices to set the fee that they want to charge.

The list of all official charges is available for inspection in the immigration office, and online.

Any charge that is not in the list, or for which you dont get an official receipt, is by definition not an official charge.

Anything that is not an official charge is just a scam.

What is needed is for the Immigration department to make this an official service (either free, as it should be, or with a nationwide fixed and official charge and receipt). This would be especially useful for people who live in areas where Immigration sometimes wont issue a letter at all, or take weeks to do it.

• Like 1

The whole thing is a bit of a mess.

It's been an expat myth that my local immigration does not produce CoR's rather it doesn't accept any of these forms.

To obtain one first I need a letter from the test center / DoT / bank requesting that the local immigration confirm my address.

After that I produce the letter along with photos, copy of wives TB and ID and my passport and copy at immigration.

It takes 2 hours and is free - the test center charges 20b for the initial letter tho'

If anyone has difficulties getting a certificate from their local office, try this route.

• Like 1

I got my 'Certificate of Residence' from the local Police Station....free.

Passport, Rental Agreement as proof of address, landlords Tabian Ban and ID card.

I used that C of R to open a bank account, attain my drivers licence and purchase a motorcycle without any problems.

Never went near Immigration or my Embassy.

In Jomtien, they charge 300 baht for a residence certificate and will give a receipt so presumably it is an official charge. If you require two at the same time, the charge is only 500 baht (if you are applying for a driving licence, the Land Transport Office sometimes insists on one original RC per licence i.e. car and motorcycle). They have (free) forms at the office and the whole process takes (at Jomtien) about an hour. I provided 2 passport copies (per RC so 4x for 2x RC), copy of my passport and current visa pages, and proof of address (receipt from guest house in my case).

I am confused as to what you need.

Bank: 12yrs ago I was in Pattaya on holiday and went to the local SCB Bank and just opened bank account only showed my passport. Now living in Khon Kaen and 1 yr ago opened new account in the SCB Khon Kaen branch, passport only. 4 months ago opened new account with another bank, passport only.

Drivers License: 5 months ago went to the Khon Kaen office with my yellow house book, international drivers license, my New Zealand license and received my Thai 1 yr license within 2 hrs from the start.

I was never asked for any of the documents you and others have spoken about, so sorry I am confused.

shaurene, on 10 Nov 2014 - 09:44, said:

Bank: 12yrs ago I was in Pattaya on holiday and went to the local SCB Bank and just opened bank account only showed my passport. Now living in Khon Kaen and 1 yr ago opened new account in the SCB Khon Kaen branch, passport only. 4 months ago opened new account with another bank, passport only.

Drivers License: 5 months ago went to the Khon Kaen office with my yellow house book, international drivers license, my New Zealand license and received my Thai 1 yr license within 2 hrs from the start.

I was never asked for any of the documents you and others have spoken about, so sorry I am confused.

Your Yellow house book (Tabian Ban) is proof of residence issued by your local Amphur office.

In most cases, expats do not have this book and therefore need to get a 'Certificate of Residence' to appease officials.

If you do not have the yellow book then a letter of residency from YOUR EMBASSY is all you need along with your passport photo and of course legal status here in Thailand I assume you have a long term one.

This is all you need

I have done this 2 times so know

I am also confused. The first time I got a Thai Driving licence I only had to show my passport and UK driving licence. The last time after I got a Thai Driving Licence after the old one had lapsed a few years previously, I only showed my old expired licence, my Rotary Business Card with name and address on it, watched a stupid nonsense Thai Driving Safety video and got a 6 year driving licence.

If you do not have the yellow book then a letter of residency from YOUR EMBASSY is all you need along with your passport photo and of course legal status here in Thailand I assume you have a long term one.

This is all you need

I have done this 2 times so know

Why the capital letters ? Your method is one way, it can also be a very costly way - if i were to do this, I would need a two nights in Bangkok and a 2000 km round trip.

As previously mentioned, you can get a certificate that will suffice from the local tessaban or ampur. A recommendation for a bank account can come from the village headsman / local businessman .. some people with connections can probably get a letter from the police station.

It seems like the OP is seeking a certificate of residence from the immigration dept. which is a pretty straightforward route.

I am also confused. The first time I got a Thai Driving licence I only had to show my passport and UK driving licence. The last time after I got a Thai Driving Licence after the old one had lapsed a few years previously, I only showed my old expired licence, my Rotary Business Card with name and address on it, watched a stupid nonsense Thai Driving Safety video and got a 6 year driving licence.

It depends on the office that you use, just like immigration offices in different provinces.

Your Yellow house book (Tabian Ban) is proof of residence issued by your local Amphur office.

In most cases, expats do not have this book and therefore need to get a 'Certificate of Residence' to appease officials.

Easy to get a yellow "Golden" housebook from your local Ampher. Cost nothing or ฿20-฿30.

Copies with your signature accepted everywhere for all purpose for many years.

Khunangkaro, on 10 Nov 2014 - 10:37, said:
Faz, on 10 Nov 2014 - 10:01, said:

Easy to get a yellow "Golden" housebook from your local Ampher. Cost nothing or ฿20-฿30.

Copies with your signature accepted everywhere for all purpose for many years.

Again that depends on the Amphur in question.

There isn't a detailed list of documents (that I've come across) to get a Yellow Tabian Ban, that is at the discretion of the office concerned.

If you have such a list please share it.