Chiang mai to seek at least bt23 million from tourism ministry for bike lanes

Lite Beer

Thailand and Cycling is a non starter.....

Dangerous as hell, unless you are off the beaten track, then you have to deal with the Packs of stray Dogs...

Not dangerous at all. If you ride a bike properly and have some nouse then it's a pleasure. Such statements put people off riding bicycles when in fact we should encourage bike riding. The bike festival on 5-7 December is a good starting point if you want to ride/learn about riding/etc. Talk to me there. I'll have a booth at the Festival: Chiang Mai Track Cycling Club.

Dangerous as hell, unless you are off the beaten track, then you have to deal with the Packs of stray Dogs...

Not dangerous at all. If you ride a bike properly and have some nouse then it's a pleasure. Such statements put people off riding bicycles when in fact we should encourage bike riding. The bike festival on 5-7 December is a good starting point if you want to ride/learn about riding/etc. Talk to me there. I'll have a booth at the Festival: Chiang Mai Track Cycling Club.

" If you ride a bike properly and have some nouse "

Do you know if there have been many incidents involving Chinese tourists on bicycles because they don't seem to possess these qualities? sad.png

• 2 weeks later...

I always make a point of warning those tourists that I see waiting at pedestrian crossings ( even those fitted with lights ) in Chiang Mai not to take it for granted that all vehicles are going to stop, there's a fair chance that bicycle lanes will also be ignored.

Do you know if there have been many incidents involving Chinese tourists on bicycles because they don't seem to possess these qualities? sad.png

I think their car driving is the same. Indeed, come to think of it, they also walk in the middle of the road!

As a gesture of goodwill towards cyclists, they could start off at a fraction of this cost by simply repairing the atrocious state of the extreme left side of many roads, and sweep up all the broken glass, which seems to just lie there for ever. Then experiment by actually enforcing the bike lanes that already exist within the walls of the old city. If they can't succeed with just this, then spending 23 million would be a complete waste of money

I think their car driving is the same. Indeed, come to think of it, they also walk in the middle of the road!

I was told they are involved in numerous regular accidents on motorbikessad.png

At least it forces the motorists to raise their awareness levels

Edited by Asiantravel

• 2 weeks later...

As a gesture of goodwill towards cyclists, they could start off at a fraction of this cost by simply repairing the atrocious state of the extreme left side of many roads

True. It forces bicycles to travel further towards the center or risk damaging the bike or having it overturn.

If a/any vehicle is not suited for road conditions either get the proper vehicle or go a different route. The big problem I have noticed with those riding bicycles (not refering to tourists) but the local and local expats who drive with no concern for rules of the road and seemly expect autos, motorcycles etc to give them the right of way.

These few, are the ones who give bicycle riders a bad name, and you know who you are, you have been here long enough (maybe too long) and your old enough to know better

• 3 weeks later...

I am leaving CM due to the cycling dangers. 2 weeks. Wahoo. The bike paths where I am going are like winding superhighways of cycling bliss.

I have always sought the back roads and dirt over the pavement but just too many close calls with the increasing numbers and unskilled drivers.

Sure it's exhilerating and keeps one in the moment but not worth compound fractures or worse. I guess I like myself too much.

A lot of cyclists are in deep denial. They reason that they have been riding a long time and never run over so it's okay. Everyday a person throws their legs over the bike its new odds.

I hope they do improve the infrastructure for bicycles over the years. They certainly have cheap land and labor to build paths such as Huay Tung Tau.

The cynic in me thinks the funds will build some corrupt official a nice estate or buy some shiny new cars.