Citizenship after 3 years of marriage

uajka

Hi,

I read that I could apply for citizenship after 3 Years of marriage to Thai female.

My question is, Is it important what country I got marriage?

I had wedding in Poland and after that we went to Thailand to change her passport and all the documents but we didn't have thai marriage. Is it a problem or doesn't matter?

Cheers

In fact this is not correct. You must have had a visa based on your marriage for three continous years. Plus many other items to be completed. For example speak thai test, tax paid, income. Suggest you contact a legal firm to get aĺl information.

In fact this is not correct. You must have had a visa based on your marriage for three continous years. Plus many other items to be completed. For example speak thai test, tax paid, income. Suggest you contact a legal firm to get aĺl information.

In fact you are not correct!

The visa doesn't need to be based on marriage, since for example my visa is based on work. You do need to be married 3 years to be able to apply for citizenship and you do need to have worked during this period and paid tax etc.

Furthermore you do not need to be able to speak Thai if you apply on above conditions. Although of course it will be an advantage if you can speak Thai.

Suggest you first get your facts straight, before commenting.

Edited by Cheops
  • Like 2

and you do need to have worked during this period and paid tax etc.

What if some farang has a registered marriage in Thailand for 6 years and he never worked in Thailand as he is over 50 years old and prefers to extend his stay in Thailand based on Retirement? Are there any chances for him to obtain the citizenship in Thailand? smile.png

• Like 1

What if some farang has a registered marriage in Thailand for 6 years and he never worked in Thailand as he is over 50 years old and prefers to extend his stay in Thailand based on Retirement? Are there any chances for him to obtain the citizenship in Thailand? smile.png

Hi Barin, as far as I know it's not possible to apply for citizenship if you are not working.

I don't think so, but my opinion is not very reliable. I think there's a sticky on one of the forums that addresses this, but sometime within the last year I read that the biggest consideration is that you have worked and paid taxes, or alternatively that you have established a successful business which employees Thai workers and pays taxes. The article I read stated explicitly that retirees wouldn't be eligible. I hope some more knowledgeable poster gives links to the appropriate sources. In fact I have known two Americans who got Thai citizenship, and in both cases they were successful business owners.

was he born in thailand or either of his parents Thai? If not the answer is zero chance.

Hi Barin, as far as I know it's not possible to apply for citizenship if you are not working.

I believe you can apply with an Investment Visa if not working. The whole thing is a points system and you must get enough points to pass. Points are based upon various things, including charitable contributions etc. It's not so much passing the barrier to apply, as it is to gain enough points to pass.

You DO need to be able to speak Thai, and actually I'm pretty sure you need to be able to sing the national anthem.

I believe you can apply with an Investment Visa if not working. The whole thing is a points system and you must get enough points to pass. Points are based upon various things, including charitable contributions etc. It's not so much passing the barrier to apply, as it is to gain enough points to pass.

You DO need to be able to speak Thai, and actually I'm pretty sure you need to be able to sing the national anthem.

no!

no!

Exactly! Thx Derek J M.

When apply for citizenship based on marriage you do NOT need to be able to speak Thai! Obviously it will give you advantages if you are able to speak Thai and frankly speaking it's quite stupid to not learn at least some basic Thai if you plan to stay here long term.

Hello Uajka.

Is it just possible that you are getting confused between 'Thai Citizenship' and 'Thai Permanent Residency'?

It is possible to apply for the latter after 3 years of living in the country and marriage is one of the qualifying factors. See the following website address for more details on this. I hope you find it useful. I hope to be able to do this myself eventually.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-permanent-residency.php

Regards to all.

You should look at the thread Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application. There is a lot of good information. While technically speaking you do not need to be able to speak Thai, the whole process is done in Thai and you are interviewed in Thai language. Qualification is based on a points system with 15 points for being able to speak, read and write Thai. There is also general knowledge test on Thailand which is written in Thai language with a maximum of 10 points. So if you have no Thai language skills at all you have automatically lost 25 points. You also have a preliminary interview at which a maximum of 5 points are awarded as to your personality by the interviewer. No Thai language skills are unlikely to get you many, if any, of the the points available here. So there goes 30 points. PR, no, then there goes another lump of points. It would be really difficulat to get the minimum 50 points to qualify without any Thai language skills and padding of the PR. You would pretty much need to pick up the maximum points on each of the remaining categories to qualify.

Read the other thread if you are serious about this subject as it will save you a lot of bother in the long run.

i believe it's residency that can be applied for after 3 years of visa extensions (don't think multiple entry visas apply) then after a certain number of years can go through the long process of applying of Thai citizenship

Think Residency is still a pain and only 100 people from each nationality are approved each year

here is link about applying for citizenship

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/

i believe it's residency that can be applied for after 3 years of visa extensions (don't think multiple entry visas apply) then after a certain number of years can go through the long process of applying of Thai citizenship

Think Residency is still a pain and only 100 people from each nationality are approved each year

here is link about applying for citizenship

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/

This is not correct anymore. In 2008 the law changed allowing foreign husbands of Thais to apply for Thai citizenship without the need for permanent residency. You need to have been married for a minimum of 3 years. Edited by GarryP

The visa doesn't need to be based on marriage, since for example my visa is based on work. You do need to be married 3 years to be able to apply for citizenship and you do need to have worked during this period and paid tax etc.

Furthermore you do not need to be able to speak Thai if you apply on above conditions. Although of course it will be an advantage if you can speak Thai.

No, he's right (Cheops), and you're wrong (nifty), almost impossible for a foreign male.

Anyone on this forum managed it? not more than two.

A few on the forum with citizenship due to a Thai parent though.

I have Thai Residency. You need to be able to stay on the same one year visa tied to a work permit with the same expiration date for 6 years. The requirements say 3 years which is misleeding because they only accept applications 2 weeks a year in December. So if you are a couple weeks short of the 3 years, you have to wait until next year to apply. Then you need to figure 3 years to process your application. If you lose your visa or work permit during this process, your application dies. You also may not change jobs during the process, or your application dies. Being married does not really help so they tell you. I always found that hard to believe and feel that it probably does. It shows your putting down roots. One thing being married does help with though. The government processing fee is halved if you are married. You do need to speak Thai and there is a test you have to pass. You do not need to be fluent, and in fact its better not to be. The reason is if your Thai language seems to be too good, they will pull your application out and ask you to come to immigration and the committee will want to grill you themselves in Thai to make sure your application is on the up and up. They also do like an interview with you in the Thai language and this is done on VDO.

I have been to the head police station where you apply for citizenship. The work requirements were the same, and in fact the requirements are not as much as getting PR. Who knows why, don't ask me. As far as I know you will never get citizenship in this country based on the fact your married to a Thai girl, ain't gonna happen. I would think the Thai language requirement would be the same, but I don't remember this as it has been years ago since I did this. One thing for sure is you have to sing the Thai National Athem over a microphone to a whole room full of people. That pretty well did it for me and I stopped at Permanent Residency.

I have had PR for some years now and everything is subject to change.

I have Thai Residency. You need to be able to stay on the same one year visa tied to a work permit with the same expiration date for 6 years. The requirements say 3 years which is misleeding because they only accept applications 2 weeks a year in December. So if you are a couple weeks short of the 3 years, you have to wait until next year to apply. Then you need to figure 3 years to process your application. If you lose your visa or work permit during this process, your application dies. You also may not change jobs during the process, or your application dies. Being married does not really help so they tell you. I always found that hard to believe and feel that it probably does. It shows your putting down roots. One thing being married does help with though. The government processing fee is halved if you are married. You do need to speak Thai and there is a test you have to pass. You do not need to be fluent, and in fact its better not to be. The reason is if your Thai language seems to be too good, they will pull your application out and ask you to come to immigration and the committee will want to grill you themselves in Thai to make sure your application is on the up and up. They also do like an interview with you in the Thai language and this is done on VDO.

I have been to the head police station where you apply for citizenship. The work requirements were the same, and in fact the requirements are not as much as getting PR. Who knows why, don't ask me. As far as I know you will never get citizenship in this country based on the fact your married to a Thai girl, ain't gonna happen. I would think the Thai language requirement would be the same, but I don't remember this as it has been years ago since I did this. One thing for sure is you have to sing the Thai National Athem over a microphone to a whole room full of people. That pretty well did it for me and I stopped at Permanent Residency.

I have had PR for some years now and everything is subject to change.

But this is talking about an application based on PR, not based on marriage to a Thai. If you apply based on PR then you must sing all those songs to a room full of people. If you apply based on marriage to a Thai, you do not need to sing those songs.

I know of several people who have received Thai citizenship based on marriage.

The rules changed in 2008. I am talking about foreign men. 5 years seems to be the average whatever category you apply under but there are those who haven't taken so long and others that are still waiting after 10 years.

The rules changed in 2008. I am talking about foreign men. 5 years seems to be the average whatever category you apply under but there are those who haven't taken so long and others that are still waiting after 10 years.

It is not easy and you need a lot of time

I have Thai Residence Permit for more than 15 years.

Workpermit and pay Taxes for 26 years

Married to a Thai for more than 35 Years

Passed the Thai Test

Have been singing the Kings - Anthem as well as the Thai National Anthem (with very good grades)

I passed the point system but...

Until now I have been waiting for more then 7 years. I know some Swiss Citizen who got the Thai Nationality after 8 years.

By the way, my 2 children both adult , got the Thai Citizenship after one year, naturally -

because there mother is Thai.

Good luck

Fenicios

• Like 1

I think the guy asking for general information as it seems he doesn't have a clue, I would suggest a little compassion not everyone is as clued in as you are, taking into account English is not his first language, though I must admit wonder if his spouse speaks Polish.

I think the guy asking for general information as it seems he doesn't have a clue, I would suggest a little compassion not everyone is as clued in as you are, taking into account English is not his first language, though I must admit wonder if his spouse speaks Polish.
My reaction was not to the OP, but to the one I quoted. My point was that if you comment you should either have your facts straight or not tell to the OP that he is incorrect. I'm trying to help the OP with clearing up some facts. I'm gathering the same info and plan to apply for citizenship soon as well.
  • Like 1

It is not easy and you need a lot of time

I have Thai Residence Permit for more than 15 years.

Workpermit and pay Taxes for 26 years

Married to a Thai for more than 35 Years

Passed the Thai Test

Have been singing the Kings - Anthem as well as the Thai National Anthem (with very good grades)

I passed the point system but...

Until now I have been waiting for more then 7 years. I know some Swiss Citizen who got the Thai Nationality after 8 years.

By the way, my 2 children both adult , got the Thai Citizenship after one year, naturally -

because there mother is Thai.

Good luck

Fenicios

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your application!

To my knowledge you can, but first would have to apply for perm residency and then citizenship.

If married and working, can skip the perm res and apply directly for citizenship saving around 200K in fees for perm residency as well.