How to get immigration letter for drivers license and bank account?

Two things - after reviewing all the posts...

1. Almost every immigration office, administrative section of a police, drivers license office, local Ampoe office --- ALL seem to have the same trait -- there are few if any consistent standards across the Thai Nation by which an Expat can expected to be processed.

This is not a disaster ... when in a new area - just expect the unexpected from the process where you last did the same thing.

And accordingly on TVF immigration threads and those about drivers licenses and permission for buying a motorcycle and a car or truck vary depending on the locality. So how about we all give each other a BREAK and assume the experience in their locality AND Personal Situation just may be different from yours - but valid none the less. There are exceptions of course - when a person just perceives incorrectly what he/she did last time at the processing office...

So much bickering going on for what? This is Thailand ... very little is consistent from place to place except inconsistency. So Expect it.

Walk a fellow member through a process - not jab a finger in his eye.

2. To the person who posted that there is no such thing as a Retirement Visa ... Correction - yes there is - Non Imm Category 'O-A' which is obtained in one's home country at a Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Requirements for an 'O-A' are nearly identical in nature as the Extension of Stay based on Retirement and it functions in a very similar manner also, with a few interesting variations...

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

I agree with Jdgruen......the easiest way is to simply walk in to your motor registry and ask what they require....even get them to write it down for you. They won't bite you.

Ok it may mean you need to visit twice, but since they all appear to operate different to each other....try this approach.

• Like 1

The British Embassy charges around 3000 baht and you fill in the from yourself and they just stamp it. Excessive cost is an understatement.

The UK government must be amongst the biggest thieves in the world, how can anyone seriously be proud to be British, they rob the taxpayers to finance MPs "expenses" and give away taxpayers money in overseas aid, they rob OAPs of their annual pension increases if they live in most countries outside the UK. They are nothing but thieving stinking rich scum.

I am also confused. The first time I got a Thai Driving licence I only had to show my passport and UK driving licence. The last time after I got a Thai Driving Licence after the old one had lapsed a few years previously, I only showed my old expired licence, my Rotary Business Card with name and address on it, watched a stupid nonsense Thai Driving Safety video and got a 6 year driving licence.

It depends on the office that you use, just like immigration offices in different provinces.

In other words TiT.

JDGRUEN, on 10 Nov 2014 - 11:28, said:

2. To the person who posted that there is no such thing as a Retirement Visa ... Correction - yes there is - Non Imm Category 'O-A' which is obtained in one's home country at a Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Requirements for an 'O-A' are nearly identical in nature as the Extension of Stay based on Retirement and it functions in a very similar manner also, with a few interesting variations...

Have to agree with the original poster.

You can get a Non Imm O-A based on a number of reasons, that's why it isn't called a Retirement Visa - No such thing!

• Like 1

You can get a Non Imm O-A based on a number of reasons, that's why it isn't called a Retirement Visa - No such thing!

The only reason if for being over 50. It is called "long stay", or in practice, retirement.

paz, on 10 Nov 2014 - 18:01, said:
Faz, on 10 Nov 2014 - 15:31, said:

The only reason if for being over 50. It is called "long stay", or in practice, retirement.

Sorry Paz, for the Non Imm O-A Visa you must be retired in receipt of a state pension as proof to get this Visa based on your intention to retire in Thailand.

It is the Non Imm O that is issued to those over 50 (but not meeting the requirements of an O-A Visa) based on the intention to retire in Thailand.

I'm over 50, but not in receipt of a state pension. I can't get the O-A type Visa. No Thai wife, no Thai family either.

So both the Non Imm O and the Non Imm O-A Visa can be sought for the purpose of retirement in Thailand dependant on individual circumstances, but the word 'Retirement' is only shown on an 'extension' not a Visa.

Sorry Paz, for the Non Imm O-A Visa you must be retired in receipt of a state pension as proof to get this Visa based on your intention to retire in Thailand.

it is not so. Probably you're referring to the confusing statements made at times by the embassy in the UK, however it's not the case even there.

Edited by paz

In Jomtien, they charge 300 baht for a residence certificate and will give a receipt so presumably it is an official charge.

There is no official charge. They like you pay 300B for instant delivery, or you can pay 200B and come back tomorrow, or you can pay 0B and come back a few days later.

I have never heard of them giving an official receipt for this. Maybe they just scrawl something on a bit of paper.

Easy to get a yellow "Golden" housebook from your local Ampher. Cost nothing or ฿20-฿30.

Copies with your signature accepted everywhere for all purpose for many years.

The last I heard Pattaya DMV does not accept the yellow house book. That may have changed again, of course.

The purpose of having a house book is that any government office can easily identify you and your address.

No need to keep supplying all those other documents as proof of ID and/or address.

When applying for the house book, passport details, proof of address are all recorded on the government database. Your book will contain a number that is unique to you. Any government office only needs to run that number through the database to get all your details.

So much easier than having to show Rental Contracts, Landlords ID, Certificates of Residence, Passports, etc

The snag is getting one..........not so easy in some Provinces.

Non immigrant Visa

(Retirement / longstay)

• To stay after retirement for a person who over 50 years old or older: (Category “O-A”) This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited

http://www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=Type_of_Visa

This is from the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. website - as per the LINK just above.

Their website has been revamped recently it seems - and this information about retirement used to be on two different pages - thus the confusion for some as to whether it is a Retirement Visa or not...

Non immigrant Visa

(Retirement / longstay)

Also Americans are not limited in applying for the 'O-A' Retirement - Long Stay Visa by nature of having to be age 65 and on a Government Pension.

Americans are under no such restrictions except 50 or over, meet financial requirement with money in American bank Equivalent to the 800,000 Baht, criminal background cert, and health cert.

It is unfortunate that for reasons not fully understood that people from the U.K. are discriminated in this way as compared to people from America and other countries.

Also Americans are not limited in applying for the 'O-A' Retirement - Long Stay Visa by nature of having to be age 65 and on a Government Pension.

Americans are under no such restrictions except 50 or over, meet financial requirement with money in American bank Equivalent to the 800,000 Baht, criminal background cert, and health cert.

It is unfortunate that for reasons not fully understood that people from the U.K. are discriminated in this way as compared to people from America and other countries.

The 65 year old rule is not for OA visas it is only to get a multiple entry non-o visa at one of the consulates.

"ELIGIBILITY

• Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)"

The 65 year old rule is not for OA visas it is only to get a multiple entry non-o visa at one of the consulates.

"ELIGIBILITY

• Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)"

Sorry -- The Thai Embassy rules for Brits is a bit confusing... I was combining the two... In this regard I am happy that the luck of the draw of immigration to the Colonies back in the 1700's got my Ancestors to America ... hehehehe

I have an O-A visa that I got back in February 2013 and I am still here on that same visa. You can get nearly two years out of it if you time it right. I have never yet applied for an extension of stay. I will have to apply for my extension in January 2015 when my visa finally runs out. My O-A visa was issued by the Thai embassy in Washington DC. It only took one week by express mail to DC and back to Florida including processing time. I did have to leave Thailand one time and come back in to renew the same visa for one more year. Otherwise, I have only had to do my 90 day reports.

I am glad they have updated the information page linked to in the above post by JDGRUEN. It was slightly confusing before. Much clearer now.

Edited by Issanman
  • Like 1

Easy to get a yellow "Golden" housebook from your local Ampher. Cost nothing or ฿20-฿30.

Copies with your signature accepted everywhere for all purpose for many years.

The last I heard Pattaya DMV does not accept the yellow house book. That may have changed again, of course.

That was certainly the case in July, insisted on a residency certificate from Thai Immigration.

Looks like the UK sites have also been updated.

I wanted an O-A but was verbally told by the London Embassy I didn't qualify as I wasn't in receipt of a 'state pension' although I had proof of savings and regular income from 'private pensions' that met the financial requirements.

I was directed to Liverpool who issued a single Entry Non Imm O, which they said was because I was over 50 but not 65 and receiving a 'state pension'

Looks like now the Non Imm O is only issued to those married, Thai family or 'state pension' earners.

Category "O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, Retirement (with State Pension

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

The Non Imm O-A for those between 50 and 65 with other funding methods.

Apologises where necessary, but sorry JD, I stick with my statement there is no such Visa as a 'Retirement Visa'. There are Non Imm O and Non Imm O-A that can be for the purpose of 'Retirement' but also many other purposes as well.

Edited by Faz

"ELIGIBILITY

It is not a 65 year rule. You can be 65 without a state pension but you cannot have a state pension without being 65. The state pension is the controlling factor with this visa.

Not sure how they would deal with females on this one

sandyf, on 11 Nov 2014 - 13:32, said:
ubonjoe, on 11 Nov 2014 - 09:28, said:
JDGRUEN, on 11 Nov 2014 - 09:22, said:

"ELIGIBILITY

It is not a 65 year rule. You can be 65 without a state pension but you cannot have a state pension without being 65. The state pension is the controlling factor with this visa.

For the purpose of intended retirement in LOS, only the 'O' Visa requires proof of a state pension. (according to the website)

The O-A financial requirements can be met by a number of different methods.

My own personal experience was that they also issue the 'O' with other financial proof other than a 'state pension' (not on the website)

'O-A' applications must be sent to the Embassy in London.

Consulates can issue the 'O'

sandyf, on 11 Nov 2014 - 13:32, said:
ubonjoe, on 11 Nov 2014 - 09:28, said:
JDGRUEN, on 11 Nov 2014 - 09:22, said:

"ELIGIBILITY

For the purpose of intended retirement in LOS, only the 'O' Visa requires proof of a state pension. (according to the website)

The O-A financial requirements can be met by a number of different methods.

My own personal experience was that they also issue the 'O' with other financial proof other than a 'state pension' (not on the website)

'O-A' applications must be sent to the Embassy in London.

Consulates can issue the 'O'

I was responding to a comment regarding the Non Imm O visa based on retirement.

OP try not to understand any logic in bureaucracy.

The immigration for my province point blank refused to issue a confirmation of my address (as already used in 90 day confirmations - have a "new boss" etc).

My local test centre refused to accept any address for renewing my licence except 1) Immigration 2) Embassy - ditto other offices in the province (no mention of the yellow house book which I do not have, nor a WP).

Travelling to & staying at Bangkok & paying the absurd embassy fee cost 15-20k in total inc loss of earnings from wife's business.

What's wrong with the form Immigration confirmed to accept my 90 day submissions or a signed rental agreement from my landlord inc ID & conformed by amphur? In the end my embassy accepted a copy of my wife's rental agreement on which my name was not even included. Ridiculous.

REF Post # 51 above.

Dear fellow members: As you notice the discussion of the issues surrounding the issuance of the Non Imm 'O' Visa and the Non Imm 'O-A' visa - is complicated by real differences and variances in these Visas as handled by the Thai Embassies and Consulates in the U.K. versus in the USA and other countries - and all mixtures in between. In a few cases it is quite different for unexplained reasons. Again - TIT This is Thailand.

And I apologize for the one post with the miss-assumed error I made a few posts earlier,

But one thing we can clearly see from the link I posted to the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. website - they post information about an "O-A" visa that is Long Stay / Retirement.

But to the issue as to why the Thai Government does not think it is important to have consistent and identical requirements for these two visa categories mentioned above - consistent with other how they are administered in Thai Embassies and Consulates in other Western Countries is a total mystery to me. They do not even seem to try to justify it. It is just what we have to deal with.

But in the TVF immigration forum this kind of inconsistency - non standardization policies and procedures across Thailand in any and all bureaus and government offices dealing with tourists and Expats - it is a constant source of confusion, disagreement and conflict when members interact.

I know I am stating the obvious and most everyone knows it ... but IMO we need to step back - take a deep breath and apply this known quantity of no standards to our interactions with others and apply more understanding of - as we use to say - back in the day --- "know where he's coming from" ...

Edited by JDGRUEN

It's not only here. Just try getting a DL in the US. There is not one license, there are over 50 depending on what state or territory that you apply and they all have there own quirks ind rules. In most of the states you can turn right on red after a full stop, but don't try it in DC, ticket time if caught. In some you can get it at 16 years old, others 18, some require a motorcycle endorsement others don't, etc., etc.

All you need to do is go to your local police station and ask for a 'proof of residence letter' and it's FREE. Don't forget to take supporting documents. That is all the Transport Office need, however, a visit to your Immigration office will achieve the same but probably at greater cost..

• Like 2

All you need to do is go to your local police station and ask for a 'proof of residence letter' and it's FREE. Don't forget to take supporting documents. That is all the Transport Office need, however, a visit to your Immigration office will achieve the same but probably at greater cost..

You should let the Pattaya office know, they think it has to come from Thai Immigration.

• 2 months later...

I successfully applied for a residence certificate at Bangkok Immigration at Chaengwattana today. 200 baht fee asked for, no receipt given.

Oddly, the transaction was directed to the J2 counters at CW Immigration where they also seem to process tourist visa extensions.

At any rate, what they seemed to need/want was:

--1-page Residence Certificate application form from the Immigration website

--photocopies of my passport facepage, prior extension and arrival stamps, and my departure card.

What I didn't bring, but it seemed I needed to, was my current 90-day reporting slip. They kept asking if I had done my 90 day reporting when looking at my passport and papers. And I kept answering no, I hadn't, because my time wasn't anywhere near due yet. But in the end, the officer handling my documents seemed to explain that they required me to give them my 90-day slip (or a copy of it) in order for them to submit my application.

In the end, one of the other officers there looked me up on their computer, and printed out a copy of my current 90-day slip, which they then attached to the rest of my Residence Certificate application paperwork.

Gave me a little card back saying I should receive the Residence Certificate sent to my home by EMS within 3 weeks -- after they've had to chance to do whatever they will do to verify that my stated address is correct. Have no idea what that entails.

post-58284-0-76070600-1422346242_thumb.j post-58284-0-56820300-1422346243_thumb.j

I had other business to do at Immigration today, so the residence certificate application was just a secondary item that I had been thinking about in terms of an upcoming application for a Thai driver's license. In searching through the forum here, I didn't find a clear list of just what is supposed to be submitted along with the residence certificate application itself, so I bought along the usual passport pages and departure card photocopies.

Just in case, I brought along some other address related things like a copy of my home lease and some utility bills listing my name and address. But the Immigration folks didn't ask for anything else beyond my application form and the passport and departure card photocopies -- all of which they also wanted me to sign, as is usual.

John, check with your local Transport Office the period they will accept your C of R.

Our local office only accepts C of R no longer than a month old.

Having received my C of R from the local Police station, I went the next step and got a Tabian Ban.

Sure beats having to provide all those other documents of proof of address again and again to the various bodies.

Ya... I know there is some shelf life for C of Rs as far as the Department of Land Transport is concerned. I thought here in BKK it's longer than a month, but really haven't spent any time checking that.

As much as anything, I just wanted to go thru the application process for the first time, since I'd never done it before. I had to be down at Immigration today for a different piece of business that was my primary mission anyway. So now I know how to do it, what BKK Immigration wants and expects. So I'll either be able to use the C of R I receive in a few weeks in the mail, or will know how to easily get one next time.

If anyone knows for certain how long a validity the DLT offices in BKK will give to the C of Rs, please do post it here. Thanks!