Camping and dogs?

Trujillo

I think the NP rule says no dogs allowed. But a couple of times over the years I have seen, at Khao Yai NP, campers with very small puppies. My guess is you wouldn't get in if you showed up with a large dog. We camp quite often at NP's and other then two times mentioned we have never seen dogs in the parks so would be interested to know which parks poster "taotoo" took his dog?

Dogs crapping on the beach. Now on campsites! Is there no end to lunatic dog owners who inflict their madness on normal people?

That is what bothers me about dog owners. Many of them have no consideration for others and let there dogs run free. I am not a dog lover and do not appreciate them climbing up on me. But the dog owners seem oblivious to others.

Sorry to sound offensive to all dog owners some do look after their dogs when out in public. But many don't. One other thing if camping do they keep the dogs quiet. Who wants to go camping and listen to dogs?

In all fairness I can see where many lap dogs would not be a problem.

Glad to see Northernjohn has intelligence, good sense and a balanced view. In reply to his question about barking dogs: when dog owners become senile enough to own a dog, not only does their sense of fair play desert them but also they lose their sense of hearing. They are deaf to the noise their animals make; careless of the effect this noise has on saner members of the world.

After a life-time of labour in (noisy) workplaces, their dream of a tranquil retirement is shattered by the selfish choices of the dog owners. I am sure if they were having a quiet day on the beach amusing themselves at would-be swimmers avoiding the mess their dogs had created, these same dog-owners would be enraged if a family of Thais parked three metres from them and turned the bass/volume up on their stereo equipment.

After a crying baby in the night, a barking dog is the second most stressful noise. Do you think dog-owners consider this when they inflict their life choices on the rest of the world?

MB and NJ are just anti dog regardless...

The OP asks a question about a dog policy question to seek clarification...

Write to your your congressman to change policies if you don't like them...

And your argument is dog lovers would be enraged about Thais (why insert Thais here?) causing noise three meters away while those who don't like dogs would be happy as clams?

An example of poor reasoning I would say....

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

Cardinal, thank you for your post. I love it when folk try to justify the indefensible.

I am anti-thoughtless dog-owners which is not the same as anti-dog.

I inserted Thais because we are in Thailand (haven't you noticed?) I had not noticed the correlation between having a dog and poor levels of comprehension until I read your post. Let me explain what I said in as many short words as I can find. I (attempted) tried to compare (liken) the selfish noise of a ghetto blaster inflicting pain on people's eardrums on a beach with the selfish and stressful noise that retarded dog-owners inflict on every one else's eardrums (all over Thailand - there are rules against this in Europe and the US.)

Writing to a congressman is even poorer reasoning; 1) I am a retired farang ex-pat; living in Thailand - as such I have few rights and no congressman.

2) I am not American.

Cardinal, thank you for your post. I love it when folk try to justify the indefensible.

I am anti-thoughtless dog-owners which is not the same as anti-dog.

I inserted Thais because we are in Thailand (haven't you noticed?) I had not noticed the correlation between having a dog and poor levels of comprehension until I read your post. Let me explain what I said in as many short words as I can find. I (attempted) tried to compare (liken) the selfish noise of a ghetto blaster inflicting pain on people's eardrums on a beach with the selfish and stressful noise that retarded dog-owners inflict on every one else's eardrums (all over Thailand - there are rules against this in Europe and the US.)

Writing to a congressman is even poorer reasoning; 1) I am a retired farang ex-pat; living in Thailand - as such I have few rights and no congressman.

2) I am not American.

Not French are you?

Most national parks it's officially not allowed, but very worth sneaking a dog in as dogs really really like running around, swimming and chasing small wildlife. Camp site may be more difficult as they often have some sort of oversight by national park staff. My money is still on getting away with it if you offer to keep the dog on a leash while at the camp site.

A retired ex-pat or a disgruntled old white man?

Your posts are full of generilazations snide remarks and just plain negative about dog owners...

Why do you even comment on dog threads? Attacking a volunteer org like Care for Dogs who is trying to be an advocate in the lack of poor dog management policies in Thailand...

I don't like how Thailand's manages stray dogs and the lack of enforcement of guidelines and laws of those who do own dogs...your complaints should be focus towards those responsible for dog management...

You put all dog owners in one pot with your comment that dog owners would be first in line to complain in your example..in reality you have no idea what type of people complain the loudest..owning a dog has no bearing in your example...unless if you can cite a study between dog owners and non dog owners as determining factors...

Writing to your congressman is an expression meaning get actively involved in the local process in thailand to bring about desired change as you want it...

Yes, it's a back-handed slap and you tell me if this is a fair assessment...you are more of a complainer than a doer on this issue? It would take too much time energy and effort on your part to learn to bring about change in a foreign culture...

You find yourself in a helpless no win situation...dogs are everywhere in this culture, poorly regulated and many irresponsible dog owners leads to a few barks distorts to barking all night and feces of any kind to it's dog sh*t?

It all starts with positive thinking and adjusting...

CB

• Like 1

I am only disgruntled about thoughtless dog owners - I love my retirement here in Thailand.

I did not attack Care for Dogs' - I said it was an oxymoron which means a pairing of opposites; dog & Thailand. You have only to look about to see the terrible suffering these animals undergo.

Sorry to misunderstand about the congressman - I am not American. Surely by joining such a forum as this I am trying to do exactly what you ask of me; namely

getting 'actively involved in the local process in thailand to bring about desired change as you want it...'. By seeking to educate the many thoughtless owners that they are not alone in the universe, I am hopeful of changing attitudes.

My generalisations about 'barking' are based on the specific fact that living in close proximity to 4 neurotic dogs & their selfish owners my peace & that of the other 50 house owners are disturbed on a daily/nightly basis.

Thankfully dog muck is not a problem due to strict rules/fines enforced by the Juristic Entity.

Eventually Thailand & you will catch up with rest of the civilised world which has legislated against this anti-social behaviour.

We camp quite often at NP's and other then two times mentioned we have never seen dogs in the parks so would be interested to know which parks poster "taotoo" took his dog?

Ob Khan lots of times - I think they might have cages that you're meant to leave your dogs in, but never used them and don't think I've ever been turned away, not even on a bank holiday when it was packed.

The NP waterfall halfway up Doi Suthep - not the non-NP one (and the temple itself).

The NP waterfall after the ATV place/snake show (and Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden).

Possibly others around CM but can't remember - certainly several in other parts of Thailand.

There are plenty of things in the natural world that Man has put a stop to by his superior intellect: curbing the spread of disease by constructing sewers; killing malarial bearing mosquitoes; treating milk to eradicate disease.

500 years ago it was natural to empty your chamber pot out of your bedroom window. 60 years ago in civilised countries dogs were allowed to roam free, spreading disease, causing accidents; worrying/killing new born lambs; attacking children etc. I don't need to go on to point out the serious flaws in your reasoning do I?

MB,

How many people died in WW2? 50 million? What about Cambodia in 75? What about recent Thailand events? What about anywhere in world now where man kills steals and injuries their own? I wiuldnt be touted man' s intellectual superiority...

Clearly you have a problem with dogs and animals but stated earlier you only have a problem with irresponsible dog owners..

The most important person you are lying to is yourself..

Maybe you need some behavioral mod in your life. Dealing with this problem head on and think about volunteering at an animal shelter once or twice a week...

You show the same signs of addiction and denial..time for intervention...

CB

CB, everyone else has moved on. There's just the two of us left. Whilst I enjoy a good debate like everyone else, I am reminded of the old adage; 'never argue with the ignorant; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Your amateur reading of my character suggesting an addiction to something; your animal shelter volunteer suggestion are laughable.

Let me make it clear for the final time: I have no problem with animals; (I have been a pet owner most of my adult life. My problem is with irresponsible owners who fail to realise the impact their pet has on other people nearby, whether on a beach, campsite or housing estate.

Debate closed. Thank you for the entertainment.

Mike bike,

Good reply..MB sure went off the deep end with illogical rant... fleeing like the dog he is...

Now we can get back to national parks and bringing man's best friend with him..

Looking forward to a future thread on the first dog park in CM. we'll see how ths concept works in bkk as they are planning 3 or 4...

In portland ore a growing trend for restaurants and breweries allowing you to bring your pet with you to dine...I don't see that one working in CM - not a dog friendly culture here yet...

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

Mikebell:

when dog owners become senile enough to own a dog

That puts paid to the idea that someone is using logic and clarity of thought.

My answer, which was found in the link provided in post number 2, is that it is prohibited to bring your dog into a national park. End of story.

Of course, you can try bribery, sweet-talk or otherwise break the law if you want, but for my purposes, that would not be ideal since the plan was to take the dog along on a longer road trip around the nation.

As for the inconsiderate person bringing man's best friend (well, most men anyway) along camping, you have to understand that in my experience (I am a Yank), those that contemplate bringing their dog(s) have animals that are well-trained enough that they will not cause a commotion or disturbance. Some posters are forgetting where they came from. While accidents do happen and there are jerks around the world, generally Westerners traveling with dogs are not only conscientious about this, but are considerate of others.

As someone familiar with camping and living and being around horses and outdoors-people, I have found that ...well, I was going to say "most" but the fact is I can't recall a single person who chooses to be in that outdoor setting who didn't either like dogs or at least have a good-natured acceptance of them being around. But as we see, there are exceptions.

As for Thais, I will let more informed posters tackle that one, but to my view, Thais that would even think of bringing a dog along camping would have a similar mindset as Western folks. Why bring a dog that isn't suited to being in a camping area? Contrary to popular belief, Thais aren't all deaf and oblivious to annoying animals; they too can be vexed when dogs bark incessantly or rampage through the garbage.

Cultural sophistication is not yet to the level in Thailand where the national parks' authorities believe that owners of dogs -- and the dogs themselves -- have been "trained" to the point were all can co-exist -- senile or otherwise. And this I understand.

Why don't you try trial and error with a few overnight local NPs in CM, MHS or CR? See how they handle it and get a feeling what latitude if any they might have? Sweet talk and a little money goes a long way in Thailand. It is not black and white as in America re laws/rules...

Much depends on how long you are gone, if you are flexible and willing to stay at low end hotels if rejected. Time of year and day of the week are very important...

When we lived in the South for a year, we took our two adult Golden Retrievers to every famous and not so famous beach down there. Never had a problem with authorities but none of these beaches were in national parks (what I can recall). The greatest issue we had were with soi/community dogs on the beaches as we were invading their territories so always looked for areas w/o dogs and people at that moment. Beaches like Kata, Karon, Krabi, Trang etc had a tendency to have more people but less soi dogs...We just constantly had to be aware soi dogs were. What we hardly found were ownership dogs at the beaches other than for small dogs staying under the shade with their owners. Sometimes we would encounter a medium to large dog under the supervision of a westerner but always pleasant dog interactions...

People who take their dogs on the road usually have well-mannered and non-aggressive dogs so I don't quite understand why some of the dog regs as they are not well thought out and not focusing on the real issue - the lack of soi/community dog management. Much more complex issue to deal with so the regs really are intended for low hanging fruit and gives the authorities a feeling they are accomplishing something.

It's not like NPs don't have dogs in them. I have seen two types - just a pack of loose dogs who some might have a kind of owner somewhere either inside or adjacent to the NP. One also sees those forest encroachers where their dogs (meaning feeding them but nothing more?) are in the presence of their owners somewhat. This was our experience in Isaan when driving from CM thru issan close to the Lao border. I have come to the conclusion many more dogs running about freely in isaan than in other regional sections which would work in your favor.

Thailand is so grey on regulatory compliance (in many subjects) so if one is flexible and willing to accept a no, yes, yes, no, yes no, yes, yes type pattern don't rule it out just b/c it's the law...

Could you imagine if I followed the burning law of our fields in CM, I would be the only one in CM...Regulatory enforcement (virtually non-existent to spotty to inconsistent) has no respect here so traditional practices takes precedent for now....

Approach it as everything in Thailand is negotiable (just the way it is here - not a personal comment on whether good or bad)...

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

Of course, there are restrictions on taking dogs in National Parks for a number of reasons, not just for the sake of rules:

1. rabies, and other diseases, can be spread between wild and domesticated mammals, in either direction.

2. some dogs do like chasing "small wildlife" around, as one poster I think put it, but the wildlife is in a NP or wildlife sanctuary partly to be protected from this kind of harassment.

3. dogs do often leave a mess behind them and also frighten some people with previous bad experience of uncontrolled dogs, and this can spoil some visitors' enjoyment of the park experience.

4. dogs can get lost in NPs if owners do not take enough care.

5. i've seen dogs 'attacked' by ticks, leeches, etc in parks too.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but that might be enough for now. Not arguing for or against, just listing a few possible reasons for the rules.

Edited by CMMCB