Driving from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Oceanbat

Hi all,

I am going to drive from Bangkok to Chiang mai at Christmas. It's a long drive so I'm looking to break it into 2 tranches. Can anyone recommend a place to stay for a night and a day somewhere in the middle with a few sights?

Many thanks in advance,

OB

We make that trip, Bangkok to Chiang Mai a couple times a year. If you haven't already been then a good stop would be Sukhothai. You will probably be traveling up route 1 then when you reach Kamphaeng Phet take route 101 to Sukhothai. After you turn on to route 101 you will see signs to a "Hot Spring". It will only be a few km detour and definitely worth a stop for a relaxing and inexpensive hot mineral bath. Then continue on to Sukhothai. We stayed at the At Home guest house and recommend it. They have a parking area and serve excellent food. Check out their website for details: www.athomesukhothai.com

• Like 1

Do the trip frequently, if I need to stop over then always Khampang Phet. Has reasonable priced and cheap hotels and is exactly half way between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. You can do the whole journey comfortably in 8 hours but if you need to stop then at Khampang Phet the hotels are only a short distance from the highway.

Just to warn you the other day coming from Chiang Mai there were 8 police check points, one not manned, but only one going back. The only placed I have ever been asked for a Passport was at the one just south of Nakornsawan.

Sukhothai does make a nice stopover htough it will take you an easy hour off the rte… Mae Sot is 2 hrs off the rte and it is a trying ride through the mtns and nothing much to recomend when you get there…. Chainat is abt 1/3 of the way and has a bird sanctuary -- Tak or Kamphaeng PHet abt 2/3 the way - Tak has plenty of new and decent places to stay. Both have Ping River and markets...

Sukhothai does make a nice stopover htough it will take you an easy hour off the rte… Mae Sot is 2 hrs off the rte and it is a trying ride through the mtns and nothing much to recomend when you get there…. Chainat is abt 1/3 of the way and has a bird sanctuary -- Tak or Kamphaeng PHet abt 2/3 the way - Tak has plenty of new and decent places to stay. Both have Ping River and markets...

I was surprised to see your comment regarding Mae Sot :)

It is one of my favorite small cities in Thailand. The foreigners working there work with refugees and are interesting to talk to. The gem markets are Indo-Burmese owned. The "First Hotel" has the most amazing Teak woodwork I have ever seen. There's amazing seafood available. (comes from the Andaman)

I love the drive through the mountains (pine trees) and there are waterfalls etc (largest in Thailand)

I've done it a few times.. Once in just under 7 hours from Bangkapi to downtown Chiang Mai.

I did reach 140 kph on a few stretches. I wouldn't make it a 2 day journey..

Twice I was pulled over for speeding which only resulted in warnings both times.

If driving car, probably you prefer road #1 and two lane, so you can over take slower traffic.
If on a motorbike for sure road #11 is better, as you can over take anyways, and the road is newer renovated and in a lot better condition. Phitsanulok and hotel sri song kwae. It is right next to the big temple, bridge, super highway.

I recently did the big Mae Hong Son Loop from Bangkok, staying in Nakhon Sawan…Sukhothai…Mae Sot…Mae Sariang… Mae Hong Son…Pai…Chinagmai and Sukhothai. I’ve also had to go and visit the relatives in Nakhon Sawan 3 times in the past 2 years.

If you are going to Chiangmai and looking for “a place to stay for a night and a day somewhere in the middle with a few sights”, then straight away I’d discount Mae Sot – not much there, drive there was the worst on our trip with loads of drivers dangerously overtaking uphill on blind corners.

I’d visit Kamphangphet ruins on the way (they’re worth the effort – in 2 sites, take 1-2hrs), and then if time that day visit Sukhothai ruins, staying in the brilliant Sukhothai Heritage hotel [http://www.sukhothaiheritage.com/ ].

The hotel is owned by Bangkok Airways, is about 30 minutes north of Sukhothai on the road to Si Satchanalai, and is in the countryside next to the tiny airport which gets a couple of flights a day [https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&output=classic&dg=brw ]. The hotel either receives a flight with some wealthy package tour visitors or its vey quiet with just a few guests. It’s a lovely hotel – take a free bike and cycle the 10 minutes down to the airport and the small airport zoo). It’s also 30 minutes south of Si Satchanalai ruins where I’d spend the 2nd day (hire a bicycle when you are there – they’re dirt cheap) or do Sukhothai ruins and Si Satchanalai ruins the 2nd day (the latter are the better in my opinion – and you’ll likely have the place to yourself).

When leaving the hotel to Chiangmai there’s a very nice scenic drive via Lampang and Lamphun [leave on 101, then 11, stop off in Lampang – hire a horse and carriage to get to see Lampang quickly – then Lamphun, to Chiangmai].

I personally definitely wouldn’t drive it one go, way too far for my kids.

And do report back to let us all know how you got on.

• Like 1

We were driven by an expert local hostess..i couldn't try to drive the mean streets..(Chiang Mai).

Being from Hawaii..>hint<.

What I wanted to say was Green Lake Hotel in C.Mai is great if needing a place. 1000THB per nite.

Takin' the Bus..

Thanks for all the great tips..

Aloha