Bt100-million drug assets auctioned

webfact

WHAT I found missing in this story were some details such as dates and time spans (re: for one, "after the new Act relating to drug suppression measures was enacted, 31,196 drug cases with assets of Bt17.3 billion were seized."), and who is/was "Kosin Chuchai"? (owner of a Mercedes-Benz E-Class and a Rolex watch.)

I did really appreciate the in-depth explanation of a motivation for drug dealers. : "Permpong said the wealth accumulated by drug dealers motivated them to take risks to make more money." (Do you detect some sarcasm from me here?) "No shit, Dick Tracey."

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Did they auction off any high ranking "assets"....I could use a boy Friday.

What you do on Friday's is obviously your own business, don't want to interfere there.

But I think that is drifting off topic a bit.

IMHO of course.....................tongue.png

Nice, the cars come with the thai government badge on the intake. I guess that's how the drug lords were escaping police checks all these years.

No.... that badge belongs to the new owner who just bought it at the closed auction.... don't be silly//w00t.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why are the proceeds of the auctioned off property going to the Police ?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for Thailand for the proceeds to go to hospitals and schools ?

Good question. the quick answer: Police are first in line.

Whenever there's a theft reported in Thailand, or recovered goods involving cash or valuables, police expect kick-backs. This auction is yet another manifestation of that mind-set.

I've experienced it first-hand. I had a sum of money stolen out of my house. At first I didn't want to report it, because I had no trust in police finding thieves. But a Thai friend convinced me to report, so I did. To their credit, the local police caught the culprits and the cash (along with a personal item which could only have come from my house). However, the money wasn't returned to me straight away. It took about 3 hours of intense discussion before I got about 12% of the stolen cash back. You get one guess where the 88% balance went.

May I ask why only 12% ?

Was that 12% yours ? and who's was that 88% ?

IT ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE, IS IT???

before I got about 12% of the stolen cash back. You get one guess where the 88% balance went.

• Like 1

Always amazes me how we hear about such events ( Auctions , festivals, gigs or other celebratory events ) the day after they happen. Considering the amount of marketing students studying in Thailand and those thousands that have qualified through whatever Mickey Mouse University course , they do not do very well at it really, do they? At least form a farang point of interest that is. Cannot speak from a Thai point of view as i cannot read Thai advertsing as any ads are invariably in Thai.

Edited by daiwill60

Why are the proceeds of the auctioned off property going to the Police ?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for Thailand for the proceeds to go to hospitals and schools ?

Good question. the quick answer: Police are first in line.

Whenever there's a theft reported in Thailand, or recovered goods involving cash or valuables, police expect kick-backs. This auction is yet another manifestation of that mind-set.

I've experienced it first-hand. I had a sum of money stolen out of my house. At first I didn't want to report it, because I had no trust in police finding thieves. But a Thai friend convinced me to report, so I did. To their credit, the local police caught the culprits and the cash (along with a personal item which could only have come from my house). However, the money wasn't returned to me straight away. It took about 3 hours of intense discussion before I got about 12% of the stolen cash back. You get one guess where the 88% balance went.

May I ask why only 12% ? Was that 12% yours ? and who's was that 88% ?

88% went to the Police? Highly unlikely. Never happened.

Perhaps there are many naive people here on ThaiVisa who are unfamiliar with how Thai police do their jobs. Yes: 88% went to cops. I didn't speak Thai well enough to join in the discussions, and it looks as though my negotiators (Thai g.f. and her aunt) weren't very good at negotiating and/or didn't have enough leverage to counter the 4 cops who had already put the recovered money in their pockets by the time I showed up at the police station. Every 20 minutes or so in the 3 hour negotiations, the cops would turn to me and ask, "how much do you want returned?" I would say, "all of it." .....then they'd go back to talking Thai with my advocates.

And I quote direct from Article "Later on, that cash will be used to expand drug networks to become more complicated, which is hard for the police to cope with in drug suppression cases " he said. And meaning What ? It is hard to see there bribe money go to officers families who died in the line of duty? Please be clear.

And I quote direct from Article "Later on, that cash will be used to expand drug networks to become more complicated, which is hard for the police to cope with in drug suppression cases " he said. And meaning What ? It is hard to see there bribe money go to officers families who died in the line of duty? Please be clear.